Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:22 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,594,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"but I'm reluctant to jump to a conclusion based on a snippet of video". .....Not sure what else short of her grabbing his weapon would justify that level of force by a school enforcement official. I don't care if that girl cold cocked him, there were other means at his disposal to de-escalate the situation. If he was unsure of how to properly handle the situation, he shouldn't be in that position of authority. He and his employer need to be sued into bankruptsy....send a message to all enforcement officials....actions like this will have extremely painful consequenses....maybe then activity like this might stop....IMO.

Regards
Gemstone1
No one is sure of what happened prior to that video snippet, that was and remains my point. It may be as bad as it appears or it may be that by his doing that he ended a situation that was thisclose to spiraling out of control.

I watched a video last year where a policeman in Florida was recorded slamming a shoplifter to the ground splitting her head open and requiring medical attention. However upon viewing the entire recording it was revealed that he went through every professional progression in an attempt to properly restrain the woman and she resisted the entire way, even after he warned her repeatedly. She openly admitted to shoplifting and kept insisting that she should be allowed to pay for the stolen merchandise instead of being arrested. The media however was all too happy to show the isolated snippet of video where she was eventually slammed to the ground. The snippet also edited out the piece where he immediately switched gears and tended to her head wound including immediately summoning an ambulance and despite finally restraining her, making her as comfortable as possible.

She broke the law, he was summoned to enforce the law and acted professionally through and through. But because of that isolated bit of video a mob of viewers were all too willing to demand he be fired.

We need to know the fuller story before condemning anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 07:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,486,062 times
In an interview I saw, the girl was talking smack to the camera about how she is a minor and can do anything she wants and can't be treated like that.

Unfortunately, this kind of trash is what gives cops a bad name and God forbid their parents actually discipline their kid once in awhile for being an assclown. Naw, the parents are the ones teaching them this behavior.

So frustrating.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:29 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,316,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
In an interview I saw, the girl was talking smack to the camera about how she is a minor and can do anything she wants and can't be treated like that.

Unfortunately, this kind of trash is what gives cops a bad name and God forbid their parents actually discipline their kid once in awhile for being an assclown. Naw, the parents are the ones teaching them this behavior.

So frustrating.
There's a difference between discipline and doing something that could cause legitimate harm. Nobody would be ok with a parent body slamming their child as a part of their discipline regimen.

There were obviously things prior to the act that whoever filmed the video deemed "not necessary" or "not helpful to the case", which is ridiculous and happens all the time. But still that girl is tiny and unarmed there's no excuse for a body slam.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:39 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,283,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree I would like to see what happened first....but this girl is tiny. I'm thinking my 12 year old could restrain her without a tackle. That said if you're in the melee and the SRO hasn't seen the incident from the get-go, isn't it kind of hard for him to know who the first participants were? I wouldn't want to get in the middle of that - nothing worse than a girl fight!

Mom is behaving like expected - her older daughter was in the fight, but no word of any accountability there.
Size has NOTHING to do with the fight inside a person. Especially with females. I've seen 5ft women go HULK.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:40 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,486,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I just can't understand why these videos *never* show what happened in the moments before the incident.

That being said, I don't see how this could possibly be acceptable.
Me neither; I seen the second video and it left me even more confused.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:44 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,406,718 times
Did y'all look at the longer video (1 minute) of the fight on the News & Observer's site that NYRaleighite linked to? Second video shows fight that leads to police officer slamming Rolesville student to floor | News & Observer

You can see the two girls who are fighting. Someone from the school — a teacher, or assistant principal (walkie-talkie on his belt, in a tie) — is there and is getting control of the two girls who are fighting. THEN the school resource officer comes in (where was he before??) and body slams the sister, who was not fighting from what we can see in this longer video.

That officer should be fired. Flat out. If he can't restrain a 100lb teenage girl without body slamming her he doesn't know how to do his job. He's a freaking School Resource Officer!! He's supposed to be trained to deal with teens! No excuse for that behavior. If the assistant principal or teacher can handle it w/o excessive force then the SRO should be able to too. It's a freaking fight between two little teenage girls — not an active shooter situation. If he can't tell the difference he should be fired. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him brought up on assault charges, either. Definitely should be looking for a new career, though. Maybe he can be a bouncer, or try out for the WWF.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,486,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Nobody would be ok with a parent body slamming their child as a part of their discipline regimen.
Of course not, what I meant is that if these kids had any discipline to begin with, they likely wouldn't be acting up like this in the first place.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:46 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,406,718 times
This kid was reportedly trying to break up the fight!

Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,316,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Of course not, what I meant is that if these kids had any discipline to begin with, they likely wouldn't be acting up like this in the first place.
Well yeah, obviously. But that doesn't mean you can just body slam every kid with crappy parents.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 AM

5,486 posts, read 6,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This kid was reportedly trying to break up the fight!

Yes, and the officer was reportedly attempting to adjust her halo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary