Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
I agree with ILNC! Nothing NOTHING can snatch you out of His hand. Not satan,not sin, not yourself. There is a verse that says God will give up the flesh to satan so that the soul may be saved. I think this happens if we (borned again belivers) bring reproach on His name. We can't be good enough
to get in to heaven. We are not perfect. Gods mercy and grace and Jesus shed blood does it. Not because of what I 've done but because of who He is,not because of who I am but because of what He did. Man aint God Good!
Sorry my southern traits comming out. I live in the bible belt you know. We tend to get a little rowdy now and then. lol
AMEN! I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 11:05 PM

267 posts, read 533,775 times
What will come will come and I'll face it when it does, reincarnation, Hell's gates, Heaven...at least if I'm going to Hell I will not beg. I will not plead. I will stand there before all in line behind me and offend the ears of God, an arrogant child who needs to be placated by constant worship and comformity I have a soul I am not a dog to be trained. I am not assured of my salvation, for all I know there could be nothing and we could just be left to rot, but as I said I'll either face it when it comes, or rest uncaring under dirt.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,580 times
Yes, without a doubt.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 AM

562 posts, read 660,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
That's not to say people won't be condemned -- I believe there will be those who are, unfortunately. But that's not my decision to make or my place to say, only God's.
Why condemned, and what makes you think we do not just reincarnate into another flesh and blood form to go it over again?

What if there is no 'judgment' as Christians say? What if it is a sea of spirits on the other side and the only way you can stay there is if you have matured enough to do so?

'Salvation' in my opinion is just a way for the Christian church to coerce people.

The bottom line is, nobody really KNOWS anything about what happens after death - we can all just form our own opinions.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:13 PM

101 posts, read 218,787 times
Answer to original question: YES!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Default Keep it simple silly (a variation)

Yes!!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Why condemned, and what makes you think we do not just reincarnate into another flesh and blood form to go it over again?

What if there is no 'judgment' as Christians say? What if it is a sea of spirits on the other side and the only way you can stay there is if you have matured enough to do so?

'Salvation' in my opinion is just a way for the Christian church to coerce people.

The bottom line is, nobody really KNOWS anything about what happens after death - we can all just form our own opinions.
Your beliefs are fine for you. I'm sure you're happy with them. However, they are not my beliefs. You believe in reincarnation, I do not. You base that on the teachings you subscribe to. I do not.

My beliefs stem from the Bible, what I believe is the Word of God. You disagree, and that's okay. I'm just letting you know where I'm coming from. IMO, the Bible is the Word of God and is truth on all topics upon which it speaks. It speaks about salvation throughout. Nowhere does it say we get a "redo". Nowhere does it say our spirit is reborn into another physical body.

What it does say is to be absent from the body is to be present with Christ. What it does say is that there will be a judgement. What it does say is those that do not get to heaven are condemned to be separated from God. Now who, how and why can be debated all day, but I'm just giving an overview.

Now lets say, for the sake of argument, your position proves true; that there's no judgement and just a sea of souls that you have to be mature enough to belong. In that case I'll either join it or be returned to another physical body. If I return to another physical body, I'll have no recollection of my "past life" so this argument is moot. I won't remember you, you won't remember me and we'll just assume new rolls to replay this game called life until we can join this sea of spirits. That's a comforting scenario, but totally against the Word of God, which is why I don't believe it.

Salvation isn't coerced. Nobody is forced to accept the gift of salvation from Jesus. It is offered freely to all. Do some use fear to push their argument? Yes, unfortunately, they do. They say believe or be damned to hell. That's unfortunate, but it is still a free choice, not a forced choice. As I stated in my previous post, salvation is a gift of love from our Creator and love should be used to show the way to Christ, not fear.

Finally, yes, it all boils down to one's opinion and where their faith is placed. I'm confident of where my faith is placed and have my own reasons to believe it to be true.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM

204 posts, read 508,102 times
This is a good question. Personally I believe that I am assured of my salvation in Jesus.

I think Paul summed it all up nicely when he said:
Passage Romans 8:38-39:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I do think you can be saved and have doubts of your salvation. But that doesn’t mean you aren’t saved. The scripture below proves some people in the church were having doubts about their salvation…and this scripture was just the apostle clearing things up for them: John 5:13 "I write this to you who believe in the Son of God so you may know you have eternal life".

I think sometimes we as Christians get a little scared and think things like “well maybe my faith in God is not strong enough”, or “what if the amount of faith I have is not enough to get me into heaven”.

But Don’t put faith in your amount of faith…put faith in Jesus. I think it’s not as important the amount of faith you have…so much as who you have faith in. You can have all the faith in the world but if it’s in the wrong thing (or person) then that’s not going to do you any good.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 PM

562 posts, read 660,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Your beliefs are fine for you. I'm sure you're happy with them. However, they are not my beliefs. You believe in reincarnation, I do not. You base that on the teachings you subscribe to. I do not.

My beliefs stem from the Bible, what I believe is the Word of God. You disagree, and that's okay. I'm just letting you know where I'm coming from. IMO, the Bible is the Word of God and is truth on all topics upon which it speaks. It speaks about salvation throughout. Nowhere does it say we get a "redo". Nowhere does it say our spirit is reborn into another physical body.

What it does say is to be absent from the body is to be present with Christ. What it does say is that there will be a judgement. What it does say is those that do not get to heaven are condemned to be separated from God. Now who, how and why can be debated all day, but I'm just giving an overview.

Now lets say, for the sake of argument, your position proves true; that there's no judgement and just a sea of souls that you have to be mature enough to belong. In that case I'll either join it or be returned to another physical body. If I return to another physical body, I'll have no recollection of my "past life" so this argument is moot. I won't remember you, you won't remember me and we'll just assume new rolls to replay this game called life until we can join this sea of spirits. That's a comforting scenario, but totally against the Word of God, which is why I don't believe it.

Salvation isn't coerced. Nobody is forced to accept the gift of salvation from Jesus. It is offered freely to all. Do some use fear to push their argument? Yes, unfortunately, they do. They say believe or be damned to hell. That's unfortunate, but it is still a free choice, not a forced choice. As I stated in my previous post, salvation is a gift of love from our Creator and love should be used to show the way to Christ, not fear.

Finally, yes, it all boils down to one's opinion and where their faith is placed. I'm confident of where my faith is placed and have my own reasons to believe it to be true.
That's all very well said, but the Christian bible is a book written by MEN and is subject to have been changed, or portions left out on purpose. The Catholics have done a very good job at cutting and pasting as they wished with the books of the Christian bible. What would you say if I told you that reincarnation had been previously spoken of in the Christian bible, and the Catholics removed it for the obvious reasons??

Also, what of the miracles discussed in the Christian bible? What of the Angels seen and spoken to? What of physical manifestations? I see none of these things, and no real proof that it ever did happen. I don't see even the 'holiest' of Christian ministers or Priests performing ANY miracles. I see a lot of talk, and nothing to back it up.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
That's all very well said, but the Christian bible is a book written by MEN and is subject to have been changed, or portions left out on purpose. The Catholics have done a very good job at cutting and pasting as they wished with the books of the Christian bible. What would you say if I told you that reincarnation had been previously spoken of in the Christian bible, and the Catholics removed it for the obvious reasons??

Also, what of the miracles discussed in the Christian bible? What of the Angels seen and spoken to? What of physical manifestations? I see none of these things, and no real proof that it ever did happen. I don't see even the 'holiest' of Christian ministers or Priests performing ANY miracles. I see a lot of talk, and nothing to back it up.
Ouch!

Be careful how you interpret the world: It is like that.—Erich Heller

Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.-- Johnathan Swift
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality