Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,260,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I don't see many people living that way. They want compatibility AFTER physical attraction and things like career and social status are satisfied.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-can-work.html
You've completely proven your point by using another thread.

Look, we get it. You feel like nobody wants you - therefore women only want hot guys because that's the only reason that they don't want you. If you want to continue to believe that - there's nothing that anyone can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM

48,712 posts, read 35,188,181 times
Quote:
I don't see many people living that way. They want compatibility AFTER physical attraction and things like career and social status are satisfied.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-can-work.html

I mean, I'll be honest, those things come highly into play even in platonic friendships.

Well, yeah. For dating I freely admit that there does have to be an initial attraction, like can I visualize kissing with this person.... but I can't *want* them until I get to know them.

I can look at a picture of a guy, and think "yes, he's good looking (to me)", but the attraction won't start until I get to know him, or the attraction can never start.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,858,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You've completely proven your point by using another thread.

Look, we get it. You feel like nobody wants you - therefore women only want hot guys because that's the only reason that they don't want you. If you want to continue to believe that - there's nothing that anyone can do about it.
Pretty much yea.

I didn't say I was upset about it. I just said that's how it is. You have to be happy with your situation.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, yeah. For dating I freely admit that there does have to be an initial attraction, like can I visualize kissing with this person.... but I can't *want* them until I get to know them.

I can look at a picture of a guy, and think "yes, he's good looking (to me)", but the attraction won't start until I get to know him, or the attraction can never start.
Exactly right.

So, if you can't meet that standard of physical attractiveness, you can take it upon yourself to scramble and compensate in other areas to try and make up the difference or just drop out of the competition and live with the results you get from putting in your best effort.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM

48,712 posts, read 35,188,181 times
Quote:
Exactly right.

So, if you can't meet that standard of physical attractiveness, you can take it upon yourself to scramble and compensate in other areas to try and make up the difference or just drop out of the competition and live with the results you get from putting in your best effort.

Well, I can certainly say I wouldn't want a guy to date me if he did not feel sexual chemistry.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 PM

102,377 posts, read 108,679,282 times
Quote:

For me, the attraction starts with personality and common interests, whether he's good-looking or not. A warm smile on anyone is attractive.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Well, I can certainly say I wouldn't want a guy to date me if he did not feel sexual chemistry.
I understand that.

We're all gonna be dead anyway.

Whether you're a guy who's had women by barely lifting a finger since he was 10 or a 55 year old man who has never had a woman, it's better to be happy with your situation and do the things that make you happy.

The only way you can internalize that is by taking yourself out of the competition of life.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Exactly right.

So, if you can't meet that standard of physical attractiveness, you can take it upon yourself to scramble and compensate in other areas to try and make up the difference
This is what a lot of people do, and it works for many of them. The awareness of the need to do this generally starts in highschool. This is just life. Everyone is dealt different cards, and most learn to make the best of the hand they're dealt. Having to struggle in one way or another is what creates depth and wisdom.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what a lot of people do, and it works for many of them. The awareness of the need to do this generally starts in highschool. This is just life. Everyone is dealt different cards, and most learn to make the best of the hand they're dealt. Having to struggle in one way or another is what creates depth and wisdom.
Now that is something I WILL argue about.

Does striving for the best make you happier? Improving your job, body, and charisma so you can get the best person?

In my experience, striving for those things have brought me nothing but misery. And listen to guys here who whine the most. They all believe they need those things and are striving for them.

I mean, listen to what you're saying. "I wasn't born good looking, so I'm going to work on my career and social skills and charisma so people will like me and I can get the best mate I can."

That doesn't sound like any kind of a happy life to me. Better to just be yourself and live with the results.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Now that is something I WILL argue about.
It's a little late, considering how long you've been on this forum, reading the same advice on numerous threads every month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99;
Does striving for the best make you happier?
It works for a lot of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99;
Improving your job, body, and charisma so you can get the best person?

In my experience, striving for those things have brought me nothing but misery. And listen to guys here who whine the most. They are all striving for those things.

I mean, listen to what you're saying. "I wasn't born good looking, so I'm going to work on my career and social skills and charisma so people will like me and I can get the best mate I can."

That doesn't sound like any kind of a happy life to me. Better to just be yourself and live with the results.
You added the bolded. That's your issue. It's not about getting the best mate, but a good mate. The guys here who whine the most AREN'T striving to improve themselves. They seem to think everything should fall in their lap. They get advised by people here to cheer up, and work on their depression, anger, or other issues. Maybe that's not so common for guys, but women learn at an early age to work on their personality, and be fun, considerate, and outgoing. If you don't like this type of advice, you're probably on the wrong forum.

And what alternative is there? To not do anything, and accept your fate. Fine, but that means not wallowing in it and complaining about it. It's a choice you've made, so own it, and live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships