Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:22 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,696,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_0037 View Post
Good website. It even has a myth that I've never heard before:

"Pit Bulls can hold on with their front teeth while chewing with their back teeth."

What sort of silly idea is that? I guess the folks who believe that have never actually seen a pit bull in person before!

Old 04-20-2007, 01:38 PM

64 posts, read 251,593 times
In one year DEER will cause the death of over 100 people.
It took Pit Bulls about 20 years (1979 through 1998) to tally up just 66 deaths.

BAN DEERS!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM

22 posts, read 64,769 times
Ignorance, and an attempt to fix what is a bad owner problem by banning one breed.

Guess what, the bad owners will just get something else and you'll still have the exact same problem.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 PM

32 posts, read 76,782 times
Some animals are just agressive by nature. Pitt bulls naturally run in packs and kill other animals. I personally think that they should be banned in the U.S. so we don't have to worry. however, there are other points of view.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
Some animals are just agressive by nature. Pitt bulls naturally run in packs and kill other animals. I personally think that they should be banned in the U.S. so we don't have to worry. however, there are other points of view.
Did you see the pictures I posted? Did you read the link that Angel_0037 posted?

Or would you rather just show how ignorant your are? Thankfully ignorance can be corrected......pit bulls are no better, no worse then any other dog on the planet.

Should we ban them all?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 PM

64 posts, read 251,593 times
Oh and while we are busy banning dangerous animals, like the deer. We should go ahead and ban horses because while Pit Bulls average just 3 human deaths a year horses average about 219 human deaths a year.

Pit Bulls are a very strong and athletic dog but it is not the most aggressive breed by any stretch. What makes dogs aggressive has FAR more to do with how owners treat their pets than it does the breed. For instance, leaving a dog chained up or in a fenced in yard all the time causes it to become extremely protective and territorial yet frustrated because it is never free to defend its "turf" it has established domain over. Any breed of dog is much more likely to attack humans or other dogs when it is kept in this situation. Think of pit bulls as a an elite athlete. You bring a kid up with all the wrong influences in a bad environment and you get Mike Tyson, a sociopath. You bring the kid up properly with good training and you get Evander Holyfield and Lenox Lewis. Just because a dog or a person has the capacity to cause great harm because of their physique does not mean they are naturally evil.

My wife is a vet and the only breeds she hates to handle are... SPANIELS! No, the "aggressive" breeds of dogs are not a problem and never worry her. The puncture would that went clean through her hand was not some ravenous beast but a cocker spaniel. The scar on the side of two fingers (where she lost a chunk of flesh) was from another spaniel incident.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForks View Post
My wife is a vet and the only breeds she hates to handle are... SPANIELS! No, the "aggressive" breeds of dogs are not a problem and never worry her. The puncture would that went clean through her hand was not some ravenous beast but a cocker spaniel. The scar on the side of two fingers (where she lost a chunk of flesh) was from another spaniel incident.
I have to agree with your wife...American Cocker Spanials are guilty until proven innocent. It's the only dog I've even been bit by with intent.

There is a pack of Cockers that come to Oakwood....I had to root myself and not panic when they showed up. Turns out, they were great, well bred, well cared for dogs....but...as a general rule....I'll deal with a pitt bull any day of the week.

Cockers suffered from some bad breeding in the 60s and 70s.....it's taken a long time for that to be overcome..and may backyard breeding lines haven't managed it yet.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 PM

32 posts, read 76,782 times
Still, pit bulls have been banned in France, Norway, and the UK as well as about 10 counties in the U.S. In some places there are restrictions on who can own a pit bull. Many insurance companies will not insure homes with pit bulls or rottweilers. There must be some reason why these dogs are catagorized as dangerous.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Still, pit bulls have been banned in France, Norway, and the UK as well as about 10 counties in the U.S. In some places there are restrictions on who can own a pit bull. Many insurance companies will not insure homes with pit bulls or rottweilers. There must be some reason why these dogs are catagorized as dangerous.
Sure...some stupid people own these dogs and insurance companies will hit a fly with an atom bomb if it will save them paying off a claim.

There is nothing that makes any whole bred of dog more dangerous then any other. It's that some dangerous people are more drawn to certain dogs looks....let's ban people...not the dogs.

If this was the 1970s you'd be wanting to ban dobermans (that was the hyped up dog then)....and they aren't on any of the EU lists.

Do you remember back in late 2005 when the woman in France underwent the first face transplant after her face was damaged by a dog? That dog was a Labrador. Why aren't you wanting to ban Labradors?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:29 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,262,355 times
Quote:
Keep working that shovel.......

Pits have not been banned in the UK. I just asked coworkers in the UK last Thursday and there are restrictions and some areas require insurance but it is still very legal to own pits and Staffies. One of my coworkers in SW England even owns one, quite legally in fact!

Which insurance companies refuse to sell homeowners based on dog breed? I would like to know so I can avoid them.

Don't simply regurgitate what you read on that intraweb thingy, do some research once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary