Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
One thing that I take solice in is that these dogs (the 2 pits and 2 labs) haven't gotten out of their invisible fence.
Oh, also.. I know alot of people dont beleive this and dont trust "pit bulls".. But they really are people freindly (unless they are trained to be mean) and they LOVE children! Brooklyn will bark, growl and just go crazy when my neighbors children are outside (the kids are 2 and 4).. he wont stop untill he is close enough to the kids for them to pet him and for him to kiss them! lol.. Of course we never let him out without a leash so he is under control.. but brookly, destiny and every other "pit bull" I have been around will make alot of noise (it sounds pretty mean) if they see kids and they cant get to them to play..But I havent seen these dogs. I dont know if they are trained to be mean, if they are properly socalized or if they like other adults or children... so idk if they are being mean or not. But I just wanted to tell you that for the most part "pit bulls" really do love kids.. lol

Old 05-10-2007, 04:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,762 times
Pitbullmommie, if you're going to do flyers in mailboxes, you need to mail them-it's illegal to just put them in boxes. Not being mean, just saying.

Besides, you might get bit by a dog while delivering them : )

Old 05-10-2007, 07:01 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,890 times
I didnt know that, I have always seen all these people going around putting flyers for law care and stuff like that in peoples mail boxs.. lol.. I just didnt think anything of it! Thats good to know! I guess I will just go door to door!... Thanks for your post!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:32 PM

34 posts, read 33,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Thanks for your clarification, PitBullMommie. I do realize I have to speak to the pit bull owners. sigh. I am uncomfortable doing so but if nothing else for my own sanity level, I am working on what to say to not offend. These are my neighbors and will be my neighbors most likely for the next 20 years, I'd like it to be a pleasant exchange.

And I'm a bit gunshy as well (OT rant here) as some nut in the neighborhood decided to take issue against me because I headed a group of moms to welcome new residents with baked goods, a local tip sheet (since so many are out of towners) and started an online community discussion list. Don't ask, some people will just never be happy.

Anyhow, yesterday morning while waiting for the school bus with my kids I could hear the pit bulls visciously growling at each other. You know the sound? That scary sound that makes you think some poor thing is getting hurt. Grrrr.

One thing that I take solice in is that these dogs (the 2 pits and 2 labs) haven't gotten out of their invisible fence.

I think I'll just tell the owners that their dogs scare me a bit and see how the conversation goes from there.

Lauren
If I were you, I'd carry very powerful pepper spray whenever you hear those dogs fighting or if you think there's a chance they can get loose. Is your yard fenced? Also would do the suggested thing by Pitbullmommie and put flyers in every single mailbox or folded and tucked into every door in order to raise awareness of the issue.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:43 PM

23 posts, read 135,242 times
I think everyone should be educated on pitbulls. They are really friendly dogs, i used to have one and she may have looked mean but she would lick you to death before she would bite you. we gave her to my boyfriends father and she roams free outside and has never bit anything or anyone. To think that a certain breed should be banned because of some jerks who raise their pitbulls to be aggressive and fight and of course end up hurting someone, it is those people that should be banned. People should think about what those dogs go through. People cause proplems in dogs, they get their temperment from their owners and it would be ashame if they banned these animals.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
Pitbullmommie...i Have Been Carrying On A Pretty Intense Debate With Someone Who Contends That Pitbulls Are More Dangerous Than Other Dogs. Anyway, Most Of The Points You've Made I Have Already Known. Id Love To Talk

Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 PM

59 posts, read 248,732 times
Owners do have a responsibilty to train their dogs. Having said that, ALL dogs have a natural instinct. A Lab does not need to be trained to swim and hunt for birds. A German Shepard's instinct is to protect. No training needed there either. A Pit Bull is an aggressive fighter. Trained or not they live to fight. I had an employee that raised Pits and also fought them. He had a litter and at 3 days old he had to remove a male because he was attacking His siblings. Unfourtunately that is their instinct. They need to be banned. There is a town in Chicagoland that has a special tag. It is for Rotts,Pits, Dobs and Chow. It is a permit that cost $250 per year. If the dog is out without the tag. The fine is $1500. Needless to say There are not to many of those breeds in town.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch66 View Post
I had an employee that raised Pits and also fought them. He had a litter and at 3 days old he had to remove a male because he was attacking His siblings. Unfourtunately that is their instinct. They need to be banned.
You do realize that raising dogs of any type in order to fight them is illegal in the US? If your employee was breeding these dogs to fight, he or she was committing a crime. And puppies of any breed are aggressive in their play, this is how they socialize themselves and learn. They bite and play rough, and when they hurt each other, this is how they learn their limits. Your employee probably separated the aggressive puppy out because he saw a prize fighter - by taking him away from his siblings at such a young age, the dog will not become socialized to other dogs.

I just saw this article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19028969/site/newsweek/ - broken link) yesterday about dog fighting, which has recently come into the spotlight since Michael Vick was caught somehow involved in it. People who raise animals to fight are breaking the law. These dogs are not properly socialized, and therefore it has less to do with instinct and everything to do with "conditioning" facilitated by the handlers who make money by fighting these animals. They can and will condition and fight most any breed, because all dogs are animals and will fight if put in the position to do so - as will most humans faced with a fight or be killed situation. Read the article to see what kind of person it takes to raise fighting dogs - not your average Joe by any stretch.

Any dog can be agressive, people need to be more responsible and more educated. Banning one breed is not going to solve the problem. It's like saying that because SUV's are more likely to kill pedestrians and people in smaller cars if they hit them, then we should ban SUV's. If a responsible driver is behind the wheel who knows how to handle his/her vehicle, the likelihood of this happening is much lower. Same goes with animals, but no one wants to take the blame and dogs can't talk back. The blame needs to be placed squarely where it belongs, on the owners of dogs who refuse to control them properly.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:34 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch66 View Post
Owners do have a responsibilty to train their dogs. Having said that, ALL dogs have a natural instinct. A Lab does not need to be trained to swim and hunt for birds. A German Shepard's instinct is to protect. No training needed there either. A Pit Bull is an aggressive fighter. Trained or not they live to fight. I had an employee that raised Pits and also fought them. He had a litter and at 3 days old he had to remove a male because he was attacking His siblings. Unfourtunately that is their instinct. They need to be banned. There is a town in Chicagoland that has a special tag. It is for Rotts,Pits, Dobs and Chow. It is a permit that cost $250 per year. If the dog is out without the tag. The fine is $1500. Needless to say There are not to many of those breeds in town.
I hope you reported your 'friend' for breaking several state and federal laws. Chances are you probably didn't though. Aiding and abetting what is probably a felony.

And in liter that are breed for aggressivness, rather them temperment you are going to get very aggressive dogs.

Again.....stupid owners doing illegal things. What do you expect? I say we ban the humans.

The decent owner isn't going run across this sort of thing.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times
Default u all are crazy and don't know what u are talkin about

I don't live in the trangle but I do own a pit bull and have had bulldogs since I was a child, My dog now is 8 months and would not harm a fly unless u crossed him. not all pit bulls are mean I will say some people make there dogs mean evan a ankle bitter will hurt someone I mean u can make a poodle mean, so give pits a break if u don't know what u are sayin then just don't because the dogs u all are fightin about is the first dog that was bread here in america and saved our country in wwII read the facts firt people......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary