Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times

Advertisements

I have a friend, who was complaining to me yesterday, that she does most of the housework, alot of the yard work, takes care of their child, and works fulltime. Her husband does not work right now, and does not do much around the house, to help out.
I explained to her that maybe she needs to talk to him about helping out more often, but she just blew me off, as to say..."nah...he won`t."
Common sense tells me, that if you do not have a job, you would be willing to put forth the effort in helping out with everyday tasks, and chores, while the SO is out making the income to pay the bills.
Some people just don`t get it. OR...maybe they do, and they know that they can get by with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Some say it should be 100/100. I kinda like that.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
not me it was 90% /10% and she howled about her 10% for the entire marriage.
i am single now long time divorced i get a little lonely but im ok.
fyi my house is spotless and my housework is much less than when i was married.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I have a friend, who was complaining to me yesterday, that she does most of the housework, alot of the yard work, takes care of their child, and works fulltime. Her husband does not work right now, and does not do much around the house, to help out.
I explained to her that maybe she needs to talk to him about helping out more often, but she just blew me off, as to say..."nah...he won`t."
Common sense tells me, that if you do not have a job, you would be willing to put forth the effort in helping out with everyday tasks, and chores, while the SO is out making the income to pay the bills.
Some people just don`t get it. OR...maybe they do, and they know that they can get by with it.
I agree. If you're at home and don't work, the home should be taken care of.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
If he's not working he really needs to help out around the house.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times
First of all, I have to wonder if he's suffering from depression. I didn't see you mention if this situation existed when he was working or if it's a recent event. I know that men tend to measure their worth by how well they can provide for their family, so he probably sees himself as worthless. However, I find it hard to believe that any husband would want to see his wife work that hard and not want to pitch in and help.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 PM

19,783 posts, read 22,680,815 times
I work and the wife doesn't but she is studying for her masters. So she does the vast majority of the household chores but I certainly DO my share around the house, especially when she's cramming for school (I cook, clean, etc)..

Seems only reasonable to me.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
First of all, I have to wonder if he's suffering from depression. I didn't see you mention if this situation existed when he was working or if it's a recent event. I know that men tend to measure their worth by how well they can provide for their family, so he probably sees himself as worthless. However, I find it hard to believe that any husband would want to see his wife work that hard and not want to pitch in and help.
She does most, and alot of the work, so she states, so apparently, he does some...what. In her eyes, I`m sure its not enough, to carry the load, of maintaing a marriage.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Some say it should be 100/100. I kinda like that.
Exactly. 100/100 is the only way it will really work. Why half-a$$ it or give only 50%?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
As my grandma used to say "marriage isn't 50/50, it's 100/100" meaning that at any given time one party gives 100% so the other can have what they want. She claimed that 50/50 arrangements just meant no one ever got what they really wanted.

Yes, I would expect a spouse at home to do more than their share because they are at home and have more time to do it. Right now, he should be doing most of the housework unless he's spending an inordinate amount of time actively looking for work. The only way he shouldn't be is if his job search is a full time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships