Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,692,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

As for those that have husbands that aren't up to the task of housekeeping, just remember if/when you have boys.... Father raised me to participate in all household chores. My main responsibility (even today in my household) is the kitchen; cooking and cleaning. This was quite the departure from the father's culture in which only the girls in the household were taught household skills. Father wasn't perfect but that decision (and the one to push me to college) were right on.
Mine is just cluttery, completely unfazed by clutter (actually prefers it), and is chronically disorganized. He wouldn't keep a neat house because he doesn't prioritize keeping a neat house. Disarray does not bother him. He could be up to the task of acceptable housekeeping, if he so chose...he has the capability. It just is simply not a priority. He has many, many outstanding traits. His organizational behavior is not at the the top of that list, though, in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
When my husband is a SAHD, we will be hiring out for housekeeping.

Wise woman.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-15-2017, 10:00 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Mine is just cluttery, completely unfazed by clutter (actually prefers it), and is chronically disorganized. He wouldn't keep a neat house because he doesn't prioritize keeping a neat house. Disarray does not bother him. He could be up to the task of acceptable housekeeping, if he so chose...he has the capability. It just is simply not a priority. He has many, many outstanding traits. His organizational behavior is not at the the top of that list, though, in many ways.
That's interesting, because I'd always thought that military guys have that kind of tidiness drilled into them (NPI).

Old 09-15-2017, 10:25 AM

20,425 posts, read 14,745,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's interesting, because I'd always thought that military guys have that kind of tidiness drilled into them (NPI).
You would think. But my ex, who felt very much at home in the military and could keep their standards when he had to...at home, was a filthy slob and a hoarder.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
You would think. But my ex, who felt very much at home in the military and could keep their standards when he had to...at home, was a filthy slob and a hoarder.

You know, It's a tactic I used to use as a kid.

When I am too lazy to do something, I also pretend to be bad at it. Then no one asks or expects anything.

I think a lot of people here are being had.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,497,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

When I am too lazy to do something, I also pretend to be bad at it. Then no one asks or expects anything.

Like this: How to perfectly load a dishwasher - The Oatmeal

Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I agree. /lol

I read somewhere that in a household, whoever cares the most about something, is in charge of it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Yeah, that's really perfect if you want your spouse to resent you increasingly over the years for never helping and expecting them to do everything for you like a child...and eventually break up with you.

I knew very well that my ex was doing that. And I just took on the work, for the most part, and simmered and hated him for it, lost respect and grew contempt for him. Of course that was one factor among many, but it was one of the more persistent ongoing ones.

But when I refer to my ex as a slob and a hoarder, I mean that he would leave perishable food sitting on the bedroom floor overnight, and then stick it back in the fridge, wipe his greasy or filthy food smeared hands on our bedspread, and his version of cleaning up was to basically put every object that was out of place, into a box or tub, mixed together, and stack it in a closet or in the garage. Then, when he could not find something, he'd just go buy another one. I have no idea how many hammers we owned. Probably at least ten. Lucky if we ever knew where one could be located at any time. Those boxes were full of tattered paperbacks, random tools and hardware, dirty socks, junk mail and other trash, maybe a dirty dish or two...etc. Hoarder.

Oh, and during his time as a stay at home jerk, he also got four dogs and put them in the yard and ignored and neglected them. Guess that was supposed to become my job too?

Anyone who thinks they're being cute manipulating their partner into doing all the work, with the whole "I'm no good at it" game, probably doesn't deserve to be in a relationship. That crap IS childish.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I agree. /lol

I read somewhere that in a household, whoever cares the most about something, is in charge of it.
That's perfectly ok if you agree to it willingly. Not cool if someone has to manipulate you into it.

Present bf and I agree that I do the dishes, it's a chore I actually enjoy doing. He cleans bathrooms. I don't like doing that. No stupid games necessary.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,482,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Y

Anyone who thinks they're being cute manipulating their partner into doing all the work, with the whole "I'm no good at it" game, probably doesn't deserve to be in a relationship. That crap IS childish.
Yup.
And as we can see, plenty of people marry these folks and are willing to overlook this foible.
I know both men and women who are PROUD of using this tactic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships