Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

I don't care what she was doing. She was not armed. He doesn't know how to do his job if he has to resort to that kind of force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 08:40 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't care what she was doing. She was not armed. He doesn't know how to do his job if he has to resort to that kind of force.
You do realize that he didn't shoot or taser her, right? And despite your earlier assertion that she was trying to break up the fight, the only related note on that I read was that she was trying to pull one of the fighters off her sister, the other person fighting.

If you've ever broken up a fight you know that when someone has escalated things to the point where they are physical they tend to have lost control of rational thought. What appears in a video to be excessive force may have been a technique employed to physically disable someone who was resisting an attempt to be restrained. He didn't club her over the head with a baton or hit her, and clearly what he did do worked to get her to disengage.

And that extended video only serves to establish that it was a pure melee and people in positions of authority were struggling to bring things under control. I'm still not sure the officer overreacted.

Oh, and when you state that "He doesn't know how to do his job", may I assume you've been trained to be a police officer? If so, I'll defer to your opinion. If not, that's a bit presumptuous and unfair.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
What appears in a video to be excessive force may have been a technique employed to physically disable someone who was resisting an attempt to be restrained. He didn't club her over the head with a baton or hit her, and clearly what he did do worked to get her to disengage.
After watching the videos, I believe the force was excessive. IMO, this situation was very close to tragedy . If her arm had moved an inch or two lower before she landed, she definitely would have hit her head on the hard concrete floor. She easily could be in the hospital with a concussion or something much worse. Picking a person up and slamming them to the ground can go wrong in so many ways. It may stop them from doing something you don't want them to do, but if you slip just an inch and they land the wrong way and break their neck, it turns into a much worse situation . IMO, what the officer did is just as dangerous as clubbing her over the head or hitting her.

With the clear size difference, I believe the officer could have gotten her to the ground and restrained her without the need of the body slam. (he already had her in a defensive hold before slamming her down.)I'm sure it's a move that has been taught in officer training and the officer thought in that moment that it was best to use that move. Just type in "police body slam" in Youtube and you'll find all sorts of videos of officers using that same type of move. I don't think it was the right decision, regardless of the involvement this child had in the fight. I"m not asking for him to be fired, but a suspension may be in order.

Last edited by michealbond; 01-04-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
After watching the videos, I believe the force was excessive. IMO, this situation was very close to tragedy . If her arm had moved an inch or two lower before she landed, she definitely would have hit her head on the hard concrete floor. She easily could be in the hospital with a concussion or something much worse. Picking a person up and slamming them to the ground can go wrong in so many ways. It may stop them from doing something you don't want them to do, but if you slip just an inch and they land the wrong way and break their neck, it turns into a much worse situation . IMO, what the officer did is just as bad as clubbing her over the head or hitting her.

With the clear size difference, I believe the officer could have gotten her to the ground and restrained her without the need of the body slam. (he already had her in a defensive hold before slamming her down.)I'm sure it's a move that has been taught in officer training and the officer thought in that moment that it was best to use that move. Just type in "police body slam" in Youtube and you'll find all sorts of videos of officers using that same type of move. I don't think it was the right decision, regardless of the involvement this child had in the fight. I"m not asking for him to be fired, but a suspension may be in order.
FYI she did get a minor concussion, saw that on the news.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:23 AM

129 posts, read 178,893 times
Does anyone have any thoughts about the high school in general?
Are there problems with violence on a regular basis?
Not that it changes this situation at all, it has just made me wonder more about the over culture of the school.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
In an interview I saw, the girl was talking smack to the camera about how she is a minor and can do anything she wants and can't be treated like that.

Unfortunately, this kind of trash is what gives cops a bad name and God forbid their parents actually discipline their kid once in awhile for being an assclown. Naw, the parents are the ones teaching them this behavior.

So frustrating.
Do you have a link to that interview, or know where I can find it?

Old 01-04-2017, 11:52 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Do you have a link to that interview, or know where I can find it?
It was on CBS Morning News about 4:30am EST. I cannot find a link.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:16 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhlebiczki View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts about the high school in general?
Are there problems with violence on a regular basis?
Not that it changes this situation at all, it has just made me wonder more about the over culture of the school.
Relatively new school, cost over $70 million, 4 floors.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I question the role of school resource officers in general. My son goes to a very highly regarded middle school in WCPSS and the SRO seems like a pretty nice guy, but what is te point of him being there? I know he did do a talk to the kids about drugs where he told them that he'd done marijuana himself. So what message did that send? Do drugs and one day you can be a cop like me?

Also, fights in school were happening back in the good old days when we were all in school and there wasn't a cop to break them up the school handled it. I think there are fights in schools fairly often, certainly are at my son's school.

This officer was out of line. If we continue to have SRO, then I think they should be very extensively trained on matters of youth development, psychology, etc. working in a school isn't a typical cop job.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:13 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
If you are trying to remove someone from a fight - and make no mistake, when this girl decided to try and pull the one girl off of her sister, she was PART OF THE FIGHT - and you pick them up and gently place them down on their own two feet the first thing they are going to do is turn around and take a swing at you. Should she have been slammed down like that? No - but she was never gonna get put down on her feet, and she needs to own her contribution to the proceedings. The idea that these people should be treated differently because they are in school is ridiculous, they are humans at the height of an adrenaline rush - all of them. Bad things happen when the lizard part of our brains takes over.

Frankly, if I were an SRO I would just let them beat the cr@p out of each other until they wound themselves down and gave up to fatigue, and concentrate on getting the other kids out of there. Either that carry around spray bottle of water and spray them like you would animals who are fighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary