Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 09:18 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,817,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Me too. But it seemed to me that your point was incorrect that experiencing jealousy is incompatible with polyamory. From what I understand, it is not uncommon at all in relationships in which new additions to the team are part of the experience. Yin and yang, perhaps, compersion and jealousy.
I had jealousy issues when we got married and women who seemingly hadn't noticed my husband before, started noticing him when he was wearing ring. I admitted it and I dealt with it. Otherwise, we haven't had issues with jealousy.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,489,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
It sounds like jealousy/feeling left out happens more often in polyamory. I dislike "feelings" conversations, but these things must be dealt with. If it happens more often in poly relationships, then I'd have to have these types of conversations more often. Hence, it would get old fast. That's fine if others want to deal with it. But that would be a problem for me.
Jealousy is usually based in fear, and often expressed as anger. Conversations aren't really the answer - yes, the object of the jealousy may have to listen non-judgmentally about the jealous partner's feelings, but it is the job of the person experiencing it to work through. Often the target isn't doing anything wrong, but the jealous person perceives it as such.

There is an excellent chapter on jealousy and how to work through it in the book "The Ethical Slvt". Much of it also applies to monogamous relationship jealousy.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Jealousy is usually based in fear, and often expressed as anger. Conversations aren't really the answer - yes, the object of the jealousy may have to listen non-judgmentally about the jealous partner's feelings, but it is the job of the person experiencing it to work through. Often the target isn't doing anything wrong, but the jealous person perceives it as such.

There is an excellent chapter on jealousy and how to work through it in the book "The Ethical Slvt". Much of it also applies to monogamous relationship jealousy.
Yeah, I don't need the lecture. I was just pointing out that I, personally, wouldn't want to deal with a relationship where these issues raise their head more often.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't need the lecture. I was just pointing out that I, personally, wouldn't want to deal with a relationship where these issues raise their head more often.
I understand that. I think that your assumption that they arise more often is flawed.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I understand that. I think that your assumption that they arise more often is flawed.
But that's what she said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up .

Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,216,997 times
Quote:
But that's what she said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up .

Yes I did. I disagree with TD.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,843,964 times
Those who think that marriage is not a sacred trust and that monogamy is not important will never do well in the mafia - Loyalty is an absolute must. If I were a boss and wanted to put a person in a high position of trust - I would not if they could not be trusted by their spouse...also if they were in an "open" relationship...I would understand they are not really capable of having a relationship - and I could NOT respect them.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yes I did. I disagree with TD.
Ouch! I'll go flagellate myself now.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:14 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,216,997 times
Quote:
Ouch! I'll go flagellate myself now.
LOL! We can respectfully disagree on this small matter I think!

Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Those who think that marriage is not a sacred trust and that monogamy is not important will never do well in the mafia - Loyalty is an absolute must. If I were a boss and wanted to put a person in a high position of trust - I would not if they could not be trusted by their spouse...also if they were in an "open" relationship...I would understand they are not really capable of having a relationship - and I could NOT respect them.
I don't think poly's are concerned about your trust or getting into the mafia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.