Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It does make sense. No one goes around damn look at your old arse.
I don't believe though they all want to give a person false compliments.
Not false compliments necessarily, but they're going to err in the direction of guessing too low rather than guessing too high. Like I said, there's nothing to lose by guessing too low, and everything to lose by guessing too high, so which do you think people are going to do?

I've even had a woman be upset with me when I guessed her age correctly right on the nose, because she was used to people guessing too low, and therefore believed she looked younger than her age. (She didn't. She looked exactly her age, like most people.) So now, I intentionally guess way too low every time with every woman, just to be safe. Can't hurt. This is what we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Not false compliments necessarily, but they're going to err in the direction of guessing too low rather than guessing too high. Like I said, there's nothing to lose by guessing too low, and everything to lose by guessing too high, so which do you think people are going to do?

I've even had a woman be upset with me when I guessed her age correctly right on the nose, because she was used to people guessing too low, and therefore believed she looked younger than her age. (She didn't. She looked exactly her age, like most people.) So now, I intentionally guess way too low every time with every woman, just to be safe. Can't hurt. This is what we do.
I guess.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I guess.
I'm assuming that's the closest you ever come to saying "you're right," so thanks.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,044,020 times
Well I guess I'm one of your "anomalies" Plzen.

The funniest thing that's ever happened to me was while I was casually dating a guy who's 34, we were out at a lounge one night when some girl he evidently knew came up to him and asked why he was dating high schoolers. Obviously trying to insult me, but I figured I was actually older than her so I just laughed at her and said "How old are you?" She said 26. I told her I was 28, but thanked her for the compliment, then suggested she run along.

Girls be dumb.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming that's the closest you ever come to saying "you're right," so thanks.
Haha...no I can say others are right.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,716 times
I like telling my real age because I get sicko satisfaction from the "Wtf" look on their faces.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:

My husbands secretary did this. It was his birthday and his secretary guessed him to be 36. When he told her he was turning 32 he said she turned bright red and said she thought she was complimenting him because she really thought he was near 40".

She tried back-peddaling a bit, telling him she only thought that because of the position he held at his age ...LMAO cracks me up!

He has since "caught up" and now looks his age.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
My husbands secretary did this. It was his birthday and his secretary guessed him to be 36. When he told her he was turning 32 he said she turned bright red and said she thought she was complimenting him because she really thought he was near 40".

She tried back-peddaling a bit, telling him she only thought that because of the position he held at his age ...LMAO cracks me up!

He has since "caught up" and now looks his age.
Awesome. I'm in my late 30's. When I'm at work I've had people guess me to be in my 40's. When I'm out on the town I've had people guess me to be early 30's. Apparently context plays a role. Or maybe some people are just really bad at guessing ages.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Awesome. I'm in my late 30's. When I'm at work I've had people guess me to be in my 40's. When I'm out on the town I've had people guess me to be early 30's. Apparently context plays a role. Or maybe some people are just really bad at guessing ages.
I think you are right. Context matters and the "guesser" matters too.

My students all think I'm 20-something (they are 3rd grade) and their reasoning...because I look "way younger than" their mom...LOL

Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
You give the 30's vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships