Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,885,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
facinating that 56% of those getting a divorce dont have kids so the argument that divorce orbits around kids is false.
That's actually an encouraging statistic. In the past, having children was often the last ditch effort to save a marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,706,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the internet is crawling with stats on the 50% rate of marriage failure. to call it a myth is a stretch. sort of like the alleged DNA evidence.
The Internet is crawling with accounts of ghost encounters. But I am naive, so I don't believe in ghosts. The Internet is also crawling with conspiracy theories telling us the Earth is run by alien reptiles. But, being naive, I don't believe that either.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Certainly this might help lower the divorce rate somewhat but the fact is that most young women are not interested in any man who is just as "good" as they are. They all want far "better" and this makes the competition fierce for those men who meet with their superficial approval.
*Shrug* So what? Judging by this message board, most men aren't interested in women who are just as "good" as they are. They want far "better" -- at the very least, significantly younger and more attractive. Just look at all those guys who are neither rich, nor handsome, nor educated, complaining about beautiful women being shallow and not interested in their mediocrity.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM

805 posts, read 1,514,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I'm not interested in marriage. I don't want to exploit a man when it doesn't work between us. We can live together, but I rather we be free individuals with no courts involved. Only reason I would get married is if there was some kind of federal benefits. But I certainly won't try to get married just to get a free house, dog , and minivan. At least not the bad way, like they do in divorce. (But if someone wants to get me such gifts, then, thats another story).

I feel the same way. I wouldn't want to do to a man what I wouldn't want done to me. Too bad a lot of women don't agree with this concept.

What is marriage for anyway besides control? If love between 2 people is strong enough and they know how to sustain it, why would you need laws to interfere? The only answer is that the relationship is not sustainable without enforcement (marriage). What a sham.

I don't think every married couple is operating a sham, but I do wonder if marriage was not invented, if couples would stay together.

The only time ANY man should get married is if he is marrying up. Then he has more of an advantage than other men.

Otherwise, men: Think with your head. Cinderella is a fantasy figure. Just play house.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 AM

184 posts, read 232,249 times
In the UK, marriage has almost been outlawed because cohabiting with someone for at least 6 months and upwards can automatically give the women the right to take some or half of the men's assets.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation View Post
I'm not interested in marriage. I don't want to exploit a man when it doesn't work between us. We can live together, but I rather we be free individuals with no courts involved. Only reason I would get married is if there was some kind of federal benefits. But I certainly won't try to get married just to get a free house, dog , and minivan. At least not the bad way, like they do in divorce. (But if someone wants to get me such gifts, then, thats another story)
You mean you don't work?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:34 AM

4,539 posts, read 8,378,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
The Internet is crawling with accounts of ghost encounters. But I am naive, so I don't believe in ghosts. The Internet is also crawling with conspiracy theories telling us the Earth is run by alien reptiles. But, being naive, I don't believe that either.
I dunno. Looking at some of the politicians in the US and given some of their decisions, I sometimes wonder.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I dunno. Looking at some of the politicians in the US and given some of their decisions, I sometimes wonder.
I disagree. I am yet to see a politician do something that isn't perfectly human.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 AM

622 posts, read 1,284,167 times
Well I wouldnt call myself bitter towards women or marriage. I have no interst in doing it again. But I actually support the institution of marriage. I think the world is a better place with it. I also could care less about internet statistics and studies. I tend to rely on what I actually witness on a first hand basis. And here are some of my findings. And I do not mean to generalize. Every marriage and couple are unique.

And since I am a man most of my experiences are from a male perspective.

: If your a married guy now look at the house you live in and the bed you sleep in. There is a good chance that in the future some other guy will be living there and sleeping there.

: If your a married guy there is a good chance that the next man your wife sleeps with is someone that you already know in some way.

: As your enjoying experiences with your kids its likely that another man will be having the same experiences with them some day.

: Whatever your take home pay is now subtract 25 - 40%. Learn to live off of that.

: Start working out cuz there is a realistic chance that you may go to jail someday.

: When your having a romantic night with your SO her love for you is prob at an 8 - 10. When shes out with the girls its a 3 at best.

: Your SO has some kind of secret little crush on another guy. Not that she will cheat but she is crushin. A guy at work or one of your friends maybe.

And I can go on and on. Of course not all of these are true for everyone right now. And I think the older you are the less likley they apply to you. But in almost every case I know most of these things became reality.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,825,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thats really odd, when I divorced my first husband here in Fl, he never responded, and never showed....the judge had no problem with it.
My best friend also just got divorced, same scenario, same result.
Maybe its a county thing?
Maybe. Or it might be that women aren't given the same hassle about getting divorced.

In connection with this, it is my opinion that is easier for a woman to get a temporary restraining order against her spouse than for a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships