Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,035,529 times

Advertisements

Sorry, hon. I own this business and I say what is and is not my job.

And do you honestly not know 1000 people? Are you, like, the unabomber or something? I'm not talking close personal friends here, just people I know and have spent time with and have discussed this stuff with.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,444,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Is this your way of saying that all other factors can't be equal
They can't. As I said many times. So it is nice to see it sinking in now. The differences between - say - my relationship with the girls and a couple are wide enough that all factors can not be equal. Even from couple to couple all things are never equal. So the "All things being equal" foundation you build your opinions on in this thread are simply baseless and the result matches reality in no discernible way.

Quote:
I don't see a single benefit to polyamory/polygamy/"open" relationships that monogamous relationships cannot include, aside from sex with other people.
Funny given I listed you some in posts on this very thread. By "Dont see" you clearly mean "have covered my eyes and ears and have ignores by going la la la al al".

Quote:
What do you mean? I'm talking of the risk of STDs and jealousy/feeling left out. There is admittedly a risk of both in any sort of relationship, including monogamy. But when more sexual partners are added, each partner brings a level of risk identical to the others', figuring they all have the same sense of personal responsibility and propensity to feel jealous or left out. The kind of risk is the same, but increased.
Not really. The risks are the same in many ways. In some other ways they are even reduced.

Further all you are doing is taking the result set of "All risks" and focusing on one of them and saying "This one increases - therefore the whole set of risks is increased - therefore the risks are great with type X over type Y". This is very biased thinking and not at all realistic. Showing that one risk from the result set increases does NOT mean the relationship type itself is riskier. Other risks are mediated and reduced. To declare one relationship type better or less risky than another therefore you have to show the result set _as a whole_ is increaed. Not just one you willfully cherry pick to serve your own agendas.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,444,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But to be clear, Jesus IS God.
This is a thread about marriage and monogamy. Not a thread for you to derail with preaching and speading religion. "God" has nothing to do with it - especially since you have never once shown there even is such a thing.

Further you are trying to appeal to definitions in this thread saying that marriage is defined as being between two people only - of opposite sex. Backing this up with little more than repeating cliches about roses. The fact is the definition of marriage is not set in stone and it changes - has changed much in the past - and continues to change today. In fact in the past and in places in the world today marriage is/was NOT defined as you describe it.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 AM

44,440 posts, read 20,216,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
This is a thread about marriage and monogamy. Not a thread for you to derail with preaching and speading religion. "God" has nothing to do with it - especially since you have never once shown there even is such a thing.
Exactly. Please stay on topic, folks. Religion belongs in the Religions forum and Political Controversy belongs in the P&OC forum.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships