Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,255,649 times

Advertisements

I can honestly say that I don't know and that it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

It doesn't bother me because I don't care if there is or is not a life after death. I am perfectly at ease with the idea that when the body stops, that's it. Nothing else.

So, you see, whatever happens, I feel that it will be all right because that's what I deserve. Eternal fire and punishment....that's OK, because that's what my life added up to. Eternal reward..... that's OK too because I have already been truly fortunate in this life. More would be probably more than I deserved. Total death? My life ceases? That's OK too, because no one on this earth, and in this life, including myself, will know a thing about it.

I just do not understand nor will I ever, why the fixation on Eternal Life. Is it because of the fear of extinction? Of Not Being? Why the problem with accepting the idea that there may be nothing else?

Yes, I know, The Bible says it's so. Therefore, it must be that there is a Life after Death. You can believe this totally, that's fine. It's just not important to a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,895,586 times
Yes pure and simple.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,220,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It doesn't bother me because I don't care if there is or is not a life after death. I am perfectly at ease with the idea that when the body stops, that's it. Nothing else.
To each his or her own, and I'm certainly not trying to flame you...but I just don't get this line of thought. To me, the idea of never seeing family and friends again, of not EXISTING anymore...it's just too horrible to put into words, almost.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,522,751 times
Or of an existance without God.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
To each his or her own, and I'm certainly not trying to flame you...but I just don't get this line of thought. To me, the idea of never seeing family and friends again, of not EXISTING anymore...it's just too horrible to put into words, almost.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,769,230 times
yes...I wasnt always, back when I was a teenager, now though, yes

Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,692,005 times
I was saved when I was 14, I felt the conviction as strongly as a person can feel, and that conviction moved me down that isle towards the alter. I was scared, and being a typical teen, embarrassed, but the conviction was greater.

Now, having said that, the next few years I often times wondered if I were still going to heaven, how did I honestly and truly know I was going to heaven? I would ask the question to many people, and the answer was always the same, you just know. Yeah, but how do you know?

I now know I am going to heaven.

I believe when we first become christians, we are as babies, and as babies must learn to crawl, stand, walk, and finally run in our walk in the Spirit.

As we mature in our walk in faith, we are more and more assured that we are going to heaven. The Holy Spirit works in us, giving us understanding as we go. We know so little when we start out, and there are many questions, but when God knows it is time, we will gain answers to many questions, and pose new questions. The deeper we get into our spiritual walk and the more mature we are as christians, the more in tune with the HOly Ghost who resides within us we become therefore we gain more discernment and we also grow in our knowledge of our personal salvation.

At least this is how things happened for me. I now crave the Word of God, and get excited about what I discover, and as I have said elsewhere, I talk to God just like I would talk with a friend. Conversations, prayers and praise. I can do this now because I am confident in my salvation, but this came about only as I grew in faith and in my walk in Christ.

So, yes, I do believe we can know we are going to heaven, we have the assurance from Christ himself, and if we strive for a close relationship with HIm, He will reveal HImself to us and we can rest in the knowledge of HIs love.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:31 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,255,649 times
But Jeff, look at it this way....if there is nothing, how are you going to know that you aren't seeing friends and family? They won't exist either.

You don't know what goes on when you are sleeping a dreamless sleep do you? Or what goes on while you are on an operating table. For that period of time, you don't exist. Is it not possible that death holds the same nothingness?

I am not trying to be agumentive, I really want you to explore other viewpoints.

To me, it sort of like not knowing what's going on in Lincoln Nebraska. I didn't know yesterday, and I won't know tomorrow or the next day. It just doesn't matter to me. If somehow I end up in Lincoln, and it's horrible, too bad, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I lived and that's what counts to me. Not the hereafter.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,220,247 times
Quote:
But Jeff, look at it this way....if there is nothing, how are you going to know that you aren't seeing friends and family? They won't exist either.

You don't know what goes on when you are sleeping a dreamless sleep do you? Or what goes on while you are on an operating table. For that period of time, you don't exist. Is it not possible that death holds the same nothingness?

I am not trying to be agumentive, I really want you to explore other viewpoints.

To me, it sort of like not knowing what's going on in Lincoln Nebraska. I didn't know yesterday, and I won't know tomorrow or the next day. It just doesn't matter to me. If somehow I end up in Lincoln, and it's horrible, too bad, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I lived and that's what counts to me. Not the hereafter.
I can definately getting behind living life and not getting caught up with death before it's time. It comes for all of us, so live life while you can!

But regarding this...

Quote:
I understand that, if what you beleive is true, I won't care then. I won't exist! Someone who doesn't exist isn't going to care or not care about anything.

But as for living right now...yes, I would still live my life, but to believe as you do, I think I would live in great fear of death, for me and those I love. Not because I feared death exactly, but because I would dread not knowing them, or seeing them, and not having any of my faculties...just ceasing to exist. To me, the thought is horrific!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,324,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I was saved when I was 14, I felt the conviction as strongly as a person can feel, and that conviction moved me down that isle towards the alter. I was scared, and being a typical teen, embarrassed, but the conviction was greater.

Now, having said that, the next few years I often times wondered if I were still going to heaven, how did I honestly and truly know I was going to heaven? I would ask the question to many people, and the answer was always the same, you just know. Yeah, but how do you know?

I now know I am going to heaven.

I believe when we first become christians, we are as babies, and as babies must learn to crawl, stand, walk, and finally run in our walk in the Spirit.

As we mature in our walk in faith, we are more and more assured that we are going to heaven. The Holy Spirit works in us, giving us understanding as we go. We know so little when we start out, and there are many questions, but when God knows it is time, we will gain answers to many questions, and pose new questions. The deeper we get into our spiritual walk and the more mature we are as christians, the more in tune with the HOly Ghost who resides within us we become therefore we gain more discernment and we also grow in our knowledge of our personal salvation.

At least this is how things happened for me. I now crave the Word of God, and get excited about what I discover, and as I have said elsewhere, I talk to God just like I would talk with a friend. Conversations, prayers and praise. I can do this now because I am confident in my salvation, but this came about only as I grew in faith and in my walk in Christ.

So, yes, I do believe we can know we are going to heaven, we have the assurance from Christ himself, and if we strive for a close relationship with HIm, He will reveal HImself to us and we can rest in the knowledge of HIs love.
Very good post, aiangel!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,243,329 times
Talking I am His and He is mine

I agree with ILNC! Nothing NOTHING can snatch you out of His hand. Not satan,not sin, not yourself. There is a verse that says God will give up the flesh to satan so that the soul may be saved. I think this happens if we (borned again belivers) bring reproach on His name. We can't be good enough
to get in to heaven. We are not perfect. Gods mercy and grace and Jesus shed blood does it. Not because of what I 've done but because of who He is,not because of who I am but because of what He did. Man aint God Good!
Sorry my southern traits comming out. I live in the bible belt you know. We tend to get a little rowdy now and then. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality