Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:27 AM

37,062 posts, read 31,300,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
We all know the concept of a SAHM has always been a thing, but women, would you honestly be okay being married to a SAHD? Say you were the one with a great career and he did do all the cleaning, cooking, errands, child care and everything that SAHMs do, would you be fine with it?
If he did indeed do all the cleaning, cooking, errands, child care and everything SAHMs do. I think the problem many women have with a SAHD is they dont do these things.

We had over the years 2 men here at work who thought they would be SAHDs when their child was born because their wifes make more money. They would say things like, yeah piece of cake, It takes what about one hour to clean the house then Ill just strap the kid in and we'll go fishing.........
One never did one lasted one year with help from his MIL and was chomping at the bits to go back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 11:52 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,515,447 times
You also have to remeber this not everyone has the same set of living standards, circumstances or responsibilities in life. This will contribute heavily to how much work being a stay at home parent will take on.

It's hard to relate everyone's experience to one another in such a one to one way without going in to the specifics of everyone's lives.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:08 PM

901 posts, read 752,888 times
The problem is when you try to go back to work. If you have a gap in your resume, it is not uncommon for a women to say I raised my children and no one bats an eye. But, a man says that.........eek, he will be looked at sideways and scrutinized intensely. Men are looked at as "bums" or "lazy" if they would choose to stay at home.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,489,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
The problem is when you try to go back to work. If you have a gap in your resume, it is not uncommon for a women to say I raised my children and no one bats an eye. But, a man says that.........eek, he will be looked at sideways and scrutinized intensely. Men are looked at as "bums" or "lazy" if they would choose to stay at home.
What century do you live in?

Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
What century do you live in?
I knew a guy who was a SAHD for a few years, he nearly off'ed himself because he couldn't get an interview or a job due to having that gap in his resume. Guy had a degree and everything, recruiters even told him that the SAHD thing was a "dumb move". Luckily, he landed on his feet.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:30 PM

29,815 posts, read 34,720,007 times
Quote:
I knew a guy who was a SAHD for a few years, he nearly off'ed himself because he couldn't get an interview or a job due to having that gap in his resume. Guy had a degree and everything, recruiters even told him that the SAHD thing was a "dumb move". Luckily, he landed on his feet.
How long ago was this, and what industry? Not that it should matter, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander--stay at home parents should be viewed the same.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How long ago was this, and what industry? Not that it should matter, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander--stay at home parents should be viewed the same.
Around 2015, ironically the "tech" industry (since that industry is full of SJW's and PC culture I found it ironic). And I agree they should be viewed the "same". But, this is reality and unfortunately reality doesn't care about "what should be" and what your concept of fair is. SAHM's have issues with gaps in their resumes too, but you'll never hear somebody say a SAHM is "lazy" "just doesn't want to work" "they need to be a real woman(or man)" etc. The problem he also faced was being shunned by other men, especially when he volunteered to coach his sons football teams. Women though he was cool though

Old 09-15-2017, 12:52 PM

290 posts, read 215,794 times
Quote:
Around 2015, ironically the "tech" industry (since that industry is full of SJW's and PC culture I found it ironic). And I agree they should be viewed the "same". But, this is reality and unfortunately reality doesn't care about "what should be" and what your concept of fair is. SAHM's have issues with gaps in their resumes too, but you'll never hear somebody say a SAHM is "lazy" "just doesn't want to work" "they need to be a real woman(or man)" etc. The problem he also faced was being shunned by other men, especially when he volunteered to coach his sons football teams. Women though he was cool though
your friend should have lied and left off the gap. just say he worked there until recently like a couple/few months ago. and if he has friends at his old job...they could probably vouch for him if the company that interviewed him called or something.

even though it's 2017 and this is changing for the better...there are still some companies here and there that discriminate against stay at home dad's. it's unfortunate..but i don't think you can take that chance if you're looking for a job to have a gap because you took care of your children.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:07 PM

20,713 posts, read 16,566,156 times
Quote:
Sure, for women it's not that surprising to be a SAHM (compared to SAHD), but there are few professions where that will get them any points either.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:12 PM

37,062 posts, read 31,300,520 times
Quote:
You think its any different for a woman. Even though it may be more socially acceptable for a woman to be a SAH, that social attitude doesn't make up for the gap in your resume or getting behind in current procedures or new breakthroughs in technology or whatever.
Seriously doubt an employer is going to give much consideration to what you were doing during those years as long as it wasn't being incarcerated or joining a cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships