Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,792,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Are people in Cary honestly that bored that they sit around all day waiting to get offended?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 PM

4,267 posts, read 11,452,762 times
I mentioned in my post that I truly thought the Cary story was funny - and I still do. I wasn't in the least offended. Additionally, I never said I was FROM Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, I said I lived there; and I did for 2 years. Relocated for DHs job. I loved Kingston! That's why I equated it to Cary (lovely suburbs, great for families) since I enjoy living here as well. I didn't like Wilkes-Barre much, save for very few areas. For the most part I found it very dirty. I disliked Scranton intensely, but again, that is only my opinion just as you have yours of Cary. It's funny how we get our hackles up when someone disses where we live.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM

43,477 posts, read 77,457,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Very funny. I have yet to speak to one person who doesn't think Kingston is an absolutely gorgeous community, especially in Spring.
But, you work on a different calendar in the Wyoming Valley, with
"Spring" being that fleeting moment between Arbor Day and Independence Day, followed by 4 weeks of Summer.

Those leafless tree photos were taken on Memorial Day, right?

Now, Cary shows greenery for more than a three-day weekend:

And while Kingstonians can pop over to witness the hustle and bustle of that mighty marketplace, Wilkes Barre, Caryites have to settle for nearby Raleigh, or Durham, or Chapel Hill, or... Cary.

And while Kingston has controlled growth via an innovative mix of harsh climate and lack of economic oppportunity, Cary has suffered growth due to a plentitude of opportunities and a painfully enjoyable climate.
Population growth, 2000-2006:
Kingston -5.2%
Cary +18.9%, adding more than the total population of Kingston, PA

Kingstonians can pop over the mountain to Hazleton or Shenandoah or Centralia for a weekend getaway, while miserable Caryites may have to settle for the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Beauty ain't everything, you know:

We have Lizard Lick.
Kingstonians can claim Shickshinny as one of their own.
We have Bear Creek.
Kingstonians can pop up to Tunkhannock.

Caryites have summer's heat.
Kingstonians warm themselves over convenient nearby underground anthracite fires!

Been there, have the T-Shirt, loved it and don't miss it.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM

4,267 posts, read 11,452,762 times
Mike J - can't give ya reps but I can say - MUAH! You're the bestest!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,983,598 times
Mike - I don't even know what half of that meant, but that was hilarious too!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,682,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But, you work on a different calendar in the Wyoming Valley, with
"Spring" being that fleeting moment between Arbor Day and Independence Day, followed by 4 weeks of Summer.

Those leafless tree photos were taken on Memorial Day, right?

Now, Cary shows greenery for more than a three-day weekend:

And while Kingstonians can pop over to witness the hustle and bustle of that mighty marketplace, Wilkes Barre, Caryites have to settle for nearby Raleigh, or Durham, or Chapel Hill, or... Cary.

And while Kingston has controlled growth via an innovative mix of harsh climate and lack of economic oppportunity, Cary has suffered growth due to a plentitude of opportunities and a painfully enjoyable climate.
Population growth, 2000-2006:
Kingston -5.2%
Cary +18.9%, adding more than the total population of Kingston, PA

Kingstonians can pop over the mountain to Hazleton or Shenandoah or Centralia for a weekend getaway, while miserable Caryites may have to settle for the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Beauty ain't everything, you know:

We have Lizard Lick.
Kingstonians can claim Shickshinny as one of their own.
We have Bear Creek.
Kingstonians can pop up to Tunkhannock.

Caryites have summer's heat.
Kingstonians warm themselves over convenient nearby underground anthracite fires!

Been there, have the T-Shirt, loved it and don't miss it.
Most of Cary isn't even an actual place. Most of Cary is just clear cut forest with cookie cutter subdivisions scattered around tan shopping centers. Let's be real here. Lazy and arrogant planning at it's finest... Mediocrity in my opinion... However that has become the way of society in the past 20-30 years... Mediocrity...

Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 PM

43,477 posts, read 77,457,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Most of Cary isn't even an actual place. Most of Cary is just clear cut forest with cookie cutter subdivisions scattered around tan shopping centers. Let's be real here. Lazy and arrogant planning at it's finest... Mediocrity in my opinion... However that has become the way of society in the past 20-30 years... Mediocrity...

Keep your chin up.
I hope tomorrow goes better for you.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,682,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Keep your chin up.
I hope tomorrow goes better for you.
I hope so too...

Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 PM

551 posts, read 577,291 times
Quote:

No, you have it confused. Cary is Disneyworld, full of color and trees and 100% happy & wealthy people.

Raleigh is all criminals, crack houses, gangs, poverty stricken, all white vinyl homes, no restaurants, no shopping, no jobs and no hope. Hey, this is easy. It's fun making things up.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 PM

551 posts, read 577,291 times
Quote:
Now you're being condescending... Open your eyes.

I do open my eyes. And when I walk around Cary, I see most areas filled with trees so thick that it's hard to find where you are going sometimes. I see multi color homes in many styles. I see tons of sidewalks, bike trails, greenways, parks. I see perfectly landscaped yards and roadways. I see the most beautiful town I have ever seen. I see the overwhelming majority of the town this way. I don't see the majority of any other town this way, only parts of some.

What I also see is that when people cut up Raleigh, you get really upset. But guess who is leading the bad wagon on insulting Cary and its people? I still can't figure out why it bothers some people that the residents of Cary love their town and enjoy living here. I hope the people of Durham love their city and the people of Raleigh love theirs too. I don't have any issue with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary