Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,979,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
While I do value all of the married/attached guys opinions and their past experience, I am asking this question to the currently single guys.

Would it be a deal-breaker to you if a woman you are interested in requested not to text (with each other)? This is assuming she told you she was okay with talking on the phone, getting together person, and short emails after you know each other well.

FYI: I did not create this to be a thread to ***** about texting, I just want to know from the guys what they would think if they received this request.
Texting has become a standard form of communication.
If I dated someone who said 'no texting allowed', I would assume they had something to hide.
I would probably not date someone with such a rule. I don't know anyone that doesn't text these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,675,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
This. You can reply when convenient. I am in a group text with 3 friends 24/7. We probably send 300-400 texts throughout the day.
What do you possibly have to say to each other that takes 400 texts a day? For me, that just seems like a lot more pointless conversation than talking on the phone for a few minutes.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,704,617 times
Quote:
While I do value all of the married/attached guys opinions and their past experience, I am asking this question to the currently single guys.

Would it be a deal-breaker to you if a woman you are interested in requested not to text (with each other)? This is assuming she told you she was okay with talking on the phone, getting together person, and short emails after you know each other well.

FYI: I did not create this to be a thread to ***** about texting, I just want to know from the guys what they would think if they received this request.
It would only be a deal breaker if this no texting rule applied to you exclusively. If she doesn't like texting in general, I'm sure I'll be fine with that.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:33 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,622,181 times
The last woman I dated who didn't text was in 2008. When I say she didn't text, I mean she didn't have a text plan and her phone couldn't even receive texts. All the women I've dated in the 5 years since then (ranging in age from mid-20's to early 40's) then have been frequent texters. I'd find it strange in the year 2013 if a woman said she didn't want to text. I think the lack of communication might cause things to fizzle out between us, quite frankly.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,835,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
The last woman I dated who didn't text was in 2008. When I say she didn't text, I mean she didn't have a text plan and her phone couldn't even receive texts. All the women I've dated in the 5 years since then (ranging in age from mid-20's to early 40's) then have been frequent texters. I'd find it strange in the year 2013 if a woman said she didn't want to text. I think the lack of communication might cause things to fizzle out between us, quite frankly.
I don't like texting because I have a pre-paid flip phone... it's a pain in the rear to text on that thing * My point being, not everyone has a good phone for texting (although the people who like to text a lot do).

I don't mind getting texts and I will return them. But I tell people, don't expect me to text back a lot (unless you plan on buying me a smartphone and paying for the service plan).

* The reason I only have a flip phone... (edit) basically it boils down to not having a good time to use it and not needing to use it. I had a smartphone with a data plan and ditched it for the prepaid phone when I was looking at good ways to save money. The luxury of the smartphone wasn't worth the $90 a month for a dataplan. I spend about $200 a year on my cell now.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM

31,405 posts, read 22,390,262 times
Is little or no texting a deal-breaker for SINGLE guys?

I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker as I have never met someone who didn't text at all.

I prefer communicating in person though, so phone calls, emails, or texting are all secondary forms of communicating. I like texting, partially because I find myself in meetings half the day.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:38 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,998,354 times
Quote:
it wouldn't be a deal breaker although i actually prefer text/email for certain logistical things (for instance you're giving me directions, i can look back at them without writing them down) and would probably try to get you to text in those cases

also you'd have to deal with the fact i can't stand talking on the phone for a long time so realistically it's be mostly an in-person only thing for any real communication. which i'd be fine with

it might also perk up my spidey sense that i was your "on-the-sly" guy although only in conjunction with other warning signs

Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM

330 posts, read 547,285 times
I love a guy that calls. Especially if he has a sexy voice.

Texting should be reserved for ironing out details, nourishing existing relationships with friends, family, etc. in those moments you´re busy and can´t hold a conversation. Not as an attempt to develop a connection with a new person in your life. That just signals me that either you´re not that into me or we just don´t have much to talk about.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM

39,503 posts, read 27,881,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I hate texting myself. I never do it. When people in the past have tried to text me, I'll quickly call them. I always say, you could have told me that in ten seconds, instead it took you fifteen minutes to text. How is that supposed to be faster? Technology doesn't always speed things up. I agree with you though. I want to talk to someone. I want to hear their voice, feel their emotion, etc. You can't really do that by text. Plus, things like sarcasm can't exactly be seen in text. People text stupidly too. Like, "hey, do u wnt to hang out" It's not a peeve of mine that people don't spell things; however, it seems a bit lazy.
Agreed! =)

Old 02-08-2014, 03:59 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,752,717 times
This has come up again. It always comes up and I don't know how to deal with it. A guy who i didnt know but seemed interesting asked me for my number. We traded numbers by text. Then after that I say to him that I'm not a big texter to try to let him know how I feel. Then he starts asking me questions about myself by text immediately and just generally trying to chat, which is the thing i hate. This is where I have trouble and don't know what to do. I know if I ignore his texts and not respond, then i know it will make him think that I'm not interested in him when in fact I am. But if I respond then it makes him think that I like texting. I always end up responding because I don't want to appear uninterested or rude, and then he proceeds to chat text me to death and I grow increasing irritated. I will usually then make another comment about how I'm not too keen on texting. Which the guy will either continue to completely ignore, which ends up turning me off of him (due to the growing irritation) or he will take my comment as an insult/rejection/rude/something negative and snap. The guy I just met said "Well then don't text me". I responded "Fair enough" but im pretty sure he's mad. I don't know what that's about. I never know how to bridge this gap with any guy, since most I meet love texting. Maybe it's impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships