Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Obviously that statement seems to be bugging you. I think "straight" is a label you have to decide to use for yourself. Even if you do find the same sex hot 10% of the time, if you want to identify yourself as straight, that's your prerogative. I'm not telling anyone what to call themselves or how to be. I am just saying I think it is rare for human beings to be completely attracted to only one sex 100% of the time, and never even find one member of the other sex attractive their whole lives--even if it's 5 seconds of seeing a sexy person on the street.
I think anyone with the ability to self-eroticize has that ability, at least occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM

303 posts, read 595,674 times
I'm probably the least girly / dowdy straight girl you'll ever meet. I'm a khakis and polo shirt (work) and T-shirt and Jeans (leisure) kind of girl. Hair pulled back into a ponytail, in what's considered a male-dominated industry (IT). I also have a somewhat male-ish way of talking. Can't explain that part very well, except to say that I got most of my mannerisms from my dad and older brothers.

That being said, yes, I'm mistaken for lesbian a LOT. It's kind of an ego boost, and I used to wonder if people were right... so I experimented. Realized, eech, it's not for me. Frankly, what goes on in a woman's no-no zone grosses me out... and that's even talking about a well-maintained one. Got on with my current boyfriend and, yeah, give me the c*ck over the V any day. =) Not knocking the lesbian lifestyle, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by TheMillersWife; 05-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Apparently Jamaican slang is frowned upon as well. =)

Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Obviously that statement seems to be bugging you. I think "straight" is a label you have to decide to use for yourself. Even if you do find the same sex hot 10% of the time, if you want to identify yourself as straight, that's your prerogative. I'm not telling anyone what to call themselves or how to be. I am just saying I think it is rare for human beings to be completely attracted to only one sex 100% of the time, and never even find one member of the other sex attractive their whole lives--even if it's 5 seconds of seeing a sexy person on the street.
Nah, I know that members both sexes can be attractive, but I don't say that any man is "hot." The whole subject doesn't bug me, though I did grow up in a VERY homophobic culture and environment and have had to deal with that (having found out that my brother and son are gay).

Old 05-08-2012, 02:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Why confused, Mokan? I am physically and emotionally attracted to women. There was a very brief time in high school when I did wonder, because I seemed to have, well, okay let's say 'crushes' on a few guys, but I still had crushes on girls and I've had them since I was like 8 years old. I've never really been physically turned on by any male, so I'm quite secure in my sexuality.
Why do I think you might be confused? It's just the theme of the threads you've created and the things you've said lately. Plus, I know that some folks have a very difficult time coming out if they are gay, and just by getting being confused, whether they are or not. It seems so simple, though, so I don't understand why those who are gay have such a hard time figuring it out. Like I said in my prior post, it all boils down to whether you are romantically and sexually attracted to, both emotionally and physically. All through my childhood I had "normal" kiddy crushes on girls. In elementary school we had this thing where we "chased girls" on the playground. Then when I was 11 or 12 and in 6th grade, I hit the part of puberty in which I became "sexually aware" and I noticed girls in a whole new way, especially my newfound sexual attraction to them physically. Actually, my math and science teacher, Mrs. Cook, I remember distinctly thinking she had a really nice azz. In all reality, she was nothing special, but being at that age when the wind blows and you get an erection, she was really something. Despite these facts, I've still gotten confused. Actually, I think it's really just paranoia. What's most confusing and perplexing to me is that I've met gay men who are middle aged and were married and had kids, only to come out much later in life. That seems so strange to me. It's hard to understand. But it's generally said to be our culture was so rigid for folks who are now middle aged and older when they were younger, that the concept of homosexuality wasn't even thought of, so they had no idea they could even be that, so they just did the "normal" thing and dated girls, married, and had kids. I understand that, but honestly it still freaks me out a bit. But then our conciousness has been hit hard by homosexuality lately by the media, so I guess it makes sense. You've probably noticed I've created a lot of gay threads and that's driven by the fact I just have a really hard time understanding it, and I need to give it up because it's something I'll never fully understand, just as I'll never understand what it's like to be a woman, black, etc. etc. As for what you've said, Trimac, that thing where you said you've had "crushes" on boys when you were a boy and that you're 95% straight also makes me think you could be confused. But then there are a lot of people who said sexuality is not 100% either way, so who knows.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
I think it's the fact that I'm capable of both eroticizing both women and men that accounts for the 5 or so percent in me. I don't really want to share all my inner-most thoughts and feelings and experiences, but suffice to say, I definitely dig the opposite sex.
Quote:
No one is making you, but the reason why some are turned off it has something to do with how they were brought up.

I'm not saying it's not biological, of course, but I remember automatically when seeing a naked man, trying to repress any erotic thoughts. Even if I did let reign to them, they were fairly minor, but it's an example.
Dude, some of the things you say....

Can you expand or provide examples of how you can "eroticize" both men and women?

That second bit, about repressing thoughts, really screams confusion. If you have to repress them, that must mean they are just coming out you, which is weird. And you've never had a GF?

What type of these thoughts to you acknowledge and discover were "fairly minor"?

All this stuff makes me think all sorts of things and I'm still not convinced all people are "born that way". Somehow I think at least some folks could almost choose a route. There's more to it than what we know.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM

391 posts, read 688,087 times
Quote:

Have you ever been mistaken/thought of as being gay before?
No one should make the leap from a man not having a woman in their
life to the assumption that because of that they are gay.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
unfortunately people will say things like that if the person doesn't have a regular partner or isn't going on about their great sex life. I don't really 'get' it. But whatever is 'normal' to them, must be 'normal' to everyone else! Whatever.

I'm bisexual but don't date or sleep with either sex. Ha, I have no idea if indifference equals asexuality or not.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 05-08-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Have you ever been mistaken/thought of as being gay before?
I'm not gay, but some might think so due to my general lack of interest in men and sex. I don't give off a lesbian vibe with my looks or mannerisms though.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,605,427 times
Yep, sure did. My sister decided she wanted to go to a gay bar to celebrate her birthday (she's weird), so we went with few friends. Most likely 95% people there were gay/ I spot this smoking hot girl and as im about to come up and talk to her, she approaches me with a smile and says "Hi, I want to introduce you to my friend Frank". I told her im not gay, but i that i thought that she was cute and would like to talk to her. Of course, her gay freind Frank decides to **** block me for the rest of the night, because the chick was already married.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,330 times
It happens. I'm not gay in the least bit although I do have a gay co-workers who's probably the only sane person I work with. We hang out socially among other friends. I'm 6'1, very slim and never wear baggy casual clothing, work attire is always pressed and again form fitting. I just care about how I look. Some guys assume I'm gay but as long as women keep responding to me I won't change a thing.

I think too many guys concern themselves with how other dudes perceive them.

To be fair I can't say that I dress all to common.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 05-08-2012 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships