Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 08:07 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,361,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapefromNewYork View Post
Rfb that does not look like a typical pit bull. Pit bulls tend to have huge skulls with a prominent line through the front.

That dog looks mixed with lab or beagle.
She was definately a Pit Bull mix. Since she was a stray, we were never quite sure what she was mixed with. A Beagle or some hound seemed likely, especially as she completely lost herself once she put her nose to the ground. But that is one of the problems with lumping any dog with any Pit Bull into the same group - most folks have trouble reliably enough telling one breed from another, much less when they aren't pure bred. When we would meet people while walking our dog or taking her to the park, some folks would quickly ask "is she a Pit Bull". But most would just say "She sure is pretty and sweet. What type of dog is she?".

Old 05-05-2007, 06:16 AM

265 posts, read 1,293,270 times
OMG...vicious Pit Bull!!! The ears are even pinned!! Dangerous, dangerous dog bred for fighting and agression...this VIDEO on youtube is more powerful than words could ever be!!!!!! OMG...must see!!! There are actually several here, of the same horribly vicious dangerous agressive mean nasty Pit Bull--mostly with chicks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2OC5Z1Fii8

Old 05-05-2007, 06:24 AM

Actually, jesting aside...this video truthfully shows all sides of Pits...from the sweet nuzzling babies with human babies to the horrific fighting dogs some are trained to be...if you watch anything, watch this 2 minute video (I just did, and I'm feeling a bit sick):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K27-C-29p0&NR=1

Old 05-05-2007, 08:46 PM

71 posts, read 79,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
I am totally in favor. I wish they were banned in the entire state actually. What do you think?
Breed-specific legislation is just plain wrong. Pit bulls are actually a fantastic breed of dog, but unfortunately have been exploited by deadbeat people. Banning the breed is just stupid as new breeds will pop up all the time. And how do you ban a mutt that happens to be just part pit bull? You can't, effectively!

It's a shame. The American Pit Bull Terrier is a wonderful breed, and very very sweet with humans (and trustworthy with children). The monsters you see the thugs keeping are generally not 100% pure pit bull, and often raised in ways to increase human aggression (which is 100% unnatural to these dogs because they are bred to be completely NON-aggressive to people). So basically you would have to abuse a pit bull into a complete schizo dog to be a good thug's guard dog.

This is just wrong wrong wrong.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:51 PM

71 posts, read 79,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapefromNewYork View Post
No wonder they can bite and not let go and rip people and children to shreds.
*sigh*

Yeah and they have a locking mechanism in their jaw so even if you kill them they will still hang on, right?

There is so much unfounded BS out there about pit bulls, and I'm sorry to see you've bought into it. There was a study I read somewhere online where basically a veterinarian cut open a euthanized pit bull to understand its jaw structure and how it worked. There was nothing interesting there that was different than any other dog. The only thing that makes a pit bull hang on so well is something we admire in people called grit. It's just determination that makes these dogs so incredible.

No pure bred pit bull raised in a normal home would ever grow up to be a child killer. It's not in their nature. A cocker spaniel is FAR more dangerous than any pure bred pit bull raised under similar circumstances (ask vet techs what breeds are most likely to bite in their office, and most that have been doing it long enough to be honest will tell you the cocker spaniels are vicious unpredictable creatures around strange people).

Old 05-05-2007, 09:33 PM

238 posts, read 228,176 times
[

No pure bred pit bull raised in a normal home would ever grow up to be a child killer. It's not in their nature. A cocker spaniel is FAR more dangerous than any pure bred pit bull raised under similar circumstances (ask vet techs what breeds are most likely to bite in their office, and most that have been doing it long enough to be honest will tell you the cocker spaniels are vicious unpredictable creatures around strange people).[/quote]

Sorry but that is just plain wrong. If you looked at the links that Escape posted, there are MANY cases of "loving family dogs" that suddenly snapped one day and mauled a child. If not to death, at least damaging the child's face to the point of needing plastic surgery.

No one ever said their jaws lock. Just that they have VERY powerful jaws.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
If you looked at the links that Escape posted, there are MANY cases of "loving family dogs" that suddenly snapped one day and mauled a child. If not to death, at least damaging the child's face to the point of needing plastic surgery.
People, really...INDIVIDUALS snap (or are unstable to begin with and slip under the radar)...Charles Manson, Hitler, Cho Seung-Hu...are we to BAN MEN? Ban Germans? or Koreans? I don't think so...so why would it even be under discussion to ban a whole breed, short of, because we can???? Interestingly, the heinous attack on the woman who underwent facial reconstructive surgery was the result of a lab, her family pet. SHOULD WE BAN LABS THEN???? Or perhaps, just all dogs in general? But why stop there...I'm certain there are instances of iguanas or cats causing harm to humans...

Again, ban the deed, not the breed.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:02 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,436,237 times
I have to agree with BM on this...its in their blood, they can't help it, anymore than it can be helped if a big hungry polar bear came at you, it would attack you and that would be it, they are no different, you just can't take any kind of animal and tame it, that has been proven repeatly and the stastics on death and injuries speaks volumes here.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 AM

959 posts, read 4,495,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
SHOULD WE BAN LABS THEN???? Or perhaps, just all dogs in general? But why stop there...I'm certain there are instances of iguanas or cats causing harm to humans...
You could say we've banned all dogs from our house. It's all a matter of how much risk you're willing to take, and in our view having a dog in the house is too high of a risk given we have a baby and a toddler. I've been scratched by cats in the past, and a cheetah (but that's another story), but there is no comparison with the amount of damage a house cat can do and a dog. Even a tiny dog can kill a baby by latching onto its throat (it's happened). We will all vary in opinion on what we consider a risk - or not - and make decisions based on how great we think those risks are. Steve Irwin thought it was perfectly safe to feed a crocodile while holding his newborn baby. I took the risk to go into an enclosure alone with (hopefully not hungry) cheetahs raised in captivity. I would NOT take the risk of having a dog in my home with my babies, but obviously tons of people do and would consider my husband and I overly paranoid

Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,436,237 times
I would rather be reguarded as highly paranoid than have my baby attacked, good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary