Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 PM

106 posts, read 229,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
When I bought my house, color of the walls was not an issue, however, I looked at a house with pink carpet and bright pink walls. I couldn't get past it and couldn't see the space for what it was. That wasn't my defining reason for not going with that house though.

Without seeing your house with a walk through I don't know if it would be a deciding factor. Do the colors make the rooms seem smaller? Do you get enough light to offset such dark colors? You want the house to appear "roomy" and "open" (IMO). An open floor plan with good lighting/space is more important to me as a home buyer than the color of the walls. If the color seems to make the rooms appear smaller or darker that would be an issue with myself.

I love the kitchen BTW.. not a fan of the dark colors, but it is a very nice kitchen.. which is a deciding factor for me . I love to cook so a kitchen is very important in my book. I can always paint..
I loved my kitchen too. I had so much area to work in, plus a double pantry and a single pantry and cabinets galore.

We downsized into a smaller home with a tiny kitchen. I realized that I had stored enough food in the pantry to be ready for the zombie apocalypse. LOL. And I have no place to put all the gadgets I was able to store in the old place.

I see a big family living in my house that is going up for sale. It would make me happy for a family to enjoy it. It was a great place to raise my kids.

We are 3 blocks away from a swim club and are offering a membership with reasonable offer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,248,976 times
I couldnt move into a house with walls that color. That would be a negotiating point to me as a buyer, since I would have to have all those walls repainted before I would move in.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:25 PM

27 posts, read 38,248 times
I like the darker green. The other colors are too warm for me. But I'm a person who does not care whatsoever if my home is in "trendy" colors. I am more of a paint it exactly how I like it and if someone else doesn't like it, they don't have to come over sort of person. So I look at home listings knowing that NOBODY is likely to have a color scheme I like, since it's all about the warm colors these days, and I would have to repaint pretty much any home I bought. Wall color is literally the least important thing I look at.

That said, in looking for houses to buy, I look at structure soundless, layout, floors, countertops, bathroom fixtures and kitchen cabinets. If I like those things, I don't give a crap what the wall color is because it is THE easiest thing to change. Wall color would never put me off CONSCIOUSLY, however I have noticed that subconsciously I don't give as much attention to houses with REALLY bad colors, like how it's become very trendy to have bright lime green or retina-shearing bright blue colors. Those houses may be great with different wall colors but it's hard for me to look at them very long when surfing listings. I can look at ugly old-fashioned wallpaper, or warm colors, or plain outdated white and see the potential, but bright neon colors make me want to move right on to the next listing. It is hard to see past their ugliness to the potential of the space.

If I were reviewing a listing of your home with the colors you posted, they wouldn't put me off the house. The kitchen is well-designed and I like the color of the cabinets. I'd probably plunk down granite countertops sooner or later, but otherwise I love the kitchen. Other posters say the black appliances are a problem but for me I am ok with black or stainless. As long as it's not white, beige or that awful avocado green. Same with the walls. I love deep jewel tones such as blood red or sapphire blue, accented with bright white trim or shining mahogany wainscoting. Light colors, especially warm light colors, are very bland and generic to me. Any warm tone makes me feel like it's warm outside and that depresses me. Plain white walls look outdated, like the house has been abandoned since the 1970s.

I believe paint color is less of a big deal to me, because my fiance used to flip houses and he's a dab hand at painting, carpeting, and other cosmetic remodeling jobs. For other buyers who have never painted the interior of a house before and would have to either learn in a hurry or pay someone to do it, it might be a bigger sticking point.

Last edited by klara.odinsdottir; 12-27-2013 at 02:38 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klara.odinsdottir View Post
I like the darker green. The other colors are too warm for me. But I'm a person who does not care whatsoever if my home is in "trendy" colors. I am more of a paint it exactly how I like it and if someone else doesn't like it, they don't have to come over sort of person. So I look at home listings knowing that NOBODY is likely to have a color scheme I like, since it's all about the warm colors these days, and I would have to repaint pretty much any home I bought. Wall color is literally the least important thing I look at.

That said, in looking for houses to buy, I look at structure soundless, layout, floors, countertops, bathroom fixtures and kitchen cabinets. If I like those things, I don't give a crap what the wall color is because it is THE easiest thing to change. Wall color would never put me off CONSCIOUSLY, however I have noticed that subconsciously I don't give as much attention to houses with REALLY bad colors, like how it's become very trendy to have bright lime green or retina-shearing bright blue colors. Those houses may be great with different wall colors but it's hard for me to look at them very long when surfing listings.

If I were reviewing a listing of your home with the colors you posted, they wouldn't put me off the house.
LOL, I made the mistake of letting my teens paint their rooms and the basement area. I ended up with pumpkin orange and school bus yellow in the "rec room", one bedroom that was lime green and navy blue and one that was Caribbean Blue.

Yeah, those got painted eggshell.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klara.odinsdottir View Post
like how it's become very trendy to have bright lime green or retina-shearing bright blue colors.
This was my teens room before painting...
Attached Thumbnails
Best paint color to sell a home?-tsroom.jpg  

Old 12-27-2013, 03:03 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,875,586 times
Wall colors weren't a make or break for us when we were house hunting. I repainted as soon as I got the keys, anyhow! I think the only way it could be a disadvantage, was if there was another house on the market comparable to yours in every way, at the same price, but with more neutral wall colors (such as cream or beige), in which case the buyer may opt for the other house.

Honestly though, I think your house will be absolutely fine. It's not like you have dark blue walls with dark blue carpet in every room or something crazy like that!

Best of luck with your sale

Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,388,478 times
Default Beige walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The walls should be neutral throughout, you won't be living there so the color choice should not be yours.
Eggshell, Antique White, White, Ecru is in my opinion a much better choice but not beige.
OK, I'm curious--why not beige??? It's a harmless neutral.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM

27 posts, read 38,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced View Post
This was my teens room before painting...
OH wow! That is VIBRANT. Yeah that is one that if, while surfing for houses with 13 tabs containing other potential homes open in my browser, if I saw that I would probably just close it. Although, repainted neutral, that gorgeous hardwood floor would jump right out at a buyer! This buyer, anyway!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:51 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
I like the colors. I think you have excellent taste. (your kids don't)

Black appliances are fine. The last house I sold had black. Only 1 negative comment and they complained about everything. Stainless isn't popular with everyone. I think black sets off the cabinets.

Beige looks 1950's.

As you can see from the posts in this thread there is no way to make everybody happy. Your house looks fine.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM

122 posts, read 306,940 times
Someone will complain. You will never please everyone. I was not prepared for the pettiness of some of the feedback I received on my house (don't like this wall color, wish the front door was green, etc). My realtor wasn't the greatest help in my sale, but the one thing he told me that I'm happy he did is - there is never any reason to second guess what is in your house as long as it is clean and well done. Others may not agree, but it put my mind at ease. I had a red accent wall in one room that I really didn't want to spend the effort painting over, and this convinced me that a red wall that was expertly painted is better than a beige wall that has a splotchy paint job (which frankly, if you've ever painted over red, that's what you get for the first several coats).

In the end, I received only one negative comment on the wall and it ended up being a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate