Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:48 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,019,574 times

Advertisements

I despise dark paint colors in any room. But your's wouldn't put me off from purchasing.

Two colors which are devils to cover: Red and Navy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,677,121 times
Personally I wouldn't change a thing. I never see the paint color as a big deal. What I would do is price the house 3k higher and then if they moan about the colors give them a credit back after closing escrow of 2k to repaint. If they really really cry then you have another K you can "throw" on top. 3k won't make much of a difference in total house asking price
People like to think they are gettin a deal.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 AM

106 posts, read 229,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Personally I wouldn't change a thing. I never see the paint color as a big deal. What I would do is price the house 3k higher and then if they moan about the colors give them a credit back after closing escrow of 2k to repaint. If they really really cry then you have another K you can "throw" on top. 3k won't make much of a difference in total house asking price
LOL I like this thinking.

As one other poster mentioned, the black appliances and solid surface countertops are probably a bigger problem (gasp! No granite or stainless???)

There is no way I am considering putting granite in this kitchen at this point. They can negotiate that too.

13,388 posts, read 6,469,880 times
I would throw up some artwork on the large expanses of green. Its a strong color which some won't like or be able to see beyond........so distract them from it.

35,094 posts, read 51,377,714 times
I would not purchase a home with those colors on the walls but I would not purchase a home with any appliances in it either. I have my own appliances and I cannot stand stainless steel or black appliances.

The walls should be neutral throughout, you won't be living there so the color choice should not be yours.
Eggshell, Antique White, White, Ecru is in my opinion a much better choice but not beige.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would not purchase a home with those colors on the walls but I would not purchase a home with any appliances in it either. I have my own appliances and I cannot stand stainless steel or black appliances.

The walls should be neutral throughout, you won't be living there so the color choice should not be yours.
Eggshell, Antique White, White, Ecru is in my opinion a much better choice but not beige.
Just curious, why would you not just ask a home seller to take the appliances if you did not want them? Appliances being in a home would keep you from buying it? I have never seen a home with no appliances when looking.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM

15,603 posts, read 40,539,112 times
What I would recommend you do as an agent would depend on your local inventory. If it is hot, I wouldn't ask you to paint it. I would stage the kitchen and eating area though to distract from the color and mellow it out a bit though.

If you aren't in a sellers market in your home price/neighborhood segment, I would paint the kitchen. The moroccan spice is easy enough to work with and I would leave that alone.

Marketing is about getting people in the house. The more warm and welcoming that your photos look, the more showings you will get.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:25 PM

896 posts, read 1,145,766 times
I think I remember your house! I think many of us suggested where the desk is now to put in a small couch for a sitting area staging. Are you the person with all the birds, and are moving out and putting the house on the market?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I think I remember your house! I think many of us suggested where the desk is now to put in a small couch for a sitting area staging. Are you the person with all the birds, and are moving out and putting the house on the market?
Yes, there is no more desk (from the first pic you can see it is all empty). Birds are all moved, house is all sterilized.

The realtor thinks the 2 sticking points might be the driveway (it is steep, but so are all the driveways in my neighborhood) and the wall colors.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,202,585 times
When I bought my house, color of the walls was not an issue, however, I looked at a house with pink carpet and bright pink walls. I couldn't get past it and couldn't see the space for what it was. That wasn't my defining reason for not going with that house though.

Without seeing your house with a walk through I don't know if it would be a deciding factor. Do the colors make the rooms seem smaller? Do you get enough light to offset such dark colors? You want the house to appear "roomy" and "open" (IMO). An open floor plan with good lighting/space is more important to me as a home buyer than the color of the walls. If the color seems to make the rooms appear smaller or darker that would be an issue with myself.

I love the kitchen BTW.. not a fan of the dark colors, but it is a very nice kitchen.. which is a deciding factor for me . I love to cook so a kitchen is very important in my book. I can always paint..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate