Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to Raleigh area, did you make the right choice?
Yes 56 63.64%
No 17 19.32%
Between Yes and No 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:17 PM

7 posts, read 30,794 times

Advertisements

I am a software engineer. I am considering to move from NY to Raleigh, NC.

I will like to get some feedbacks from people who have moved from NY to Raleigh area and have liked it or not? and why?

I would really appreciate any points of views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
2 words: bible belt. I visited Charlotte twice and the bible influence was super strong and made me super uncomfortable. I have no clue if it is still like that now. And no clue if the whole state is like that but it was too religious and preachy for me down there.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times
I didnt move here from NY, from CA, but have to say I have no idea what the previous poster is talking about with regards to bible influence. I have been here four years, LOVE it, and have not had one person preach or otherwise to me. Sure there are a lot of churches here....doesnt affect or bother me.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
2 words: bible belt. I visited Charlotte twice and the bible influence was super strong and made me super uncomfortable. I have no clue if it is still like that now. And no clue if the whole state is like that but it was too religious and preachy for me down there.
But the OP wasn't asking about Charlotte. He asked about Raleigh and the RTP area, where the "Bible Belt" influence is mostly minimal. Actually, personally, I don't find the Bible presence to be too overwhelming in Charlotte either, but it's certainly quite a bit less in the Triangle.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ummm, for someone who hates NC so much, sure is interesting that you landed in this forum.

He asked for feedback from people who have moved here. You don't fall into that category.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We moved here 2 years ago and we've been happy with the move. Just a better all around standard of living. Don't know what else to say since I don't know what you're looking for. All I'll say is be sure you are really looking for a change and not the same type of thing in a different location. There are a lot of people who move here and believe it or not, they miss the rudeness. THey call it "being real" but the truth is, I think they miss being rude themselves and getting away with it. Down here people just won't "get into it" with you. When I go back to NY I can't believe how unbelievably rude people are, not to mention how dirty everything is (even my kids comment on that).

Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Considering people have been moving here from NY and the rest of the northeast for about 40 plus years and more and more come each year, often eventually bringing their relatives down too, like my wifes family, I'd say most of them don't find it that objectionable.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:02 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Considering people have been moving here from NY and the rest of the northeast for about 40 plus years and more and more come each year, often eventually bringing their relatives down too, like my wifes family, I'd say most of them don't find it that objectionable.
Blue lines indicate inbound migration, while red lines indicate outbound:

(Screen cap from interactive map found at Forbes.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone from NY who has moved to the Triangle and really likes it?-raleighinbound.jpg  

Old 06-17-2012, 04:47 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlarrier View Post
I am a software engineer. I am considering to move from NY to Raleigh, NC.

I will like to get some feedbacks from people who have moved from NY to Raleigh area and have liked it or not? and why?

I would really appreciate any points of views.
We moved here from Buffalo three years ago. My husband is a software engineer. He was telecommuting until recently when the company shut down his division. He recently accepted a position. There are software opposites, but it is quite competitive.

If you would like more info, please PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary