Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,520,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Men: Would you date a woman that you have zero desire to be intimate with?
What would be the point otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 07:25 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,884,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
What you say is perfectly fine. I can of course meet with a female friend and I could want to know more about her and have a good time. But if it's just that, I would not call it "dating".

It's the same for you women actually. Let's say you go out for coffee with one of your male friends, and he happens to be the typical "nice guy". You are very comfortable with him and want to know about him, but you are not feeling attracted. Would you call that a "date"?
Err im not a woman lolz .. excuse me .. but dear friend .. isnt there a difference between mating and dating .. first u date and then u mate ..unless u dont date how would u mate .. so i suggest that u dont make up your mind to just make out on your first date ..go meet people with simply knowing the opposite sex ..u dont have to know them inside out by getting physical ..i mean dude ! .. everything that shines isnt GOLD !! ..and Diamonds are usually found in coal mines .. lolz sorry but thats my opinion ..and i follow my instincts ..so before laying myself bare before someone ..i show them my true self ..then they decide if im ugly or fugly .. cool or fool .. but i dont rule out that warm peck on the cheeks at the door ..thats an indication of we could be just friends ..lolz ..

Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 AM

7,231 posts, read 9,305,788 times
My first thought was sure. Dinner, movie, hike, golf, etc. When you first start how do you know if you want to be intimate? Get to know her first.

After reading the responses here I guess it's not dating until you are "officially" courting? I guess it depends on your definitions. But friendship isn't something to sneer at. At least not for me.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 AM

404 posts, read 702,836 times
Well sorry to change your gender Norm!

Actually I'm starting to think I was confused because here in Spain we don't use the word "dating" as you do. Or that's what I think from what I have been reading, at least. But even then, I still see a clear difference between hanging out as friends, and considering a possibility that something else will happen (be it on the 1st date or in 4 months, but at some point).

Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,025,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Men: Would you date a woman that you have zero desire to be intimate with?

Absolutely not. Not only would it be a waste of my time and her time, it would be an absolute cruel thing to do to her to "date" her with no intention or desire to get intimate.

Would be even worse to "pretend" to have an interest just to go out and get something out of the deal. Like this one chick I know who knows Rage Against The Machine is one of my favorite bands, she had backstage passes to a small concert they were doing and wanted me to go with her as a "date". I had to decline because I know she wanted it to be a date night and for me to accept just to see the band would be terribly misleading and cruel to her.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,691,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Absolutely not. Not only would it be a waste of my time and her time, it would be an absolute cruel thing to do to her to "date" her with no intention or desire to get intimate.

Would be even worse to "pretend" to have an interest just to go out and get something out of the deal. Like this one chick I know who knows Rage Against The Machine is one of my favorite bands, she had backstage passes to a small concert they were doing and wanted me to go with her as a "date". I had to decline because I know she wanted it to be a date night and for me to accept just to see the band would be terribly misleading and cruel to her.

My husband has ZERO desire to be intimate with me. I thought it was his meds....and for the longest time it didn't bother me because there were things going on. Well, now I know he's stayed with me for as long as he did because of $$$ and because he's comfortable. He's getting the boot.

So thank you for not leading that girl on. You did the right thing.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,792,863 times
Quote:

It's just a date, man. Do you get all intimate the moment you walk into the restaurant? She'll probably shove pasta on to your face and call the cops.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:56 AM

2,031 posts, read 5,045,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's just a date, man. Do you get all intimate the moment you walk into the restaurant? She'll probably shove pasta on to your face and call the cops.
Yep, completely agree with LaoTzu, I recently met someone with whom i am just not feeling anything intimate for. Sure, i could be the A%% who takes her out, gets her hopes up, then silently moves on after the fact..that i got what i wanted.. OR i could do the right thing and just let this one go, and keep my eyes out for someone i click better with chemistry-wise..

Going about it the other way benefits no one..and just shows what a selfish type of person..someone who would lead another on..probably is...I wouldn't want this done to me, so i will not do so onto another..

Old 02-14-2010, 09:00 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,259,217 times
Quote:

You did the right thing.

If the romantic interest is only one-sided, it's kinder to never accept the date at all. Otherwise, anytime a courtship is aborted, the person dumped suffers a blow to their self-esteem as they wonder what went wrong. Meanwhile, the other person is dreading whether or not they are going to be asked why they weren't s/o material to the other person. Even telling them that the personality magic wasn't there hints that they were boring or lacking in some way. And who wants to lie and say that they weren't ready to for a relationship with anyone, when it's more about not wanting to be in a relationship with that particular person?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,792,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You did the right thing.

If the romantic interest is only one-sided, it's kinder to never accept the date at all. Otherwise, anytime a courtship is aborted, the person dumped suffers a blow to their self-esteem as they wonder what went wrong. Meanwhile, the other person is dreading whether or not they are going to be asked why they weren't s/o material to the other person. Even telling them that the personality magic wasn't there hints that they were boring or lacking in some way. And who wants to lie and say that they weren't ready to for a relationship with anyone, when it's more about not wanting to be in a relationship with that particular person?
If you agree with Lao, Miu, I feel better <winks>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships