Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,914 times

Advertisements

This past weekend I attended a high school reunion/meet up at a local club.

I am naturally a very affectionate person and it becomes ten fold after a few (dozen ) beverages, especially with people I haven’t seen in years (it was 10 years at least for some of them). I was hugging, dancing with, holding hands as we were walking through the club crowd and protectively rubbing the backs of my ex classmates, both male and female. I have known them for most of my life and even though we don't see each another much I consider them more or less my brothers and sisters.

I awoke the next morning concerned about my actions as one of the boys had asked me for a kiss during the night and I could see that at least one other was showing interest in me (at least that’s how I perceived it). They both know I have a man as I talked about him a lot during the night.

How do you perceive strong affection from friends? Guys, from women friends?

It wasn't my intention to lead anyone on, and I would hate to think that some of these good male friends now see me as a “tease”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 03:00 PM

84 posts, read 169,416 times
I"m find this troubling myself as well with this new girl I met just a few weeks after my 5 year relationship ended. She also had a bad falling out with a long term mate and is also recovering. She stated and we both agreed that friends would be best for the time being. I like her so much I can't help but be an utmost gentlemen and give her sutble hints that I want us to be in a relationship down the road but without scaring or throwing her off at the same time. All weve done physically is hugging me and shake hands, thats it.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,968 times
i wish i were a bit more physically affectionate with people... hugging, touching someone's back as you guide them somewhere, handshake, kiss on the cheek... all OK

but i dont think should be holding hands with a male friend... one guy i know really likes to put his hands on a girl's hip or is just generally super touchy feely. quite disgusting and makes him seem like a perv. i think some girls are more embarrassed than actually receptive. where's a taser gun when you need it?

anyways, those two guys sound pretty clueless... if they didnt notice that's how you were with everyone. no special treatment here. move on, folks.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
but i dont think should be holding hands with a male friend...
In my defence that was only when we were walking through the crowded club and didn’t want to lose each other, but yeah I know what you’re saying.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
Just be careful not to send mixed messages. Each guy might view your actions in a different way.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,366 times
Well VG i can see how they would feel that way. So even though you are affectionate you have to realize this stuff is perceived by most people as a signal you want more and back off some.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,290 times
I don't like strong affection... especially from other women... And not from guys that are just my friends either. I like it even less if the person is drunk. I don't think I am the affectionate type. I thought I was till I dated a really affectionate guy. He was a good kisser too... He was just too affectionate and I could not take it! I say let's do what we are going to do in the thralls of passion and be done with it

Old 12-12-2010, 05:28 PM

Well I just hope I haven’t screwed up any friendships..

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM

881 posts, read 2,253,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Well VG i can see how they would feel that way. So even though you are affectionate you have to realize this stuff is perceived by most people as a signal you want more and back off some.
ITA - to me you can be affectionate but honestly some of the things you mentioned can come across as being flirty and wanting more. I would take the time to pay more attention to how others are acting. IME most people aren't constantly touching and hanging all over everyone.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 PM

84 posts, read 169,416 times
WOW. Negate my earlier post, I completely misinterpreted the OP thread topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships