Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:12 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

Can this work in the longrun?

HIM:
Top notch executive
Great college education
attractive
very smart
middle aged

HER:
Secretary
high school graduate
attractive
middle aged

They have some of the same hobbies but mainly he can't really talk to her about stuff he is interested about (like politics).
Her favorite topics are celebrities ...

Anyone ever seen it work (outside the bedroom)?

Can they have a fulfilling conversation at the dinner table or does he get bored of her rather quickly because she it not on his level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 PM

943 posts, read 1,198,371 times
I don't believe it can work in the long run. The only emotion he will feel regarding her is pity due to her lack of intelligence and lust if she is attractive.

He would get bored with her quickly and start getting irritated by her.

tl;dr Will not work.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

HIM:
Top notch executive
Great college education
attractive
very smart
middle aged

HER:
Secretary
high school graduate
attractive
middle aged

They have some of the same hobbies but mainly he can't really talk to her about stuff he is interested about (like politics).
Her favorite topics are celebrities ...

Anyone ever seen it work (outside the bedroom)?

Can they have a fulfilling conversation at the dinner table or does he get bored of her rather quickly because she it not on his level?
No. But that doesn't matter to some men.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,708,585 times
The concern is less about boredom while in each other's company, than with eventual descent into strife and animosity. The less-established partner will come to believe that the better-established partner regards her as being less than his equal. She will feel condescension, whether or not her partner exudes it. He, on the other hand, may subconsciously feel that he "could do better", and would therefore be reluctant to emotionally invest in the relationship.

The standard trope is that much of this imbalance is attenuated if the less-established partner is comparatively more attractive than her counterpart. Then the wealth and status of the one, would counterbalance the physical appeal of the other. I am persuaded that though this might have worked in the past, it's dicey and problematic today.

Also, is "middle aged" closer to 40 or to 60? The older the couple, the less the social and pecuniary distinctions matter.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

HIM:
Top notch executive
Great college education
attractive
very smart
middle aged
LIKES THE OTHER PERSON

HER:
Secretary
high school graduate
attractive
middle aged
LIKES THE OTHER PERSON
Since the jaded people always like to treat a relationship like some sort of balance sheet, let me throw something in there that will balance it all out.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:41 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
To me all the bullet points don't matter. What does matter is they cannot share conversation. It could still work, lots of couples do not share common interests, but I wouldn't be happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Sure it can work. And work well. I have seen people with everything in common divorce and people with nothing much in common thrive.

To me the "one gets out of a relationship what one puts into a relationship" is always right.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:06 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
I dont think it has anything to do with social classes. If they have some stuff in common, then it "can work."

However, it really depends on what they mean by "can work." Maybe they just want to have a purely physical relationship. That can work too.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:40 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
To me all the bullet points don't matter. What does matter is they cannot share conversation. It could still work, lots of couples do not share common interests, but I wouldn't be happy.
How true.

Wifey and I don't have a lot in common but we communicate very well. Also, both of us are dedicated to our marriage. That's all it takes.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I consciously stated "outside bedroom" because I don't want to make it dependend on sex.

And both are attractive.

My question is just all about the differences of class. Of course she knows proper etiquette if they go to a dinner party. But she won't be able to participate in many of the conversations there. Even if she just talks with the women, she still doesn't have much in common with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships