Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,229,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Same here.
I'd even go so far as to say that his ability to face life's challenges with intelligent rationality rather than acquiescence to social "norms" is pretty awesome. The fact that he is not threatened by the fact that I don't yes dear him and "submit" to his decisions but bring intelligent rationality of my own doesn't hurt either. The fact that he is really good in bed is, likewise, pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 AM

358 posts, read 208,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Huh. Explain that to my husband and I who have been married for decades. I would not call us genderless by any means. But we don't attach old and out of date value to things that are unimportant in the big scheme of things.
I'm not calling you or your husband genderless, you may want to reread what I wrote. Also, there are like more than 7 billion people in this world, other than you and your husband.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:38 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,229,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMack2017 View Post
I'm not calling you or your husband genderless, you may want to reread what I wrote. Also, there are like more than 7 billion people in this world, other than you and your husband.
You indicated that people with a certain mindset don't stand a chance. That's a fairly universal statement. That mindset included a SAHD which you then implied made the participants in that marriage gender-less. You have a very different vision of gender, I think, based on those statements.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,663,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Yeah - I get it - you hate your job so if anyone is going to stay home, it's going to be you. Have you ever considered the possibility of getting a job you DON'T hate? Just asking...
Listen, the OP asked whether people would be ok with having a SAHD and I gave MY opinion on what would be acceptable to ME, so I don't know why some of you want to interrogate me for sharing MY opinion. My reasons are my reasons and I don't need to justify anything to anyone here. Think the way YOU want and I'll think the way I want. Ok?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:33 AM

477 posts, read 315,888 times
The OP simply asked women if they would be ok with a stay at home dad, and it has now devolved into Team Egalitarian relationship vs. Team Traditional Relationship. Neither is better people, I thought in this day and age it was all about choice without judgment. Just because a person might prefer traditional relationships (with a male "lead") doesn't mean they want to be treated like property. She simply prefers that type of relationship dynamic. And, just because someone prefers an Egalitarian relationship doesn't mean that their marriage is genderless or their husband is submissive. It's just what they prefer. Neither is superior or anymore enlightened than the other, they just are what they are.

To the op, in theory I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be wealthy enough to have a husband at home. He could do the laundry, watch the kid and keep fit and sexy for me . But that's NOT my reality. I'm in an entry level position at the VA and he works for the public works division in our city. Neither one of us has serious paper like that, only enough to pay the mortgage, buy groceries, and try to save for retirement. I would totally be ok with my man being a SAHD, but we just don't have the benjimans to do it.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,262,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMack2017 View Post
From time when people were happier and able to create lifelong bonds. You have been taught history from only one angle, you should expand your view a little. Submission-Dominance play a huge role in every relationship. Todays genderless relationships don't even have a chance because they lack sexual polarity. When a masculine man and a feminine woman come together, they can make it last.
That's actually a very modern concept. For the overwhelming majority of history, marriage was about survival, alliances, and continuation of our species.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,392,628 times
Quote:
That's actually a very modern concept. For the overwhelming majority of history, marriage was about survival, alliances, and continuation of our species.
Pssh. Don't tell him that. You'll ruin his <1950s fantasy when such partnerships were about "lifelong bonds"...based on female dependence, ownership and property. Lol.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,563,488 times
Quote:
Plus, since historically so many women died of complications from pregnancy and childbirth, "lifelong" wasn't necessarily all that long.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 AM

48,632 posts, read 35,099,152 times
My husband would make a great stay at home dad, he is magic when it comes to kids.

It would have to be a joint decision, financial, quality of life, and productivity.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-12-2017, 11:09 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,838,841 times
My first husband stayed home with baby for awhile and did all the cooking and cleaning. So I'm okay with it, as I earned a better wage back in those days.

Hard to explain, but we still had a "traditional" male/female dynamic between us in how we related to each other. Maybe because he was older and I looked to him for guidance a lot.

He was a really good cook. I miss his cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships