Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,725,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
For me, I wouldn't like calling all the time, either, but I'd definitely prefer a 5-10 minute phone call to catch up and make plans over endless "what's up?"-type texting.
To me being on the phone 10 minutes is a nightmare. It's like you've been 'scheduled in' and it's unnatural. It's a guy that wants to put a girl on the shelf and keep her hanging and only play with her when he wants. Nope....not going for that.

Quick communications more often is much more 'life like' and in real time. It's someone including you in their world even if you aren't in the same location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,725,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I personally think an undue reliance on texting is a sign that the person in question has had a lobotomy. It's an impoverished way to communicate with others in any but the most basic way.
Pardon? Maybe for you it is...but not sure you have any evidence that it is for everyone. I am going to assume that you feel everyone who texts uses txt-spk and other short cuts? If that is the case, you are most assuredly incorrect...but maybe it's a sign you've had a lobotomy instead of everyone else.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,760,932 times
No text for me would be perfect. I'm usually the one trying not to text.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM

48,586 posts, read 35,047,383 times
I loved texting when I was dating. I got a good idea what the person was like and what their sense of humor was. It was a great way to flirt and show you still had interest in the person without taking the time out for a phone call. I found that texting in the beginning increased the comfort level when you met in person.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,196,543 times
Lol @ old people's views on texting

Old 02-08-2014, 01:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,005,662 times
If I really want to talk to you, I'll talk to you. If I don't want to talk to you, well, then there's texting.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:48 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,388,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Total deal breaker, I get bored during the day and like bs'ing with my SO....

For some people, it's no issue at all. Just depends on the personality.. No right or wrong answer here, just personal preferences. If that's a deal breaker or hard and fast rule for you, then don't be surprised when some guys are turned off by it, as with anything else that you aren't willing to compromise on..
This. (I'm a woman)

Little communication is a no-go for me. I'm an excellent conversationalist whether it's texting or talking. The beau and I text/IM regularly throughout the day, and talk on the phone or Skype 45 minutes to 2.5 hours every night.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,702,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
This. (I'm a woman)

Little communication is a no-go for me. I'm an excellent conversationalist whether it's texting or talking. The beau and I text/IM regularly throughout the day, and talk on the phone or Skype 45 minutes to 2.5 hours every night.
I love communicating and am an excellent conversationalist too. How I feel about texting is more like the below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If I really want to talk to you, I'll talk to you. If I don't want to talk to you, well, then there's texting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I personally think an undue reliance on texting is a sign that the person in question has had a lobotomy. It's an impoverished way to communicate with others in any but the most basic way.
Plus, an already established relationship is different. We already know each other and I will text then, but, even then, I prefer important things to be communicated by voice or in person. For instance, we should never be having an argument about something over text or discussing very complicated or difficult matters over text.

Last edited by srjth; 02-09-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,702,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Pardon? Maybe for you it is...but not sure you have any evidence that it is for everyone. I am going to assume that you feel everyone who texts uses txt-spk and other short cuts? If that is the case, you are most assuredly incorrect...but maybe it's a sign you've had a lobotomy instead of everyone else.
This thread was about me personally, and directed to guys for answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
This young man sounds like a very selfish person and he is not listening to you.
Thank you. He's not young though.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,602,505 times
I'd prefer someone who doesn't have any mental hangups over texting, or calling, or talking face-to-face, or email, or IM, or Skype/Facetime/etc...hopefully you get the picture. Just seems like such a minor thing to be concerned or uncomfortable about. I'm the type who will probably text (or IM) if I need to give a quick update or clarification on something...call or face-to-face if a longer discussion is needed or I just want to talk...email if I have to communicate something in a way best suited for that medium or want to share something that was sent to me via email. But even then, I'm flexible on all those things. What matters is that we're comfortable communicating with each other and have ways to reliably get important info to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships