Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM

72 posts, read 144,360 times

Advertisements

So we were starting to make our plans to relocate, narrowing down neighborhoods, etc. Then I started to read some posts about problems with snakes and poisonous spiders (black widows and brown recluse). I have a serious phobia of spiders and I am not a big fan of snakes either. If they are all out if the wild, woods, parks, etc. that is fine. But I read multiple posts that referenced finding snakes in homes, toilets, sinks, vents, etc. And black widow nests in garages. Some of the stories make it sound like a 3rd world country! It also seems that they hang out in yards. It just concerns me with 2 small children and little dog. I feel like they couldn't even play in the yard without fear of what could happen if they came across one of these nasty things. Can anyone give me the straight story on the snakes and spiders in the Raleigh area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,827,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofsnowychi View Post
So we were starting to make our plans to relocate, narrowing down neighborhoods, etc. Then I started to read some posts about problems with snakes and poisonous spiders (black widows and brown recluse). I have a serious phobia of spiders and I am not a big fan of snakes either. If they are all out if the wild, woods, parks, etc. that is fine. But I read multiple posts that referenced finding snakes in homes, toilets, sinks, vents, etc. And black widow nests in garages. Some of the stories make it sound like a 3rd world country! It also seems that they hang out in yards. It just concerns me with 2 small children and little dog. I feel like they couldn't even play in the yard without fear of what could happen if they came across one of these nasty things. Can anyone give me the straight story on the snakes and spiders in the Raleigh area.
It's not really 3rd world, it's just not an area devoid of green. As a result, we have critters. They have mountain lions/scorpions/rattlers out west...we have copperheads and spiders. I've lived here for 27 years. I've seen copperheads on trails near waterways at parks, but have never been bitten. There are tinier snakes that eat worms/bugs/frogs etc, but they are harmless. I've never seen a black widow or brown recluse. It's all about being smart and watching out for signs. You'll be just fine. If there were a problem it would be all over the news up in Chi-town.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM

476 posts, read 1,677,446 times
WOW - I am ready to move - LOL! I think you are reading some extreme descriptions, it is not like that at all.

I have seen a couple of black widows, but they are shy and like to stay in areas that are not disturbed. Keep your garage and patio clean and you'll likely not see them in your main areas. Have never seen a recluse.

I have seen a couple of snakes and only in very natural areas (edge of woods, etc) all harmless species. I am with you - I don't like a snake whether venomous or not, but they are not slithering all over like an Indiana Jones movie. I've never seen one in our yard.

I don't even think of either of those things when I am out gardening.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
I read all these stories on the internet too, and as a native, I don't even give it a second thought. I've never seen or encountered a poisonous snake here (but I have in the SE part of the state) and have seen a black widow once in my 40 years in the triangle. My kids have been playing in triangle yards all day in spring and summer for decades, as have I! These animals are all very timid and to bite a human is rare, although dogs do get bitten every once in a while. You an your kids will be perfectly fine. Don't mess with wood piles, wear gloves when gardening, doing yard work or reaching around dark cool places and wear shoes when outside.

I strongly suspect that a significant number of supposed poisonous snake encounters are incorrect anyway. Either that, or they love to torture people from "up north".

Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,580 times
I have seen the tiny snakes in my compost pile, hanging around on my rosemary, and on our sidewalk (usually dead), have seen some sort of patterned snake, not sure whether it was venomous or not, and have seen plenty of black widows - outdoors and in my garage. Never in my home. The freakin critters here are nasty, and you will need to choose - either deal with them or hire an exterminator. Indoors and out. I'm surprised, with little kids, that you didn't mention fire ants. They are more of a nuisance than the other things. I'm from up north, and would not ever think about moving back despite the animal population!!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:12 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,845,038 times
You will rarely see a copperhead unless you live in the country or spend a lot of time in the woods, and even then it will be very infrequent. You will have a black window or two hanging out in your crawlspace (under the house), wood piles, occasionally garage but they are really not an issue. I spend every day around them as a home inspector and have never once been bitten. They are near blind, almost exclusively stay in their web, and bolt at the first sign of trouble. Brown recluse population here is almost non-existent (coverage maps show their boundaries ending in our mountains). Snakes and spiders do not want anything to do with us so do not sweat it.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:58 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,623 times
I grew up in a rural area north of Raleigh, and I never saw a copperhead in my life until I encountered one on the Black Creek Greenway in Cary a couple of years back. I've seen them there and at Bond Park a couple of times, but still never in my own yard. If you make noise they will go away; they are shy. The vast majority of bites are when people try to move them -- don't do that. Copperhead Snakes

We had black snakes, but you want to encourage them if you can ignore them. They eat other vermin and aren't poisonous.

I've never seen a black widow, though my sister found one in a shoe she left outside once. That's one encounter in my extended family who mostly still all live in NC. I don't even know anyone who has ever seen a brown recluse.

Worry about ticks. Check your kids for them every day except in the coolest months of winter. Ticks and Tick-Borne Diseases

Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,757 times
Illinois is a third world country too then...most of the same species you fear, live there too. I don't think you'd have much to worry about, unless you just toss the kids in the yard without supervision, which from your post, does NOT seem likely!

You might want to stay away from a home that backs up to a wooded area, or a stream/pond. You'll find water snakes near just about any pond or lake, and they can be agressive, but are not poisonous. It freaks you out when a snake bites you...even if you know it's "just a flesh wound".

Fire ants...another story. You have to be more careful with those. They're a bit harder to see if they're away from their mound. You usually feel them before you see them. You can control them, but it's a bit of a never ending battle.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Worry about ticks. Check your kids for them every day except in the coolest months of winter. Ticks and Tick-Borne Diseases
Yes. I agree. There isn't a summer that goes by that I do not have to remove 1 or 2 from myself, and another 4-6 from other family members. Just removed one from the back of my wife's knee yesterday. First one this season.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,941,187 times
Had black widow in my garage last year (new home) and put an end to it. Better living through chemistry. As for snakes, saw a very large copperhead last weekend at the golf course. Other than that, it's not that big of a deal. Just don't try to befriend either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary