Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,982 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker if everything else seemed fine, but it would be strange since I don't know of any girl that doesn't like texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times
As a woman, I am so glad to see that most men (at least here) don't mind not texting. Personally, beyond messages like, "running late, be there in 10" and whatnot, I hate texting--especially inane "conversations".

You know what really funny about texting. All the text abbreviations like "ur" for "you're" (I read it phonetically as "eer") But what's funny to me is most people who text me "ur" have nice smartphones with keyboards. I still have a cheap flip phone since it's all I really need, but when I text, I will still take the time to spell out the proper word. Then again, I am weird like that.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
If she expects phone conversation often that is a deal breaker. I am on the phone all day with clients, the last thing I want to do at 7pm after work is talk with someone on a phone. Text at least allows me to control the conversation at my own pace.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If she expects phone conversation often that is a deal breaker. I am on the phone all day with clients, the last thing I want to do at 7pm after work is talk with someone on a phone. Text at least allows me to control the conversation at my own pace.
This. You can reply when convenient. I am in a group text with 3 friends 24/7. We probably send 300-400 texts throughout the day. My gf and I probably send 30-40... what do you want for dinner.. will you run by the post office for me.. I'm going to get some milk, do you need anything.. how's work going..

Etc etc.. if she called me or I called her for every little thing like that it would be beyond annoying. Phone calls are for important things that typically need to be addressed asap. Asking if I need anything from the store is polite to ask but doesn't warrant calling me at work..

I had a good girl friend who always took forever to respond to my texts. Then one night we were out she pulls out her phone and shows me she had like 50+ texts from friends. I then understood why it typically took her a while to respond.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
This. You can reply when convenient. I am in a group text with 3 friends 24/7. We probably send 300-400 texts throughout the day. My gf and I probably send 30-40... what do you want for dinner.. will you run by the post office for me.. I'm going to get some milk, do you need anything.. how's work going..

Etc etc.. if she called me or I called her for every little thing like that it would be beyond annoying. Phone calls are for important things that typically need to be addressed asap. Asking if I need anything from the store is polite to ask but doesn't warrant calling me at work..

I had a good girl friend who always took forever to respond to my texts. Then one night we were out she pulls out her phone and shows me she had like 50+ texts from friends. I then understood why it typically took her a while to respond.

See, I just ask all that stuff at one time or ask in person. Or in the case of "how's your day" I wait until I see the person in person again and ask how things have been.

I find it annoying when I am doing something else--like say enjoying a nice quiet walk in the woods and I hear the phone buzzing at me and it's innane stuff like, "how are you doing?" "are you there" "hello?" I just want to enjoy a brisk walk darn it (and I feel the need to take a phone for safety purposes). I don't want to have to stop every 20 feet to text back.

Of course, most of my friends have figured out I am not a texter, so they don't bother me much. But every now and then...

But to each his own, some people like texting and some don't. Me... I don't. I am also not a caller... so he won't get a million phone calls from me either. I guess I just don't see the need to be in contact with someone all throughout the day. I talk in person for the most part. Probably a quirk of my personality. The nice thing though, on a date, you never have to worry about me being one of those check her phone ever 5 minute women, lol.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:39 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
While I do value all of the married/attached guys opinions and their past experience, I am asking this question to the currently single guys.

Would it be a deal-breaker to you if a woman you are interested in requested not to text (with each other)? This is assuming she told you she was okay with talking on the phone, getting together person, and short emails after you know each other well.

FYI: I did not create this to be a thread to ***** about texting, I just want to know from the guys what they would think if they received this request.

I hate texting myself. I never do it. When people in the past have tried to text me, I'll quickly call them. I always say, you could have told me that in ten seconds, instead it took you fifteen minutes to text. How is that supposed to be faster? Technology doesn't always speed things up. I agree with you though. I want to talk to someone. I want to hear their voice, feel their emotion, etc. You can't really do that by text. Plus, things like sarcasm can't exactly be seen in text. People text stupidly too. Like, "hey, do u wnt to hang out" It's not a peeve of mine that people don't spell things; however, it seems a bit lazy.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
See, I just ask all that stuff at one time or ask in person. Or in the case of "how's your day" I wait until I see the person in person again and ask how things have been.

I find it annoying when I am doing something else--like say enjoying a nice quiet walk in the woods and I hear the phone buzzing at me and it's innane stuff like, "how are you doing?" "are you there" "hello?" I just want to enjoy a brisk walk darn it (and I feel the need to take a phone for safety purposes). I don't want to have to stop every 20 feet to text back.

Of course, most of my friends have figured out I am not a texter, so they don't bother me much. But every now and then...

But to each his own, some people like texting and some don't. Me... I don't. I am also not a caller... so he won't get a million phone calls from me either. I guess I just don't see the need to be in contact with someone all throughout the day. I talk in person for the most part. Probably a quirk of my personality. The nice thing though, on a date, you never have to worry about me being one of those check her phone ever 5 minute women, lol.
That definitely makes sense. Nothing worse than being on a date and a girl won't get off her phone lol.

I leave my phone on silent so I only check it at my convenience. If I'm in the woods or at the beach I have no way of knowing. Thats the beauty of texting, you respond back at your convenience.

If you look at my posting history (like this one) 99% of my posts are all sent from my phone anyways, so texting is quick.

As you said, to each their own. My days at work are often slow and it's easier to text friends than to talk when we are all bored.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
I'm a busy man from 2am-6pm and cant respond rapidly to personal calls or texts (unless its a business client) so, i prefer email messages.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Because I don't enjoy it.

I do text to trade info like directions and stuff.... and here and there with friends I know really well when we can't really talk (like when at work) and it's semi-urgent, but it's usually short messages.
I can't believe you don't have a man yet. If you were properly aged I'd throw down.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:03 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcloudy View Post
I don't know if I would consider it a dealbreaker necessarily but I would question our compatibility. Personally I enjoy texting here and there throughout the day as opposed to sitting down for a lengthy time frame and talking. One of my Ex's preferred talking (although we would still text quite often at the time) on the phone regularly and it would often leave me frustrated. Although I have an introverted personality too.

This for me too. It would hinder communication and anything that hinders communication. Some texting in the evening or during breaks at work, etc to keep in touch and update each other about our day is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships