Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I am sure I am saved and heaven bound. I try not to speculate on others' salvation, even when in my view they are believing in things and behaving in ways that are completely contrary to the Word of God. I keep my opinion about what I think will happen to them to myself. It doesn't do anyone any good to tell people they're condemned, even if that's what I might think. All it does is inflame emotions, unnecessarily so at times.

I show them by example what I believe in. Actions speak louder than words. I share my faith with them when appropriate. I share what I believe is necessary for sure salvation. But as far as their eternal resting place, that's ultimately between them and God.

All of us stumble in our walk and no one should say because of that we're condemned. Those that are not on the same path as us need not be told they're condemned, but that they're loved by God and then shown the way.

That's not to say people won't be condemned -- I believe there will be those who are, unfortunately. But that's not my decision to make or my place to say, only God's.
Yes, I definitely hear you about making decisions about others'. But I guess what inspired me to start this thread was actually someone (A Christian) being quite concerned about their own salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 01:44 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
I am sure I am saved and heaven bound. I try not to speculate on others' salvation, even when in my view they are believing in things and behaving in ways that are completely contrary to the Word of God. I keep my opinion about what I think will happen to them to myself. It doesn't do anyone any good to tell people they're condemned, even if that's what I might think. All it does is inflame emotions, unnecessarily so at times.

I show them by example what I believe in. Actions speak louder than words. I share my faith with them when appropriate. I share what I believe is necessary for sure salvation. But as far as their eternal resting place, that's ultimately between them and God.

All of us stumble in our walk and no one should say because of that we're condemned. Those that are not on the same path as us need not be told they're condemned, but that they're loved by God and then shown the way.

That's not to say people won't be condemned -- I believe there will be those who are, unfortunately. But that's not my decision to make or my place to say, only God's.
My whole problem is this: people must accept Christ on this side of the grave.

On top of that, they must believe in the right things and behave in the right way or they may lose that salvation.

How many people, do you think, accomplish this? An honest answer would be: not many.

Is God satisfied with Satan winning so many souls by such a massive landslide, all in the name of "free will"?

Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
In all honesty and seriousness (yes I can do that at times) I think everyone fails at times but as long as we are sincerely trying to do our best and sincerely remorseful when we don't that God knows our hearts and we will be fine with Him.

I can also honestly say with the exception of the mother-in-law thing (which I have prayed and prayed about-but I haven't gotten an answer yet) I do really try to do my best in all situations and approach life with balance, love, acceptance and a bit of humor.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I do really try to do my best in all situations and approach life with balance, love, acceptance and a bit of humor.
Which is exactly why I, and many others, like you so much.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:55 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yes, I definitely hear you about making decisions about others'. But I guess what inspired me to start this thread was actually someone (A Christian) being quite concerned about their own salvation.
If I had read your initial post better, I would have had a different and possibly shorter answer for you Here goes.

My personal belief here is that a Christian is saved who accepts Jesus Christ as their savior, repents of their sins and tries their best as a fallen, sinful creature to live their life according to His word.

Jeff, I'm not going to debate all the nuances or the "what ifs" on who is getting into heaven and who is not and when. I will say that if someone is a born-again Christian, but then consciously and resolutely rejects Jesus and his gift of salvation, then they won't get to heaven. All the other scenarios I just don't want to get into.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Jeff, I'm not going to debate all the nuances or the "what ifs" on who is getting into heaven and who is not and when. I will say that if someone is a born-again Christian, but then consciously and resolutely rejects Jesus and his gift of salvation, then they won't get to heaven. All the other scenarios I just don't want to get into.
It's cool, just felt the need to interject with my observation on the matter, not really trying to beat the dead horse yet again.

I'm just glad that God is in control, not His creation.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:18 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Something on another thread got me to thinking about this. What do you guys think? Can we be assured that we are "in right relationship with God" and "heaven bound" or do you think we have to wait until judgment day to know for sure? Personally, as I have posted many times I do not believe in "once saved, always saved," but I do believe that it is possible to have assurance of our salvation this side of heaven. Thoughts??
I'm 100% sure that my salvation is secured. Sometimes I have doubts about how God is working in my life...or I'm feeling worried or scared from not trusting Him completely...but never do I doubt my salvation. I'll see y'all in heaven!

I also believe in once saved always saved. I think we all agree that there are many hypocritical Christians who are so in name only, or who are pretending but actually do not believe in their hearts. I think when a "Christian" suddenly is rejecting the Holy Spirit it's because they were not saved in the first place. Just my two cents.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:57 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I do not believe in eternal security, but I don't believe you lose your salvation because you didn't repent before bedtime and die in your sleep either (which is what I was taught growing up.)

I think the balance (imho) is that you can have security as long as you are in relationship with Jesus. It isn't always "right relationship" as in without sin, but it is a strong desire to live for Him.

I do think that just has you make a decision to follow Him, you can also make a conscious decision to reject Him.

Dawn

Old 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I do not believe in eternal security, but I don't believe you lose your salvation because you didn't repent before bedtime and die in your sleep either (which is what I was taught growing up.)

I think the balance (imho) is that you can have security as long as you are in relationship with Jesus. It isn't always "right relationship" as in without sin, but it is a strong desire to live for Him.

I do think that just has you make a decision to follow Him, you can also make a conscious decision to reject Him.

Dawn
I believe almost word for word as you do, Dawn. I think you explained it very well.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:42 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
1 John 5:13 "I write this to you who believe in the Son of God so you may know you have eternal life".
John 10:27-28"My sheep recognize my voice, I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they will never perish. No one will snatch them away from me. For my Father has given them to me and He is more powerful than anyone else so no one can take them from me".

Yes I believe once saved ALWAYS saved. If our salvation is not secure how could Jesus say these things. If we could lose our salvation God would take us home the day we got saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality