Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 06:17 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,971,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I didn't mean it in a derogatory way

I meant the ex wife was all about work and success, climbing up the ladder. Never took the time to enjoy life.

My friend is all about life, fun, hobbies, family, .. she works but she has no interest in becoming the boss of her company. She puts in her work, leaves and enjoys her free time.
in other words, she doesn't suck as a person

what a waste of your life, to spend to whole time working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,029,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It can be better if one is less interested in politics if the other is very interested in them. If both are interested in politics but oppposite then it could get difficult after a while.

I suspect in many long-term marriages, one spouse was much more into politics, or one much more into celebrities than the other and it worked out fine. It might actually be better to have different interests.
I agree, even though I know of people who are on opposite ends of the spectrum and married and they do just fine. There is a conservative radio talk show host, Mike Gallagher, who was married to a liberal woman until she passed away from cancer in 2008. They seemed to have a very good marriage. I think some people may have brains wired a certain way that differences in social values or religious convictions or politics is not a big deal, even if both are passionate about one view or another.

Personally, I am very grateful that my wife and I share the same values regarding these areas. For us, I think it's important to be on the same page because we are both politically minded and fairly passionate about it. Of course it doesn't mean we have all the same interests. She is much more in tune with celebrity news than I am, though far from obsessed with it. I don't know if it's even possible to be less interested in celebrity news than I am. Then again, she is a passive sports fan and often has to put up with my "expert analysis" during football season. Where there is a lack of mutual interest, a healthy dose of respect for the other can really go a long way.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:09 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,747,607 times
Superstars have a lot to learn from ordinary people. If you marry the social image of yourself with different anatomical parts, you don't have much to learn that is new and exciting that doesn't relate to the anatomical differences.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 PM

39,320 posts, read 27,699,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Can this work in the longrun?

HIM:
Top notch executive
Great college education
attractive
very smart
middle aged

HER:
Secretary
high school graduate
attractive
middle aged

They have some of the same hobbies but mainly he can't really talk to her about stuff he is interested about (like politics).
Her favorite topics are celebrities ...

Anyone ever seen it work (outside the bedroom)?

Can they have a fulfilling conversation at the dinner table or does he get bored of her rather quickly because she it not on his level?
Depends on how these two people define "class"

One way to define it is that

"PAID by the week, rent your house - working class. Paid by the month, own your own house - middle class. Don't have to work, inherited your house, plus estate - upper class.
Eric Robbie, Stroud, Glos"

So it is hard to say if these two belong to the same, similar or completely different social class.

Personally, I found the whole "class" thing a bit silly. As long as two people love each other and are happy. Just enjoy it. Don't worry about it so much. Life is unpredictable at best.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:19 PM

50,418 posts, read 64,172,963 times
The fact that she said she does not want him to see where she lives is VERY telling to me. If she decides something about herself is not good enough for him, and must be less than honest about herself, then nothing he can do will make her stop feeling inferior.
If your friend had a healthy self image, and was proud of herself and the humble apartment she has been able to provide for herself, instead of creating an image she thinks he wants, the relationship could have a shot at success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships