Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,515,447 times

Advertisements

I was a stay at home parent for a few years.
It just worked out to be better for me to watch the kids while my wife worked on forwarding herself professionally at the time. Everything I could be doing I could get away with doing from home or with minimal time away. My wife would have had to sacrifice her progression to stay at home with the kids and set herself and the family back in the process.

Nobody thought anything of it other than doing what needed to be done to get by and making smart choices for the benefit of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,161,004 times
I would be totally okay with it.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,266,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Nope, no way am I going to work while some guy stays at home.
you never hear a man say "no way am i going to work while my wife stays at home" when it's a SAHM.

i'm totally with you - i would have a very hard time going to work everyday while my husband stayed home, that situation probably wouldn't work for me. Yet i understand SAHM's... i guess society's brainwashing is at work here thinking only a woman can stay at home.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,198,439 times
I have no interest being a SAHP so if the man wanted it and it would be good for the family then sure. No problem.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 AM

29,816 posts, read 34,720,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
you never hear a man say "no way am i going to work while my wife stays at home" when it's a SAHM.

i'm totally with you - i would have a very hard time going to work everyday while my husband stayed home, that situation probably wouldn't work for me. Yet i understand SAHM's... i guess society's brainwashing is at work here thinking only a woman can stay at home.
Even if as a result of him "staying home" you rarely, if ever, had to do laundry or go grocery shopping or had to waste a vacation day waiting for the furnace guy to come fix the furnace or to take the cat to the vet? I would be so up for that.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-11-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 09-11-2017, 09:15 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,266,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Even if as a result of him "staying home" you rarely, if ever, had to do laundry or go grocery shopping or had to waste a vacation day waiting for the furnace guy to come fix the furnace or to take the cat to the vet?
that would be awesome, but i would probably lose attraction and feel like i was the alpha in the relationship which wouldn't work for me. again, basically just society at work, there's really no reason for me to feel that way. just the good old - the man wears the pants and provides/protects.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,715,087 times
Quote:

I totally understand that having the husband stay home works for some couples and I'm fine with that. I'm just saying that for ME, it ain't gonna happen because I hate my job too much and if anyone is going to stay home then it's going to be me...or both of us. Not just him. lol

Old 09-11-2017, 09:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,288,521 times
My husband took 3 weeks off this summer, and it was awesome: no rushing the kids to or from day camp (no paying for day camp), laundry was always done, house was relatively clean, dinner was usually ready when I got home, random errands were taken care of, I didn't have to take off of work to take care of school physicals and orthodontist visits.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:12 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,477,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
That's because he was doing what was required to take care of your son and the home . . it IS a full time job.

Those that 'stay at home' and play on Facebook, play video games, watch tv or sleep most of the day are definitely NOT working at home.
katie45, there's NO WAY I'd be cool with THAT! Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

But technically, a guy like that isn't a Dad in most cases, so it the label STAD doesn't apply to them. I just refer to guys like those as leeches.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,263,043 times
Quote:
that would be awesome, but i would probably lose attraction and feel like i was the alpha in the relationship which wouldn't work for me. again, basically just society at work, there's really no reason for me to feel that way. just the good old - the man wears the pants and provides/protects.
I live in the same society. Somehow I manage to reject that stupidity and manage as alpha of some aspects of the family while deferring to him as alpha in others. Ceding to societal "norms" is a way that change for the good is suppressed in many forms. For what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships