Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times

Advertisements

go out with this guy who e-mailed me twice in five minutes on a dating site?

He's decent looking, writes well, is a couple inches taller than I am, no degree, has a dog (I'm not a pet person), and a decent job, although I'm sure I probably make quite a bit more than he does. Just giving you the facts.

Here's a snippet of each e-mail (I didn't leave out anything significant - they were really short e-mails)

First e-mail in a nutshell: My name is xxxx and I'm 36, never married and no kids. I (explains his job here)... If you think you might be interested, then I hope to hear from you.

Second e-mail: ...the most important thing I wanted to tell you was, the reason why I am on this site is because I am so sick of not being married. I don't want to scare you off but, I like to put that out there right up front...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
go out with this guy who e-mailed me twice in five minutes on a dating site?

He's decent looking, writes well, is a couple inches taller than I am, no degree, has a dog (I'm not a pet person), and a decent job, although I'm sure I probably make quite a bit more than he does. Just giving you the facts.

Here's a snippet of each e-mail (I didn't leave out anything significant - they were really short e-mails)

First e-mail in a nutshell: My name is xxxx and I'm 36, never married and no kids. I (explains his job here)... If you think you might be interested, then I hope to hear from you.

Second e-mail: ...the most important thing I wanted to tell you was, the reason why I am on this site is because I am so sick of not being married. I don't want to scare you off but, I like to put that out there right up front...
It does sound quite desperate... Besides, unless something caught your attention in his profile, these e-mails are as blah as it gets!

As far as the dog (you know I'm not a pet person myself), the majority of people in his country have some animal...

As far as the salary, not everybody can go to Australia and the Greek Isles in a row...

What actually makes you even think of going out with him? Looks?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It does sound quite desperate... Besides, unless something caught your attention in his profile, these e-mails are as blah as it gets!

As far as the dog (you know I'm not a pet person myself), the majority of people in his country have some animal...

As far as the salary, not everybody can go to Australia and the Greek Isles in a row...

What actually makes you even think of going out with him? Looks?
I guess I've rejected so many guys on the online dating sites I'm starting to wonder what it is about me that attracts so many weirdos. It's getting to the point that I want to go out with SOMEONE just to get the heck out of the house to do something other than go running. This guy at least seems halfway decent and while he's not military he does work in law enforcement, is decent looking (if a bit on the short side) and comes across as intelligent in his profile.

And hey, those vacations are a whole year apart

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I guess I've rejected so many guys on the online dating sites I'm starting to wonder what it is about me that attracts so many weirdos.
Well, why don't you try contacting some that YOU like?

Quote:
Even so!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Be wise and cautious in this endeavour.
Failure to do so will result in you being in some real Tropical Trouble.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
I guess I've rejected so many guys on the online dating sites I'm starting to wonder what it is about me that attracts so many weirdos. It's getting to the point that I want to go out with SOMEONE just to get the heck out of the house to do something other than go running. This guy at least seems halfway decent and while he's not military he does work in law enforcement, is decent looking (if a bit on the short side) and comes across as intelligent in his profile.

Hon...it's not you. There are simply a LOT of weirdos out there, and online dating gives them a much greater opportunity to hit on us "normal" people.

Really...don't get too discouraged. I'm sure I've had my fair share of nutcases...but I always hold out for the gems.

As far as this guy goes...Hmmm....he does sound a bit desperate. But...it wouldn't hurt to let things go further. How about you email him a few times, and if that goes okay, then ask him for his number and give him a call. If he sounds okay, then agree to meet...for a predetermined SHORT amount of time, of course.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
As far as this guy goes...Hmmm....he does sound a bit desperate. But...it wouldn't hurt to let things go further. How about you email him a few times, and if that goes okay, then ask him for his number and give him a call. If he sounds okay, then agree to meet...for a predetermined SHORT amount of time, of course.
But, but, but... he sounds boring as hell, Chess!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
But, but, but... he sounds boring as hell, Chess!
Yeah he does. But some guys are completely clueless when it comes to composing written messages and profiles. He may be much better on the phone and in person. Hey, I'm giving him some leeway...but not holding my breath. However, if he can string two sentences together, that is better than many of the dorks I have heard from.

And hey...she needs to get out!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
It's the over-abundance of weird and needy men like this one that an average looking dude like me can get a date with an attractive woman on these sites.

He's WAY needy, there's no reason for him to throw out the marriage word in an initial email.

As for advice, go out with him if you want. Do what you feel, what do YOU want to do? Always be cautious when dating online or meeting someone you've never met, take it slow, just meet him and see where it goes. Maybe he's a great guy but is having a midlife crisis over being alone for so long. No one is perfect, not even you. If you want to, give it a chance. What do you really have to lose?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
However, if he can string two sentences together, that is better than many of the dorks I have heard from.
True! I've seen some stuff, too...

I don't know... I wouldn't bother with him myself, but everybody's different. Besides, I haven't seen the profile and the picture. I also know TT has a totally different taste. But still... what kind of opening supposed to generate interest is THAT?! Or maybe he thinks every woman is dying to get married and mentioning it makes all doors fly open?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships