Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 AM

5,076 posts, read 14,704,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
go out with this guy who e-mailed me twice in five minutes on a dating site?

He's decent looking, writes well, is a couple inches taller than I am, no degree, has a dog (I'm not a pet person), and a decent job, although I'm sure I probably make quite a bit more than he does. Just giving you the facts.

Here's a snippet of each e-mail (I didn't leave out anything significant - they were really short e-mails)

First e-mail in a nutshell: My name is xxxx and I'm 36, never married and no kids. I (explains his job here)... If you think you might be interested, then I hope to hear from you.

Second e-mail: ...the most important thing I wanted to tell you was, the reason why I am on this site is because I am so sick of not being married. I don't want to scare you off but, I like to put that out there right up front...
Well it beats a guy beating around the bush and making you wonder what the heck is going on LOL I think it would be good to go on a date, meet a neutral / convenient location for you both and see if there is any chemistry. Go from there but keep things on your terms until you are comfortable. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,360,601 times
Wish I could write a bit more right now, but I can't post on message boards at work. Using my phone to do so is a pain. I will write him back tonight.

Oh, and jsizzle, this is for you

Old 03-26-2010, 08:59 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,450,646 times
Quote:
Wish I could write a bit more right now, but I can't post on message boards at work. Using my phone to do so is a pain. I will write him back tonight.

Oh, and jsizzle, this is for you
There is no affected or pretentious smiley...oh crap there isn't even the puking smiley. Oh well, imagine any of those for you, oh Burger King Crown Princess.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 AM

22,554 posts, read 29,857,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Oh jeepers. Thank you for gracing this Earth with your presence.

This is so bizarre. If a new person signed up to post this...they'd be crucified as entitled, selfish and plain *****y. But if they are in the Good Ol' Boys club, bad behavior is just simply encouraged. You guys are not doing "friends" any behavior by kissing their butts and telling them they are awesome. Quite frankly, you've been going running every night for a reason. And only the "weirdos" are contacting you...because that's all you attract.

Seriously, you are angry towards women!!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM

22,554 posts, read 29,857,331 times
TT-If you think you might be curious, just go out with him. You never know!! Just make it a public place and let people know where you are going. I don't think there was anything wrong with his emails and especially the married part. He was just putting that out there to weed out the ones who aren't on the same page. I would appreciate the honesty. At least he's not lying, yet LOL

Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 16,636,164 times
Quote:
go out with this guy who e-mailed me twice in five minutes on a dating site?

He's decent looking, writes well, is a couple inches taller than I am, no degree, has a dog (I'm not a pet person), and a decent job, although I'm sure I probably make quite a bit more than he does. Just giving you the facts.

Here's a snippet of each e-mail (I didn't leave out anything significant - they were really short e-mails)

First e-mail in a nutshell: My name is xxxx and I'm 36, never married and no kids. I (explains his job here)... If you think you might be interested, then I hope to hear from you.

Second e-mail: ...the most important thing I wanted to tell you was, the reason why I am on this site is because I am so sick of not being married. I don't want to scare you off but, I like to put that out there right up front...
That opening would have me passing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WTF????

You need to get off the bottle, man. You've obviously had too much!!
Yeah, really. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the cave.

TT, there is nothing wrong with dating just to get out of the house. It's okay to enjoy some casual company.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,192,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
That opening would have me passing on it.

Yeah, really. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the cave.

TT, there is nothing wrong with dating just to get out of the house. It's okay to enjoy some casual company.
Sorry, I can't agree with this statement. It's one thing if a random guy asks you for coffee, there's no expectations set and you don't know what he's even looking for. In THAT scenario it's okay to enjoy casual company.

If you KNOW a man is interested in meeting you, only with the chance that there's an opportunity for it to develop into something more, then it's wrong to go out with him just for company. Meaning, you have already made up your mind you would never enter an LTR with him in the future, as in he has zero chance to land you as a gf in the long and distant future. That's just wasting people's time, and taking advantage of someone's emotions. Given he's probably not too emotionally invested, but if he were to meet you and if he had a good time and you just blew him off afterwards (even worse, you keep seeing him despite him having no chance) then that's just rude and inconsiderate.

He's obviously not asking for just your company, he's asking to meet with the potential that something more could develop.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,800,463 times
Seems to be a bit forward to be sent a message of something like:

"Hi I am 36, never married, want to get married, please marry me"

And if there is one thing that is true is that a lot of people can easily be misinterpreted online in written communication. I have a very dead pan, sarcastic, facetious sense of humor and there is usually one woman or another in here that pole vaults over a mouseturd over something I said taking it totally seriously and not getting I said it in jest. So I could see where the wires would be crossed.

I think if you like the person in general and feel comfortable then it does not hurt to have a coffee or tea meet up and see how it goes. If the awkward and freaky needy behavior continues during your starbucks interlude then you can pull the handles on the ejection seat and punch out of there.

Men are most often yes or no, black or white thinkers and we also try to say the least amount in the fewest words. For a lot of men it makes sense for them to lay it all out of what they want in a row, boom boom boom and that is often a bit much for women to take. Women see all the colors of the rainbow and get their yes's and no's mixed up and are not linear thinkers in general. Hence you get a lot of communication clashes where neither gets where the other is coming from.

And one recommendation to the OP, my recollection is that you are often in dalliance with military or law enforcement types. Maybe's it's time to try something new?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,800,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Sorry, I can't agree with this statement. It's one thing if a random guy asks you for coffee, there's no expectations set and you don't know what he's even looking for. In THAT scenario it's okay to enjoy casual company.

If you KNOW a man is interested in meeting you, only with the chance that there's an opportunity for it to develop into something more, then it's wrong to go out with him just for company. Meaning, you have already made up your mind you would never enter an LTR with him in the future, as in he has zero chance to land you as a gf in the long and distant future. That's just wasting people's time, and taking advantage of someone's emotions. Given he's probably not too emotionally invested, but if he were to meet you and if he had a good time and you just blew him off afterwards (even worse, you keep seeing him despite him having no chance) then that's just rude and inconsiderate.

He's obviously not asking for just your company, he's asking to meet with the potential that something more could develop.
Well amazingly I have to agree with PassTheDoubleStufOreos on this one.

I have done a lot of traveling and I have met women all over the world in the course of my travels and interacted sometimes for an hour, two hours, overnight, 2 days whatever. You happen to meet up randomly doing something, have your dalliance and good time and away you go your separate ways. Same as meeting and talking to people on a plane or whatever.

I think anyone that goes into a first date already emotionally invested and with expectations of all sorts of future activities then they need their head examined. How can you possibly be emotionally invested in someone you don't know? Freaky.

A first "date" really shouldn't be a date at all but a friendly encounter to get to know someone and if it happens to click then good, if not then ok.

That is probably the issue I have with dating out there right now. Too many people thinking about 97 bridges down the road and their wedding day, rather than enjoying the moment and spending time with someone.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:34 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,186,851 times
To the OP talk to him more through e-mail than phone, get to know him more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships