Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:55 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,398,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Yes, it is rather simplistic as the UKC recognizes the aggressive tendencies of American Pit Bull's. The AKC does not even recognoze the breed (why, I don't know).
It is because the AKC classifies the pitt bull as an American Staffordshire Terrier (even though many Am-Staff owners like to distance themselves from pitt bulls).

Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 PM

106 posts, read 311,232 times
There was one huge pitbull I was scared of that use to live by us back in MD. The owner knew it was a biter and yet let the dog loose. The dog ended up biting a child in the face leaving her with scar and another child bit after that and then a dog and the owner of the dog. Finally the dog was put down. I would of put the dog down myself if it was my child the first time(pitbull or not pitbull). But I dont believe all pitbulls are like that. It has alottt to do with the owners. The pitbulls get a bad rap because of so much publicity on them with the fighting and all. But not all are like that or the same. This is just my opinion. I dont care for pitbulls or would not own one but I dont have a problem with them being around as long as owners are responsible people to own a pet.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:36 PM

3,353 posts, read 5,002,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie30 View Post
I think every state should ban pitbulls! They are a menace to society. Regardless of what people say that it's the owners training them to be vicious - that's bull! It's a fact that pit bulls have a gene that other dogs don't have.

Oh come on. Dachsunds were originally meant to be vicious dogs as well. I don't know where you're getting your science on this one. I know some lovely pit bulls and think it's horrible Durham is going to ban an entire breed of dogs.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:43 PM

http://www.realpitbull.com/

Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,232,838 times
In my line of work, I have found from real-life experience that pitbulls, indeed, are frequently aggressive. Oddly enough, so are poodles-they can be mean! However, I've never heard of a poodle mauling anyone to death, while sadly it has happened too often with the pitbulls.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,296,272 times
Don't all terriers, even toys, have back iincisors that lock down once they grab onto something? My neighbors just adopted a pitbull/great dane mix from a no kill shelter.. The dog has already snapped at the bichon next door through the fence causing a row. Now, the fence has to be sheeted. I usually feed their cats, and also the previous dog before he passed away, when they vacationed. I'm only taking care of the cats from now on. LOL.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,263,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Don't all terriers, even toys, have back iincisors that lock down once they grab onto something?
No.

And specifically regarding pits and the Staffs and other bully breeds, the "lock their jaws" statement is a myth. With the pits and Staffs, it is the incredible strength of their jaw muscles that led to this myth.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,263,352 times
Default Extend the ban........

Ban guns, people use them to kill.

Ban cars, people are killed every day in them.

Ban knives, people get stabbed.

Ban power tools, people inflict great harm with them.

Heck, just ban people - then the real, root cause will be addressed!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,251,704 times
My lab/golden is the sweetest little girl I have ever seen. BUT don't ring my door bell, she turns into an agressive little ****!

That being said my neighbors just recently brought home a full grown pitt bull, and I must say that I am more than a little afraid of it, and the fact that none of us have fences here. I'm trying to get over this, and have even talked to the dog (while he is leashed and with owner), but I have THAT fear that cannot go away, that it is a threat to myself and my dog. I wish I didn't feel that way, I love all animals.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM

Well, dogs can sense when someone is scared. If a dog is aggressive, I read never stare straight into the dogs eyes being they sense it from you. Maybe get to know the dog alone with the owner without your dog with you. Maybe you will feel different afterwards. A friend of mine has a pitbull and he is the friendliest pitbull I have came across and has a miniture dashund also and gets along with the pitbull. The little dog sleeps on top of the pitbull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary