Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,452,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBeachFun View Post
Someone will complain. You will never please everyone. I was not prepared for the pettiness of some of the feedback I received on my house (don't like this wall color, wish the front door was green, etc). My realtor wasn't the greatest help in my sale, but the one thing he told me that I'm happy he did is - there is never any reason to second guess what is in your house as long as it is clean and well done. Others may not agree, but it put my mind at ease. I had a red accent wall in one room that I really didn't want to spend the effort painting over, and this convinced me that a red wall that was expertly painted is better than a beige wall that has a splotchy paint job (which frankly, if you've ever painted over red, that's what you get for the first several coats).

In the end, I received only one negative comment on the wall and it ended up being a non-issue.
I'm with you on the pettiness. Especially from first time homebuyers. In the end, I did what I was willing to do and decided I didn't need to deal with petty buyers. Ironically, some of the things I thought I should do but ran out of steam no one ever commented on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,237,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced View Post
Yes, there is no more desk (from the first pic you can see it is all empty). Birds are all moved, house is all sterilized.

The realtor thinks the 2 sticking points might be the driveway (it is steep, but so are all the driveways in my neighborhood) and the wall colors.
If he (or she) thinks this, he (or she) is probably right - staging is an excellent idea, if not paint the kitchen and be done with it. I once painted a whole 1 bedroom apartment in a weekend by myself and that included going to the store and buying all the supplies on Sat. morning and moving all the furniture etc. The kitchen is NOT a big deal to paint but be sure to prime it first with Kilz2 - don't just use the paint with the primer in it or you'll need 3 coats anyway and there still might be some bleed through.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:12 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,704,794 times
I think it looks nice and most people will redo it anyway so let them not you

Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,315,092 times
I hate those colors. They'd be a bear to paint over. I don't like dark colors on walls; they make those rooms look gloomy.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,852,707 times
I'd pass on a home with dark colored walls (the green) as it takes many coats of pain to cover. PLus, it makes the house look dark. It's just not my thing. It's just hard to look beyond the darkness and see the potential.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:30 AM

1,245 posts, read 924,463 times
I like it. I have purple on my walls and a red ceiling in my living room. I hate that I will have to paint it to probably white for people that are scairt of actual color.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,751,062 times
The house w bought had every room painted a blue or green with a white ceiling .

The realtor sensed I didn't care for it and said she would arrange to get any room repainted Idid not like.

My wife said..........." No need to. I love the colors"

We bought the house.
My wife only got to enjoy it for a year and half before dying from ALS( Thanksgiving morning ) at age 68

I now love the color of the rooms also.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
Sorry for your loss, Teddy.

As to the comment about dark colors being hard to paint over, use a good quality hiding primer for the first coat, then the color you want. Some of the best quality paints (talking $60+ per gal) claim to cover anything.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,231,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I hate those colors. They'd be a bear to paint over.
Tell me about it; I had sports team colors in a basement in a previous house (from a previous owner). It took 4 coats of Behr to cover. Still not one of the better reasons to eliminate a house, unless there's such a huge inventory that you can pick and choose at will.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:35 PM

372 posts, read 576,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I'd pass on a home with dark colored walls (the green) as it takes many coats of pain to cover. PLus, it makes the house look dark.
I agree; it's too dark and claustrophobia-inducing to me. That was my first impression, so I would keep looking unless there was some other BIG thing really compelling me to keep looking at a house with such dark colors: great price, special location, whatever. I don't mind painting, but I do mind too-dark houses.

Maybe these rooms photographed in daylight would look different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate