Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,941,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I think the inappropriate sex joke set you up for a straight diss.

Your "friend" openly made you look like a chump, and girls do not want to be w/ guys other (taller) women would so boldly reject.

That being said, none of this would have happened had you kept your mouth shut in the first place. While I agree that no one here really knows exactly what your gf is thinking, it's obviously given her something to think about...

Good luck.

This. I think most women who only saw you as a friend would pretty much diss you. Maybe not in such a complex anti-short man response but at least a "EWW" or "Hell no" or "In your dreams".

How else would you expect her to react?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,850,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
OP - did you go off on your friend Jane about what she had said regarding your height, in front of your GF? your post didn't make it clear.

if you did, it's possible your GF saw that as some sort of hidden complex? i dunno...
No, of course not. I'm not a maniac. I called her the next day when I was by myself.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Your friend obviously didn't like your joke or she wouldn't have responded like that. You weren't dumped because of your friend, so you can stop being a little girl and acting like it's her fault. What are you a 15 year old high school girl? Good lord dude, grow a pair.

I bet your gf had been waiting to dump you for a while regardless.
Nice. So glad you know me so well. I took your advice (which was really constructive by the way) and I decided to sprinkle some ball-growth powder down there this morning, and now I'm shaping up to have a nice set of balls. So I can be an internet tough guy like you!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,873,396 times
What did your girlfriend say when you asked her what was bothering her? Are you still together? If not, what was her reason for breaking up with you? We need more information in order to offer observations and opinions.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM

Obviously, posting here was a waste of my time. If you don't know someones personality, it seems that people enjoy just ripping into you. Like I said, if Robin Williams said this, it would be fine. Its easy to compartmentalize someone you don't know, and assume that they can't get away with jokes- only certified comedians can. Think a little outside the box, people. Personalities are multi-faceted and dynamic, not pixels on a computer screen.

My GF was not insulted by what I said. I'm 1000%, Maury Povich-style, certain of that. How do I know? She started dating me because she loves my sense of humor and I'm well known in my group of friends of being a jokester. Clearly, that is not going to come across on here. So, I'm not going to continue to address that.

I'm quite sure that she (who was too shy to comment to my friend Jane, who is bold and opinionated) was questioning things after hearing what my ex-friend said. Maybe that makes her weak willed. I would agree with that. While I have no window into her brain, any man who is in-tune with his woman can sense a marked change in her demeanor immediately after this. Otherwise, as a man, you shouldn't be dating.

I spoke with another girl-friend today to ask her. She is also about 5'0" tall, and she said that it never came across to her that I am short, because I am 5" taller than her. She said I don't carry myself as a short guy or appear that way. She said that, as a woman, she thinks my ex was impulsive and flakey. She thinks its possible that Pandoras box was probably opened in some way by what my friend said. She also said that some other dude, was eyeing her up that night and she thinks that my ex might have gotten his business card. I was with her almost the whole night, but I didn't want to hang over her like a vulture, so its possible. I'm going to call my ex one final time today and *try* to talk to her, because I just want to know the truth, so I can work on whatever I might have done wrong for next time.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What did your girlfriend say when you asked her what was bothering her? Are you still together? If not, what was her reason for breaking up with you? We need more information in order to offer observations and opinions.
She said she was fine, but she looked like she had a lot on her mind. Kinda distracted and daydreaming. She was nearly silent when I drove her home. She gave a friendship hug and kiss when I dropped her off at her car. She drove away quickly. All hints to me or anyone with a heartbeat.

She never gave a reason, because I never got a chance to talk with her. I called her once, texted her twice, and sent a FB message. She updated the photo on her FB page, but never responded to me. So I know she is ignoring me. I'm not going to continue to pursue if shes not interested. I've done that in the past, and you immediately get the "creepy" label. I don't think its creepy to want an explanation, but women think differently so I'm respecting that.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,896,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Obviously, posting here was a waste of my time. If you don't know someones personality, it seems that people enjoy just ripping into you. Like I said, if Robin Williams said this, it would be fine. Its easy to compartmentalize someone you don't know, and assume that they can't get away with jokes- only certified comedians can. Think a little outside the box, people. Personalities are multi-faceted and dynamic, not pixels on a computer screen.

My GF was not insulted by what I said. I'm 1000%, Maury Povich-style, certain of that. How do I know? She started dating me because she loves my sense of humor and I'm well known in my group of friends of being a jokester. Clearly, that is not going to come across on here. So, I'm not going to continue to address that.

I'm quite sure that she (who was too shy to comment to my friend Jane, who is bold and opinionated) was questioning things after hearing what my ex-friend said. Maybe that makes her weak willed. I would agree with that. While I have no window into her brain, any man who is in-tune with his woman can sense a marked change in her demeanor immediately after this. Otherwise, as a man, you shouldn't be dating.

I spoke with another girl-friend today to ask her. She is also about 5'0" tall, and she said that it never came across to her that I am short, because I am 5" taller than her. She said I don't carry myself as a short guy or appear that way. She said that, as a woman, she thinks my ex was impulsive and flakey. She thinks its possible that Pandoras box was probably opened in some way by what my friend said. She also said that some other dude, was eyeing her up that night and she thinks that my ex might have gotten his business card. I was with her almost the whole night, but I didn't want to hang over her like a vulture, so its possible. I'm going to call my ex one final time today and *try* to talk to her, because I just want to know the truth, so I can work on whatever I might have done wrong for next time.
clearly your FF didnt find it funny and it would appear neither did your GF...did you want us all to say...."funny joke man, I just cannot see why your GF had an issue with this?"...we are expressing our opinion only based on what you told us because thats all we have to go by..

As for wasting time...I think its US who are wasting our time in this thread..you just want a poster to give you the 'you are in the right' post...

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm a female & here's what I think. Yes, it's unfortunate that you lost both your GF & friend over this superficial nonsense, NONE of which I don't think is any of your fault. But if you lost them over this "on the surface" issue, they'll obviously never last when the going gets tough & stand by you through thick & thin, so who cares if they're gone!

I'll start with your female friened Jane. A true friend wouldn't talk so boldly about this in front of your significant other. It seems she purposely tried to mess things up. How good a friend has she been in the past because she seems very superficial, noncaring, insensitive, thoughtless, & probably materialistic too, etc. To her, the guys she dates probably have to make a certain amount of money & have a certain type of possessions. So , I think you haven't lost anyone of good caliber if you lost her as a friend...so no big deal! And anyone who's friends with her aren't that great either, otherwise, they wouldn't like someone like that.

Now as for your girlfriend. She can plainly see with her own eyes that you're short, so she should be smart enough to think about this sort of thing on her own regarding if she marries you & has kids with you, that the kids won't be as tall if she married a 6'3" guy...obviously. She's superficial too if she's going to allow a 15 min talk from Jane affect your otherwse seemingly good relationship. How long had you two been dating anway?

I say good riddacne to them BOH! Start fresh & get better quality friends who look MUCH deeper than one's physical appearance & pick better quality GFs too.
I agree with this 100%. I also said to myself that if she bailed so quickly, for no real reason, when the going got tough (and it always does), she might have bailed again. Still, its hard because its fresh and, well, I really liked this girl. We were dating about 3 months and I was exclusive to her (and hopefully, her to me )

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
clearly your FF didnt find it funny and it would appear neither did your GF...did you want us all to say...."funny joke man, I just cannot see why your GF had an issue with this?"...we are expressing our opinion only based on what you told us because thats all we have to go by..

As for wasting time...I think its US who are wasting our time in this thread..you just want a poster to give you the 'you are in the right' post...
Ok, thanks for your opinion.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,148,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
sorry...you wouldnt have made that comment to a FF you were not attracted to..in case she got ideas which you were not willing to entertain..at the very least you thought your FF was attractive.
I disagree. I've made plenty of inappropriate jokes with people I didn't actually want to sleep with. Friends banter back and forth all the time. Maybe I'm just hard to offend but I don't see the big deal with what was said. Regardless being in a mature adult relationship means communicating, so whatever her issue is who knows or cares at this point. Silent treatment is what little kids do to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships