Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Exactly. And if in simply trying to get her away using those tactics, she had fallen to the ground and even been injured or whatever, I would be 100% on the side of the officer and too bad so sad for the girl. But the minute he picked her up he had absolute physical control over her and he didn't need to slam her down. Does the guy need to go to jail over it? IMO no. But he probably needs more training and or be in a different job where remaining cool and collected is not as important.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 12:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yeah girl fights, no problem, no escalation just some tea and cookies disagreement.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=school...+fight&PC=DCTE

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=girl+fights

It is a whole culture to be taped and encouraged on and often joined to make it worse.
Ok..So all these girls in the videos need to be body slammed to be stopped? I just watched dozens of these videos and it appears that in the vast majority of these fights, the girls were able to be separated by one or two people at the most. It should not require body slamming someone that is clearly 90-100 lbs lighter than you.

Since you'd like to bring video in, I'll give you an example of perfectly fine move the officer could have made without any issues and this becoming a national story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqQIbD8GiVA

As you see, the girl was physically attacking the teacher, yet the teacher was somehow able to use defensive moves (including a basic judo throw) to take the child to the ground without resorting to body slamming her. If this teacher can do that, an officer trained in physical combat can do the same.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Ok..So all these girls in the videos need to be body slammed to be stopped? I just watched dozens of these videos and it appears that in the vast majority of these fights, the girls were able to be separated by one or two people at the most. It should not require body slamming someone that is clearly 90-100 lbs lighter than you.

Since you'd like to bring video in, I'll give you an example of perfectly fine move the officer could have made without any issues and this becoming a national story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqQIbD8GiVA

As you see, the girl was physically attacking the teacher, yet the teacher was somehow able to use defensive moves (including a basic judo throw) to take the child to the ground without resorting to body slamming her. If this teacher can do that, an officer trained in physical combat can do the same.
Sure and when you interfere with a law enforcement officer you do so at your own risk. I am not defending the officer as I don't know the school or most importantly the kids involved and their history. I have never taken a girl down breaking up a fight and I have seen officers do it. Educators and police are different in both make up, training and job description.

Part of establishing protocol between the school and the SRO is establishing when the officer becomes involved. When you ask them to you are creating a situation where the incident has become one of law enforcement. When you have six trespassers in your building who are from another school or out of school and they are looking for someone they have a grudge with my guess is that the overwhelming number of administrators will defer to the police.

If a school system doesn't want a law enforcement profile present then they can hire their own school safety staff and train they accordingly.

Note you did say the teacher took the girl down just did it with a judo throw.

What I find interesting in your video is that the teacher took several punches from the girl which leaves me to assume you feel it is ok for school staff to take punches in order to be gentle to the assaulting student. Fine but that is not the attitude that builds award winning academic staffs. Police will make it very clear they are not punching bags and I said from the very beginning they are trained for self preservation.

It is the amount of student disruption and the tolerance of that often dictates which schools have highly qualified and high performing staffs and others are failing or barely staying afloat. Hmmmmm could the civility level of the student body have anything to do with that?

As parents and community you have to decide for YOUR schools and others will decide for THEIRS.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/NC/s...76/school.aspx

Any realtors out there who want to comment the impact of school academic perceptions along with safety for both student and staff has on home equity values? Again your choice, others are making theirs here, their and elsewhere. I might suggest that your linked video and the assault on the teacher ( yes she slugged him several times) isn't a great teacher recruitment video for that school. You do consider that assault with serious discipline consequences for the student don't you?

Another thought reviewing your video leaves me with a serious question. Isn't what you called a judo hold around the neck of the girl awfully similar to what BLM matters and other policing advocates called a choke hold in the Eric Garner case in NY? He died in that one. I only mention all of this because it seems at times that whatever law enforcement does is wrong in the mind of someone.

Last edited by TuborgP; 01-06-2017 at 04:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 05:08 PM

555 posts, read 500,347 times
I strongly suspect that if, in the potential scenario of there being no officer in the school (or any of the schools in Wake county), and fights like this broke out regularly - and eventually, as a result, a chair went flying and smacked a student not involved in the fight (especially if he/she were from a well-off family ) and caused a concussion or some sort of seriously bodily damage, there would be parents screeching and crying and demanding that an officer get in that school immediately to get things under control. Oh, wait, that probably happened ages ago THUS why we have officers in many of the schools now. So an officer tries to do his job, may or may not do it perfectly, and he gets criticized as not being competent. Because a kid got hurt while engaged in a fight. Waa, waaa, waa.

Meanwhile, there are many students from not-so-well-off families who are trying to go to school in some areas and keep their head down and get through their studies, while attending school in environments that have regular fights that could put them in danger, and there is no predictably present LEO to protect them. No one has screamed and cried loud enough for it... or the district can't afford it. But hey, they are probably better off, right?? At least they don't have to deal with the possibility of witnessing someone in a fight get a concussion from an officer!! They might see one of the kids in the fight cause a concussion, or worse, but at least they'd be spared that trauma!

Seriously. The whining related to this whole thing sounds like some sort of twisted first world problem gone mad.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,542,507 times
and, another problem at a nearby high school, with two off to jail:

Wake Forest High School students charged with having gun at school | News & Observer

Old 01-06-2017, 07:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Very unnecessary.

The girl looked like she barely weighed 100 lbs

Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I strongly suspect that if, in the potential scenario of there being no officer in the school (or any of the schools in Wake county), and fights like this broke out regularly - and eventually, as a result, a chair went flying and smacked a student not involved in the fight (especially if he/she were from a well-off family ) and caused a concussion or some sort of seriously bodily damage, there would be parents screeching and crying and demanding that an officer get in that school immediately to get things under control. Oh, wait, that probably happened ages ago THUS why we have officers in many of the schools now. So an officer tries to do his job, may or may not do it perfectly, and he gets criticized as not being competent. Because a kid got hurt while engaged in a fight. Waa, waaa, waa.

Meanwhile, there are many students from not-so-well-off families who are trying to go to school in some areas and keep their head down and get through their studies, while attending school in environments that have regular fights that could put them in danger, and there is no predictably present LEO to protect them. No one has screamed and cried loud enough for it... or the district can't afford it. But hey, they are probably better off, right?? At least they don't have to deal with the possibility of witnessing someone in a fight get a concussion from an officer!! They might see one of the kids in the fight cause a concussion, or worse, but at least they'd be spared that trauma!

Seriously. The whining related to this whole thing sounds like some sort of twisted first world problem gone mad.
You are so on target in perspective and history. I don't agree with your emotions however. It is a reality and one of the underpinnings of the school choice movement to help parents and kids escape. It will be more of a topic with the new education secretary and president in charge.

I don't want to get off target but Raleigh Lass may remember some of my comments back during the busing controversy in Wake County a couple of years ago. Your thoughts Blessed Life were a key part of the community blowback against bussing.

The education concept of a few years ago when school discipline started heading south was for a safe and orderly environment. With young people becoming even more challenging and issues like this raising the issue of who is it suppose to be safe and orderly for? Those who conform or those who don't and need to be interacted with. That varies with families and communities so perhaps if you aren't a match with your school or community, school choice is a viable escape pod.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Very unnecessary.

The girl looked like she barely weighed 100 lbs
Did you see the video of the fight? Those weren't big girls and they delivered far more blows and risk of serious injury to each other before it was broke up. As I said girls out of control and it would appear that by the time the officer in question did his thing the fight had reached that dangerous level.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...124374029.html

How much outrage about the beat down they were trying on each other? Hmmmm? Any words to describe them?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,853 times
These officers are in a no win situation.
I have zero compassion for the kid. I'm sure it wasn't her first rodeo and won't be her last.
These fights, particularly with girls, happen all the time in Wake High schools.
Instead, why not come down hard on the kids who decide beating the snot out of each other is a good idea?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:38 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
They definitely should come down hard on kids who fight. But there is a win situation available for the officer. Keep your cool like a professionally trained lawman and use approved tactics and superior strength to eliminate the threat and stop short of throwing someone down to the ground after you've done so. Then you're all good, even if something collateral happens to the people involved.

Most people, when they break the rules and go against training at their job, risk getting disciplined. Why should police be any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary