Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to derail the thread, but Christians believe in three persons in ONE God.
I don't think that is true. While the holy trinity you describe is part of Roman Catholic mythology, there are many christian sects for which Jesus was simply the human son of God the father.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't think that is true. While the holy trinity you describe is part of Roman Catholic mythology, there are many christian sects for which Jesus was simply the human son of God the father.
Those "sects" are in the minority, and it is debatable to some if they are even "Christian".

Mainstream Christians of all denominations believe in a Triune God - 3 people in 1 God

Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Hmm. Now we've not only changed thread direction, but we've moved into the imaginary plane.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Additional precautions (using "protection" more often during sex and making extra sure to keep feelings of jealousy/feeling "left out" at bay) are needed in the polygamous/polyamorous/"open" relationships to put it on equal ground as the monogamous relationship in terms of risk.
I'm not sure what you mean here. The only times I haven't used protection in (monogamous) relationships was when we were trying to conceive. If they're having issues with jealousy and feeling left out, it doesn't sound polyamorous at all. That sounds like one out of the group would prefer a monogamous relationship to me.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here. The only times I haven't used protection in (monogamous) relationships was when we were trying to conceive. If they're having issues with jealousy and feeling left out, it doesn't sound polyamorous at all. That sounds like one out of the group would prefer a monogamous relationship to me.

We experienced both of those things early on. Over at the poly board, you hear about it all the time. When you start exploring in uncharted territory, it is hard to know how to feel. Working THROUGH the issues by combining being able to ask for reassurance and getting over oneself and toughening up is one of the things that strengthener the relationship.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
We experienced both of those things early on. Over at the poly board, you hear about it all the time. When you start exploring in uncharted territory, it is hard to know how to feel. Working THROUGH the issues by combining being able to ask for reassurance and getting over oneself and toughening up is one of the things that strengthener the relationship.
That would get old for me quickly.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:06 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
You have to work through issues in monogamous relationships too, and often jealousy is one of those issues. Does that get old quickly, too? If so, how do you sustain and grow your relationship?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
That would get old for me quickly.
Me too. But it seemed to me that your point was incorrect that experiencing jealousy is incompatible with polyamory. From what I understand, it is not uncommon at all in relationships in which new additions to the team are part of the experience. Yin and yang, perhaps, compersion and jealousy.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
You have to work through issues in monogamous relationships too, and often jealousy is one of those issues. Does that get old quickly, too? If so, how do you sustain and grow your relationship?
It sounds like jealousy/feeling left out happens more often in polyamory. I dislike "feelings" conversations, but these things must be dealt with. If it happens more often in poly relationships, then I'd have to have these types of conversations more often. Hence, it would get old fast. That's fine if others want to deal with it. But that would be a problem for me.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It sounds like jealousy/feeling left out happens more often in polyamory. I dislike "feelings" conversations, but these things must be dealt with. If it happens more often in poly relationships, then I'd have to have these types of conversations more often. Hence, it would get old fast. That's fine if others want to deal with it. But that would be a problem for me.
Know thyself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.