Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,221,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Happiness is a good thing, that goes for gay or straight.
Oh no...I am gay and I would never show any form of PDA! About as close as I would get is a hug hello or goodbye, since that can be accepted btw males in certain cultures, or is familiar enough that might not cause too much concern.

Holding hands?....no way! Kissing or a peck on the cheek? Absolutely not in public.

A surefire way to get stares and catcalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM

677 posts, read 1,198,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You mean "some others."

Tell your grandfather to get over it and just don't look.
Why should you have to look at things meant to be kept private?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,398,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
A) you don't have to look
B) how are they meant to be kept in private?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,061,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Oh no...I am gay and I would never show any form of PDA! About as close as I would get is a hug hello or goodbye, since that can be accepted btw males in certain cultures, or is familiar enough that might not cause too much concern.

Holding hands?....no way! Kissing or a peck on the cheek? Absolutely not in public.

A surefire way to get stares and catcalls.
I have no problem accepting gay people doing these things that heteros often do. I guess in many large cities, like NYC, people are accustomed to humans just acting like humans. I'm sorry that you have to watch yourself in that way.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,086,443 times
I do not care, as I have the ability to block everything else out except the affection.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,061,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Well, as said before, it's cultural.

So there are two ends of the bell curve and most people fall in the middle as somewhat tolerant.

At one end is the way that some young people behave in parks, which is how animals in zoos behave; and at the other end is the sort of behavior that your German grandfather thinks is appropriate.

I used to believe as your grandfather did. I was raised in a home in which there was very little sign of affection between parents shown in front of the kids. I now think that was too restrictive.

I do NOT like, meeting people, to kiss and hug them, though. People meet relative strangers and react in this way when meeting in public and it looks so phony to me. I even think handshakes probably spread disease and I wish European culture would take up the short bow as a greeting the way the Japanese do. I worked in a Japanese company and find it endearing with the added benefit that germs are not spread. The Japanese are not noted for being inhibited or prudish about their bodies, either.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,750,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Public display of affection is something that is very difficult for me to do. I just can't do it. It's always been an awkward feeling.

Not to mention I have this thing about my personal space when out in public. I just don't like anyone being that close to me. Weird, I know.......

What about you? Do you display affection in public?

Ron.
Personally, I love to give PDA and love to get it. I love to show it in public because that's just me and plus I love to see everyone else notice.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,415,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Public display of affection is something that is very difficult for me to do. I just can't do it. It's always been an awkward feeling.

Not to mention I have this thing about my personal space when out in public. I just don't like anyone being that close to me. Weird, I know.......

What about you? Do you display affection in public?

Ron.

OP--I felt the same way until I fell in love with my DW....

When we first started dating, she insisted I hold her hand. You see, she was/is a naturally touchy feely kind of gal.

Before I fell for her, this was really tough and not something I was comfortable doing.

After I fell for her, everything changed!

I can honestly say (and often do) she is the best thing that has ever happened to me!!!!

Nowadays (over 24 years later), I find that I am grabbing her hand in public before she even reaches for mine.

And I am more than happy to show public affection towards her anywhere we go/are.

Isn't it funny how real love changes things?!

Last edited by picklejuice; 03-26-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM

39,517 posts, read 27,925,336 times
well, Smooching done discreetly is a sweet gesture of love. But tread carefully, because steamy lip-locks can come off as incredibly tacky.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,118,186 times
Just a little. Hand holding back rubbing. That's it. I kissed in the parking lot. But it was dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships