Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,531,923 times

Advertisements

I used to have one, but I deleted it. I wasn't logging on or updating my page, and my so called FB friends were never even talking to me on it, so I said what is the point of having it? I never had Myspace, and I remember when that was the rage, people thought I was so weird that I didn't have one. Today no one has asked me if I have a FB page, don't know if they don't care, or if they just assume I have one.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,413,775 times
its a waste, theres a few interesting articles on how facebook and today's society is helping lead to lonliness and a society that now takes for granted getting together with people since we just rely on knowing everything about someone by looking at their facebook

Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM

178 posts, read 377,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
its a waste, theres a few interesting articles on how facebook and today's society is helping lead to lonliness and a society that now takes for granted getting together with people since we just rely on knowing everything about someone by looking at their facebook
Yeah, I've heard about those articles, and other articles saying 50-80% of divorces today involves some fb drama. It's just a question of curiosity and I found it odd they made a well-produced youtube video about it like it was something strange.

I have a good friend (older guy) who doesnt own a cell phone and stop using them many years ago. He goes with email and office/home phones only He's an IT guy too. It always gives me a chuckle

Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 PM

19,902 posts, read 20,500,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignutz View Post
Yep, that's the challenge I think, appearing like a loner, friendless, or something like that. That's what value fb has for most guys, it provides an instant confirmation to women that the guy has a social network and glimpse of the type of real friends he has.

I know it won't take me more than a couple of months to re-populate an account with lots of friends ("It's about time! Where u been?"), upload great travle/good times pics, and get back being a social media addict. But life is good without it, I'm not burning hours online, and I do value my privacy for both personal and career purposes.

It wouldn't so much make me wonder if the guy is a friendless loser, but I know how (most) people are, in that they like attention/interaction and can easily use the internet for this purpose.

I would be curious if or where the guy is getting that attention from instead, like maybe he's on a bunch of dating sites, has a video game addiction, or posts on a forum like C-D all the time...lol

Sometimes I hate fb and just want to disappear, but I'm afraid I'll turn into that guy in the video! lol

Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,054,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Sounds like you hang out with some pretty pathetic people then.

Honestly, where do you even meet people like this. All of my friends have facebook and so do I. We post on eachothers walls and whatever but its not like that's all we do. We go out as much as we possibly can.

I feel like most of the facebook haters on here just make things up and throw out hyperboles like they're real.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,776,509 times
I don't have face book and not interested in it at all. I have been sent emails and asked to join by people that I used to know, numerous times. I think it's convenient if you have a larger circle of friends you want to keep in contact with. If you have 1, 2, 3, or no friends -- it seems pretty pointless. Who cares if someone has a facebook or they don't? I don't think that's indicitive of anything about the person one way or the other.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM

102,453 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Who cares about facebook? I'm not on fb either. What a waste of time. There's a good argument in favor of people who don't have fb. It might indicate they have more constructive uses for their time. If you need info about someone, you can do an internet background search on them. That actually can turn up more useful info (like: the person has an alias, multiple current addresses or a criminal history, etc.) than you'd ever find on fb.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-07-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 PM

154 posts, read 156,569 times
I'll be happy when the Facebook craze dies down. It's sad watching adults compete for the attention they didn't get growing up. I mean, it's cool for the teenagers. But it makes adults look kinda desperate to me. I don't know. It's like everyone is super important in their own minds. Zuckerberg makes his money off people's narcissism. But I do see it being useful in marketing a business.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,094,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Guys who have no Facebook are rare find! They have life !!
I have a Facebook account but don't go to it much and all my "friends" I actually KNOW in real life or are a spouse of a person I do know.

Try to friend me all you want, but if I have not met you, and/or have no plans to, sorry, it ain't gonna happen.

Facebook IS a good place to reconnect with old school friends, years ago, Classmates.com was until it seemed they got restrictive with communication unless you were a paying member and the other party had to be a paying member too.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM

31,400 posts, read 22,390,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I used to have one, but I deleted it. I wasn't logging on or updating my page, and my so called FB friends were never even talking to me on it, so I said what is the point of having it? I never had Myspace, and I remember when that was the rage, people thought I was so weird that I didn't have one. Today no one has asked me if I have a FB page, don't know if they don't care, or if they just assume I have one.
Same here. When I see all the drama that goes on and information sharing it makes me glad I haven't reactivated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships