Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,075 times

Advertisements

MaimounaKande... To answer your question, but not start an argument.. lol.. We own American Pit Bull Terriers simply because they are our favorite breed. The ones that we have been around and the ones that we own arent like any other dog we have ever seen. They have the most amazing personalities! They are soo human like at times and they seem to have their own sense of humor. They are very smart, loving and tolerant.. not to mention I think they are the cutest dogs... That is awsome that you helped that puppy, I know alot of people wouldnt do that. And I am very sorry that people reacted like that to you and the puppy... but we have never had someone react like that to our dogs. I have seen some people get nervous around them, but that is understandable seeing as how all they hear about pit bulls are horror stories and how alot of pit bull owners (I am not saying all, or even most pit bull owners arent responsible and caring owners, because almost all of pit bull owner I have met have been great but at the same time alot of them arent) seem to not really care how other people feel around their dogs.. but as soon as they see that brooklyn and destiny are not atall like what they hear they fall in love with them. I am sure deep down they are still a little uneasy but I would be to if I they werent my dogs.... The worst reaction we have ever gotten about our dogs was when our neighbors moved in. They have 2 young children and they heard we had pit bulls.. so naturaly they got upset, they were worried about their children being around our dogs. Anyway, to make a long story short, they met the dogs and they love each other. Brooklyn and Destiny love the neighbors and the neighbors love brooklyn and destiny. The dogs are wonderful with DJ and Ariana (the kids) BUT we would never leave them alone together. Anytime the dogs are around children and anytime they are outside they are on a leash... I think its not the breed it the owner. If you are a responsible owner you will do everything you can to make people around you feel safe and comfortable. If you are a responsible owner you dog will not be in a situation where the dog can cause harm to someone of its self. I do understand that some people dont like them.. people fear the unknown. But they arent a bad breed if the are raised right, trained well and kept under control, just like with any breed. So to get back to your question.. like I already said, american pit bull terriers are my favorite breed for alot of reasons and thats why I own 2 of them. I also want to help people see that not all of them are bad by doing everything that a responsible owner should do and by raising and training them to be well behaved dogs... I have never had anyone react any different than they did when I had other breeds but even if they did, I really wouldnt care. Our dogs are like our children and we do everything we can to be good owners for them and for everyone that is around them and if people still want to be that closed minded and that rude to my dogs and I, thats fine. I cant change the way people think but I can be a good owner and a thoughtful person and show people that my dogs arent bad dogs. I would never let the way people react to my dogs enfulence the breed of dog I own. I am the one that has to live with the dog, so I am going to get the breed I want. I will however, always keep my dogs undercontrol and do everything I can to make people feel as safe and comfortable around my dogs as possible.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,075 times
This web site has some good info.. it isnt a web site just for pit bulls or just against pit bulls http://www.fataldogattacks.com/

Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Anyway...here's my question: why would you even want a pit bull? My experience that day with this little puppy (who was really sweet) was that people were freaked out by the dog, even that small. They looked at me like I was crazy for having it, backed away from us, etc. Why would you want a dog where people respond like that?
It's too bad stupidity and ignorance are not painful. Then people might not back away.

We did not go looking for a pit, he found us.

If you read through this thread, the comments of people who own pits or pit mixes, you may realize that for pits and AmStaffs, their existence is based on their people.

Everyone is aware of the consequences of bad owners.

But regarding good owners, what we've come to realize is that these dogs are just completely committed to their people, they just want to be with their people. They are very social creatures and they are superb companions.

Ours is a 50 lb lap dog. He has been fun to be with since day one to today (he's 10.5 yrs old). He was well socialized, with people and dogs, as a puppy, and he relishes interaction & play time with all people and dogs.

Sounds corny, but everyone who's gotten to know him is incredibly impressed with his disposition. Other dog owners leave his presence with a smile. This is not unusual for a dog, but it is for a dog with such a mythic and undeserved reputation.

We are not activists, but over the years we've attempted to break down barriers - whether it was the Orthodox Jewish children in our old neighborhood (none of whom had dogs), strangers on the street, other dogs and their owners, whomever. Most people ID him as a pit mix, then they are shocked at how affectionate and playful he is.

I would get another one without batting an eye. Pits are simply awesome companions.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:38 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,670,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
It's too bad stupidity and ignorance are not painful. Then people might not back away.

We did not go looking for a pit, he found us.

If you read through this thread, the comments of people who own pits or pit mixes, you may realize that for pits and AmStaffs, their existence is based on their people.

Everyone is aware of the consequences of bad owners.

But regarding good owners, what we've come to realize is that these dogs are just completely committed to their people, they just want to be with their people. They are very social creatures and they are superb companions.

Ours is a 50 lb lap dog. He has been fun to be with since day one to today (he's 10.5 yrs old). He was well socialized, with people and dogs, as a puppy, and he relishes interaction & play time with all people and dogs.

Sounds corny, but everyone who's gotten to know him is incredibly impressed with his disposition. Other dog owners leave his presence with a smile. This is not unusual for a dog, but it is for a dog with such a mythic and undeserved reputation.

We are not activists, but over the years we've attempted to break down barriers - whether it was the Orthodox Jewish children in our old neighborhood (none of whom had dogs), strangers on the street, other dogs and their owners, whomever. Most people ID him as a pit mix, then they are shocked at how affectionate and playful he is.

I would get another one without batting an eye. Pits are simply awesome companions.
Wonderful post! If we ever add a second dog to our household, I will look very closely at pitbulls and rescue pit mixes. (For one, I know that my dog gets along well with the temperment.)

You are so right when you say that you leave these dogs with a smile on your face.....and probably a few sloppy kisses as well.

I wish people would get over the myths of this breed and the stupid behavior of bad owners.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:39 PM

238 posts, read 228,056 times
WHOAH! You would WILLINGLY choose a rescue pit bull? One that may have been abused? And there are children in your household? That is frightening to me, and to many people.

I'm SURE there are nice pit bulls out there. It doesn't matter, because the nice ones have also suddenly turned on children and killed them.

I agree with the person who said that to legally own a pit bull perhaps there should be special licensing. Anyone who has a criminal record, even a single conviction, should be banned from owning a pit bull.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,670,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
WHOAH! You would WILLINGLY choose a rescue pit bull? One that may have been abused? And there are children in your household? That is frightening to me, and to many people.

I'm SURE there are nice pit bulls out there. It doesn't matter, because the nice ones have also suddenly turned on children and killed them.

I agree with the person who said that to legally own a pit bull perhaps there should be special licensing. Anyone who has a criminal record, even a single conviction, should be banned from owning a pit bull.
Yes, I would. I know plenty of rescue pits that are great dogs. I see them daily at the dog parks in the area. They play with my small dog, they run around with my daughter when she's with me.

I would make sure the dog is temperment tested, have a trail run and get to know the dog in a variety of social settings. I would do that with ANY breed of rescue.

You make your rules for your family and I'll make them for mine. Mine don't include having a knee-jerk negative reaction to any breed based on myths....I deal with the indivdual dog.

And no, no dog suddenly has a break with reality and kills kids. There are tons of warning signs, behavioral issues and other 'red flags' that owners ignore or just don't know enough about dogs to catch....no matter the breed.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:16 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,427 times
Default Invisible fences

I actually have recently purchased one of these fences. But its not so much for any person's protection, rather its so our little guy won't run away. We also don't plan to have him outside without us. We (me, dh and our kids) are outside alot and we like having Buster with us but unless he's on a leash of sorts, he might take off into the woods, etc.

If it becomes obvious that the fence doesn't work (something we'd see because we are present dog owners), then we'd come up with another solution (fence in the back yard or something).

Just my take on the invisible fences. So while I'm not thrilled with them used for several pit bulls that have mauled each other, for helping to contain dogs, I don't have issue with.

Lauren

Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM

34 posts, read 33,511 times
Lauren,

Are you the mom with 4 pit bulls in your neighborhood? I would be very scared if all they have holding them in is an invisible fence. They do withstand pain to the point that they have been beaten with batons to get them to let go of people they've attacked and they do not let go.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,302 times
I'm a letter carrier and I consider an invisible fence to be just that, invisible. I consider a dog out in a yard with an 'invisible' fence to be loose and respond accordingly.

I've also seen a dog (a funny little dauchaund) figure out exactly where a little 'break' in the current was, and leave through it.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:49 PM

959 posts, read 4,494,091 times
So if I walk my children away from a dog, particularly a breed with a very strong jaw full of sharp teeth, I'm stupid and ignorant?

What I find hard to understand is how quickly dog owners dismiss those with dogs who bite as "bad" owners. I believe many of them when they say they never saw signs of aggression in their dogs.

I mentioned the leashed pitbull that lunged at my 2yo one day and from then on barked at my children. If that were your pitbull would you consider that the first sign of aggression? If so, what would you do about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary