Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 05:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I have news for you: the DC area gets new attractive college grads every year, when gov't agencies do their hiring. Women come in from all over the country to work there. Your theory doesn't hold water at all.
For what it's worth.

15 Reasons Why Washington DC Sucks For Guys

I also heard some bars there require a passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Why would anyone subject themselves to life in DC? Are they somehow glutons for ear numbing pretentious chatter? If I wanted to live around policy wonks and technocrats I would've stayed in college forever. That is the type of place where they ask where you went to school first before what you do in life.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM

106 posts, read 171,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
For what it's worth.

15 Reasons Why Washington DC Sucks For Guys

I also heard some bars there require a passport.

That opinion is written by a white guy who only wants to date white women. I think that makes a difference. Personally, being black and open to dating women of all races, DC is not a bad place... pretty decent even.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM

106 posts, read 171,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why would anyone subject themselves to life in DC? Are they somehow glutons for ear numbing pretentious chatter? If I wanted to live around policy wonks and technocrats I would've stayed in college forever. That is the type of place where they ask where you went to school first before what you do in life.
DC is what you make it. Of course there are tons of people in DC who work for the government. In fact, I would say a vast majority of professional people work for the government directly or indirectly. But most of those people really aren't the Hillrats people say they are. And they are all from different areas of the country.

I guess it all depends on your attitude. If you go to DC hellbent on denouncing anything related to government or politics, then you will become irritated with everyone around you, before you even get to meet good people you are prejudging. If you approach it with an open mind looking to have a good time and meeting people from every state and many different countries, the experience becomes quite enjoyable.

I love DC.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I've heard a lot of great things about D.C , only went there once when I was young, in 4th grade I believe.

I'd love to go back and see all the historic spots and check out some of the bars/restaurants .

Personally , I think I'd rather be around the 'government industry' than the 'entertainment industry' people in L.A

The thing interesting about D.C is so many work for the government , and the housing is so super expensive...but they do it all for the better of mankind right??..LOL

Old 09-10-2013, 06:26 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Regarding industry people. It's funny I grabbed breakfast today in Van Nuys at a diner type place , definitely not a hipster type place , but a place that's been there forever.

One group was talking 'industry' stuff , getting projects done ,etc. They seemed like they kind of knew each other casually. I was like "Damn , people are even talking about stuff at a place like this...you can't get away from it"

Then the next group that sat down was more interesting. They were probably in their 50s, and sounded like they were comedians or were in that business. The one guy was talking about being backstage w/ Kathy Griffin.
But it seemed they were cooler, more down to earth as it sounded like they lived in L.A for a while or were possibly born here. To me it's more annoying when it's some young guys yapping about how they are going to be the next big thing in Hollywood.
Wells that no a huge surprise - I totally would have expected Van Nuys to be within the Hollywood sphere. After all, the filmed the Office there, and of course its not far from the Valleys more infamous filming industry. Thats right: Bow-chicka-bow

Old 09-10-2013, 06:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
The only thing DC has over L.A. is that it's closer to New York.

As I said on another thread I would rather live in the Inland Empire or Fresno than live in DC.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
And I will add one thing about West LA. I still think parts of West LA including South Santa Monica, Venice, PDR, Culver, Mar Vista-Palms do have the insufferable materialism/superficiality a little diluted compared to Beverly Hills/WeHo and environs for the simple fact that you do have more going on there than just industry.

You do have a lot of people that don't care about the industry and just like living close to the beach, yet also close to work, you also have different industries unrelated to THE industry, IE: many UCLA students/faculty/staff live close by, etc.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Wells that no a huge surprise - I totally would have expected Van Nuys to be within the Hollywood sphere. After all, the filmed the Office there, and of course its not far from the Valleys more infamous filming industry. Thats right: Bow-chicka-bow
True , it shouldn't have been a surprise. I guess it was just that it wasn't a trendy type place. But I guess you never know in L.A since the 'industry' is big and people eating in the middle of the day normally don't have 'regular jobs' , I do ,but was working late .

They did have a lot of faded photos of B,C or D "celebs" on the wall.

Apparently Ike Turner hangs out at this place or used to.

Also a pretty interesting story :
" Over the years, owner Nat Elias formed a close bond with 18-year-old Mexican busboy Victor Carlos, an eager immigrant working his way up the restaurant's ladder. When Elias finally decided to retire, he "sold" the restaurant to Carlos in a special arrangement, allowing Carlos to make payments over time"

But I'm a sucker for stories like that. You don't hear about them too often. Even the guy was making very little he was able to buy the business because of the arrangement and has run it successfully.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
And I will add one thing about West LA. I still think parts of West LA including South Santa Monica, Venice, PDR, Culver, Mar Vista-Palms do have the insufferable materialism/superficiality a little diluted compared to Beverly Hills/WeHo and environs for the simple fact that you do have more going on there than just industry.

You do have a lot of people that don't care about the industry and just like living close to the beach, yet also close to work, you also have different industries unrelated to THE industry, IE: many UCLA students/faculty/staff live close by, etc.
Those are all places with a substantial industry presence, in the case of South SM and increasingly Venice you have a very heavy industry presence there. To some extent what you say would have been more true 20 years ago than today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships