Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:17 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,229,486 times

Advertisements

I'm trying. When I spoke with him, he was looking mean and after I started speaking he looked to have let down his guard some. I'm just glad that he is leashed, and my neighbors do appear to be good people and I believe that they will be responsible owners. I think I am going to speak to the one young man that I think is the owner. Sounds adult! Some of the dog owners over here in eastern nc need to be kicked into shape, that is why people are fearful of the breed.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 PM

169 posts, read 778,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
And I do try to avoid dogs, but sometimes it's not possible. My inlaws have two large dogs - a mentally unstable boxer, and a lab. But we can't not visit them.

And I would be just as nervous around a poodle or smaller dog. Small breeds have maimed/killed small children and babies.
These are all generalities. I have a chihuahua who is the nicest dog you could ever meet-- much nicer than most humans! Everyone comments on how sweet she is. You should get a sweet dog for yourself and your kids. It will brighten their lives and your dog will protect you and your kids from any other dogs that are trying to be rough.

It seems that you're overestimating the chance that your kids will get bitten by dogs. You might find this interesting:
http://www.freakonomics.com/ch5.php (broken link)

Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,677,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_0037 View Post
Well, dogs can sense when someone is scared. If a dog is aggressive, I read never stare straight into the dogs eyes being they sense it from you. Maybe get to know the dog alone with the owner without your dog with you. Maybe you will feel different afterwards. A friend of mine has a pitbull and he is the friendliest pitbull I have came across and has a miniture dashund also and gets along with the pitbull. The little dog sleeps on top of the pitbull.
Pittsbulls can be very friendly and get along well with other dogs....even smaller ones....the other day at Oakwood my bichon and an older one (my dog is also middle aged, not too interested in keeping up with the younger dogs) were the best of buds, playing and sniffing around the park.

Afterwhile they laid down together and just watched the goings on. Pittbulls are no more prone to aggression then any other dog. It's a matter of how they are bred and even more importantly how they are raised.

A friend of my daughter has a dashund that is so aggressive as to be deranged. They take huge steps to keep this dog away from everyone but family members and the dog they had when got him....but that dog scares me in ways that a well mannered pitbull never, ever would.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 PM

106 posts, read 310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Pittsbulls can be very friendly and get along well with other dogs....even smaller ones....the other day at Oakwood my bichon and an older one (my dog is also middle aged, not too interested in keeping up with the younger dogs) were the best of buds, playing and sniffing around the park.

Afterwhile they laid down together and just watched the goings on. Pittbulls are no more prone to aggression then any other dog. It's a matter of how they are bred and even more importantly how they are raised.

A friend of my daughter has a dashund that is so aggressive as to be deranged. They take huge steps to keep this dog away from everyone but family members and the dog they had when got him....but that dog scares me in ways that a well mannered pitbull never, ever would.
I agree pitbulls are friendly just like most other dogs. Any dog can bite. Not just pitbulls. My friends dashund is friendly as ever. Pure bred. I ran across poodles that were aggressive..lol.Little thing would not let me walk by him..lol. I agree that people can own aggressive dogs but it depends on the owner(s). The old neighbor that had that pitbull that was put down in my old town did not go to any measures to keep her pitbull from getting out and now her dog is gone (which was well deserved being the dog bit 2 chilren & a old man). Then someone gave the same owner of that pitbull another pitbull. She should not be allowed another dog at all imo.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 AM

110 posts, read 332,848 times
A badly inbred Golden Retriever is just as likely to bite and be unpredictable. Breeding practices for all breeds have a lot to answer for...as well as "bad" owners. Here is a fascinating list of statistics: http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog%20Bite%20Statistics/DogBiteStatistics.html (broken link)

I own a German Shepherd Dog and a Chihuahua. I was most interested to read:
"Mixed breeds and not pure bred dogs are the type of dog most often involved in inflicting bites to people. The pure-bred dogs most often involved are German shepherds and Chow chows."

and

"The list of breeds most involved in both bite injuries and fatalities changes from year to year and from one area of the country to another, depending on the popularity of the breed."

And of course there are many more sites with information. http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html
The article on this page is very interesting. It discusses the difference between canine homicides and the dog bite epidemic.

"There have been many news reports about deaths caused by dogs in the USA. The attention given to the homicides has put the spotlight on pit bulls and Rottweilers. There is a very good reason for focusing on these two breeds: in recent years, they have usually been the number one and number two canine killers of humans. ......It therefore is correct to single out those two breeds when talking about canine homicides, because those two breeds lately have caused half or more of the deaths -- a disgraceful statistic whether it is regarded as the fault of the dogs, their breeders, their owners, or all three.

However, the focus on death cases may leave the public with the false impression that pit bulls and Rottweilers are responsible for the dog bite epidemic. It is a much broader problem than that, involving all dogs and all dog owners. While pit bulls and Rottweilers inflict a disproportionate number of serious and even fatal injuries, the dog bite epidemic involves many different breeds, and results from many different causes. A clear distinction needs to be made between canine homicides (i.e., incidents in which dogs kill people) and the dog bite epidemic."

"However, while banning the pit bull might lower the number of human deaths, such a ban would probably not reduce the number dog bites in any significant manner. After the United Kingdom banned pit bulls in the 1990s, a study showed that the number of dog bites remained the same even though the number of pit bulls had steeply declined."

Once you start digging there is so much to think about. I do like the idea of special licenses for owners of statistically dangerous animals. Unfortunately that does nothing to protect us from those that cheat the law. Look at how many people don't spay or neuter, get rabies shots, or license their dogs and cats! These are such easy things to do! If you have volunteered within any animal shelter system you know what the problems are.

Last edited by redhouse; 04-19-2007 at 08:24 AM..

Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,265,432 times
Unfortunately that does nothing to protect us from those that cheat the law. Look at how many people don't spay or neuter, get rabies shots, or license their dogs and cats now! If you have volunteered within any animal shelter system you know what the problems are.

I had two dogs when we moved to Portland. A couple months after we moved into our house a rep from animal welfare knocked on my door to see if my pets had been licensed. We hadn't yet. Apparently, they either check backyards or real estate records when a house transfers.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Unfortunately that does nothing to protect us from those that cheat the law. Look at how many people don't spay or neuter, get rabies shots, or license their dogs and cats now! If you have volunteered within any animal shelter system you know what the problems are.

I had two dogs when we moved to Portland. A couple months after we moved into our house a rep from animal welfare knocked on my door to see if my pets had been licensed. We hadn't yet. Apparently, they either check backyards or real estate records when a house transfers.
You won't find much of that here to be honest. When I tried to get a dog license for our pup I got such the run around. The town of Wake Forest says you do that through Wake County...when I called Wake County they said the individual cities do that....and on and on and on.

There was something in the N&O several years ago, that only something like 10% of dogs in the are have licenses. I am not surprised.d

Old 04-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
You won't find much of that here to be honest. When I tried to get a dog license for our pup I got such the run around. The town of Wake Forest says you do that through Wake County...when I called Wake County they said the individual cities do that....and on and on and on.

There was something in the N&O several years ago, that only something like 10% of dogs in the are have licenses. I am not surprised.d
I'm sad to hear that.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhouse View Post
I'm sad to hear that.
I don't know if it's sad....the ones that are abusing their pets aren't going to get licenses for them anyway. It's a source of revenue and that is about it.

Most of the dogs I see at the dog park have their rabies tags....but few if any have a Wake County license tag.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it's sad....the ones that are abusing their pets aren't going to get licenses for them anyway. It's a source of revenue and that is about it.

Most of the dogs I see at the dog park have their rabies tags....but few if any have a Wake County license tag.
I'm sad that there isn't a good system in place. But we'll deal with it.

Does anyone have pointers to the rules and regulations in Wake County? And a good veterinarian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.