Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 03:53 PM

36,543 posts, read 16,131,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Most people have closed minds especially after age 35yrs. What you may call pride/survival someone else may see as closed-minded. We are all guilty.
Well that may be true, I see it everywhere, but my mind blew wide open way, way after 35

Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,615,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
When's the last time you spoke with your god and your god spoke back to you? When's the last time you sat down with him/her face to face?

God has never spoken to me and I have never sat down with him face to face, but I think that would be quite something to personally experience either of the two. Its just not in the cards for me I quess; yet neither do I personally believe that he has recently spoken to any human or shown himself to anyone. Thats just my view of it;

dealing with God is nothing like so many others in public have claimed; not in my experience. He does not show himself, does not talk to you, and he cannot be manipulated by any kind of sentimental human behavior or deceptive blind claims that one has convinced themselves of!

God is unique and does not talk to humans.

Not yet! Not in my view; and theres absolutely nothing anyone can do about this.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,705,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
God has never spoken to me and I have never sat down with him face to face, but I think that would be quite something to personally experience either of the two. Its just not in the cards for me I quess; yet neither do I personally believe that he has recently spoken to any human or shown himself to anyone. Thats just my view of it;

dealing with God is nothing like so many others in public have claimed; not in my experience. He does not show himself, does not talk to you, and he cannot be manipulated by any kind of sentimental human behavior or deceptive blind claims that one has convinced themselves of!

Okay, meaning no disrespect, but let's play the devil advocate here, no pun intended. I have a question to your above sentence. Within your sentence you say that your god is nothing like so many others. How do you know this? You say he cannot be manipulated by any kind of sentimental human behavior or deceptive blind claims. How do you know this and who told you this?

You say your god is unique and doesn't talk to humans. How do you know this?

Not yet! Not in my view; and theres absolutely nothing anyone can do about this.
I ask the questions not to be disrespectful but to find out just how well you know your god. He may have talked to you in the past and you might not have known it or recognized it and then again, there's a possibility that there's no god it all. Stop and think about that, you had been taught that there is such an entity from the time you were born until the present, this is something that has been instilled in you from childhood and yet you have never seen or heard from this entity. As an adult, I would have a tendency to question its existence but then again that's just my line of thinking.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM

707 posts, read 691,044 times
Quote:

Although many do believe He can communicate with us, myself included. Communication can happen in many ways.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,408,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Although many do believe He can communicate with us, myself included. Communication can happen in many ways.
Or, much more commonly, no ways at all. Or have you evidence at all of a communication between any non human intelligence and a human? Ever? Anywhere?

No, didnt think so.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:17 AM

14 posts, read 10,395 times
From a medical perspective I would certainly refer anyone who thinks they are receiving communications from unknown sources that appear not to actually be there to their local GP. If there actually is a god and it is sending you messages then that is great. However given the number of medical conditions which can also lead a person to hear or see things that are not there it would simply be prudent to check all the same.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Or, much more commonly, no ways at all. Or have you evidence at all of a communication between any non human intelligence and a human? Ever? Anywhere?

No, didnt think so.
Me and my shadow...
I'm sure God is not able to communicate with someone like yourself. You have already decided He doesn't exist.
I don't normally quote from the bible but this passages fits well. People who seek God must believe He is real. If you have no faith, God cannot reveal Himself to you. If you are serious about Him then you will find Him or rather He will show Himself to you. But I'm sure you are already debunking this so that is where it sits.
Hebrews 11:6

New International Version (NIV)

6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,408,904 times
Quote:
I'm sure God is not able to communicate with someone like yourself. You have already decided He doesn't exist.
Then your god is not all powerful if there is something it can not do. Just saying.

However you are making things up about me. I have not decided god does not exist. So do not put words in my mouth or straw man my position thanks. My position is not that god does not exist. I do not know that and I can not prove an unfalsifiable negative. My position is that it is very possible a god exists but that no one, much less yourself, has substantiated the claim that it does exist, or given us the first shred of arguments, evidence, data or reasons to think it might exist.

Quote:
People who seek God must believe He is real. If you have no faith, God cannot reveal Himself to you.
It is amazing to me when people say this... and you are far from the first to say it to me..... that they do not realise what nonsense it is. Essentially what you are saying above is "You will believe it if you believe it" or "If you want to find out if I am right, just assume I am right".

Essentially you are bypassing substantiating your position by just asking people to accept your position as correct by default.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,229,516 times
Quote:
Well I disagree; my mind is convinced that God exist, but I will listen to any other views and I am open to any other evidence; I just have not seen enough evidence to un-convince me, and that he does not exist. One can certainly be open minded and convinced; I am convinced that women , as a whole, Love much better than men, but I am open to anyone who would like to prove otherwise; just as an example.
Wasn't Jesus a man?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Then your god is not all powerful if there is something it can not do. Just saying.

However you are making things up about me. I have not decided god does not exist. So do not put words in my mouth or straw man my position thanks. My position is not that god does not exist. I do not know that and I can not prove an unfalsifiable negative. My position is that it is very possible a god exists but that no one, much less yourself, has substantiated the claim that it does exist, or given us the first shred of arguments, evidence, data or reasons to think it might exist.

It is amazing to me when people say this... and you are far from the first to say it to me..... that they do not realise what nonsense it is. Essentially what you are saying above is "You will believe it if you believe it" or "If you want to find out if I am right, just assume I am right".

Essentially you are bypassing substantiating your position by just asking people to accept your position as correct by default.
Maybe He doesn't want to just proove Himself to you but is waiting for you to show faith, who knows, I'm just saying. But for a Being to create the universe and life, you and me I think He is "powerful" enough, really.
And to believe He exists may just make a person open enough. To realize that He is behind how the birds fly south and all the things like that is to start to see God.
And if you are looking to believe don't turn to humans for all the answers that God can provide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality