Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,093,326 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what areas you would compare in NC to Central Fl Suburbs. What is similar to say Lake Mary, Longwood, Sanford? Is the convenience the same? Are the stores located close by? Do you like it better in NC or FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,990 times
Well, not a direct move -- but I grew up in Winter Park (Lake Sue, off Old Winter Park Rd.) and family still live there.

Lake Mary/Longwood remind me most of North Raleigh. Altamonte Springs reminds me of Cary -- and like those three Fla. towns, there's some interchangeability there.

We chose Durham, the nicest neighborhoods of which (like Hope Valley or Trinity Park) remind me a tiny bit of some of the nice in-town neighborhoods in WP... like the College Quarter around Rollins, or some of the Lake Sue non-waterfront blocks. Overall, though, the parts of Durham I love remind me much more of places like College Park, Thornton Park, Colonialtown, and Audubon Park in Orlando. Like Orlando, Durham's a diverse city, and there are parts of the Bull City that remind me more of Parramore or West Orange, too. Like Orlando, you take the good with the bad.

Johnston County is sort of the Volusia County of the area, on the other hand. East Wake reminds me of east Orange Co., both in terms of development type and commuting distances.

RTP reminds me most of the Maitland Center/Heathrow areas... except way, way bigger with real businesses and jobs. And of course, there's nothing like Duke or UNC in central Florida.

Would I ever go back and live in Orlando? Never. There's honestly more culture, more things to do, more career opportunities in the Triangle than in Mouse Town. No going back for me.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:13 AM

51 posts, read 223,649 times
Becky! Are you looking to relocate to Raleigh from FL? I live in Lake Mary and is in the process of relocating to Raleigh? Lets talk if you are!

Leavinfl07

Old 06-15-2007, 04:51 AM

Thanks for all the info. It helps alot. I've been there twice and hope to visit again soon.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 AM

leavinflo7
Funny, I live in the Lake Mary area also. I'm looking to locate to NC probably next spring. I have to wait for my daughter to graduate from high school. Have you visited there before? If so, what areas did you like?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:03 AM

Bull City Rising,
How about Apex? Does N. Raleigh cover a large area or does it it have different areas? I'm looking for something that has good schools, low crime, and convenient to all the stores. I like to be with in 10 minutes of all the stores. Don't want to be out in the country either. I really like the convenience that Lake Mary has to offer. I want to have at least a half an acre also. I'm tired of these cookie cutter subs. I visited Cary, HS, and FV about 5 years ago but I've heard that they've changed alot in terms of growing. I'm originally from PA but will never go back to those long winters.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:21 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Bull City Rising,
How about Apex? Does N. Raleigh cover a large area or does it it have different areas? I'm looking for something that has good schools, low crime, and convenient to all the stores. I like to be with in 10 minutes of all the stores. Don't want to be out in the country either. I really like the convenience that Lake Mary has to offer. I want to have at least a half an acre also. I'm tired of these cookie cutter subs. I visited Cary, HS, and FV about 5 years ago but I've heard that they've changed alot in terms of growing. I'm originally from PA but will never go back to those long winters.
I'd consider Apex to be "similar" to Lake Mary... though less upscale, IMHO, than Lake Mary or Longwood, though it's getting there.

Though I'd warn that if you're looking to avoid cookie-cutter subdivisions, you're going to find a lot of those kind of subdivisions in Apex, Holly Springs, etc. ... less of that (but some) in Cary ... much less of that in Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham. But then, there's tradeoffs to what you pay in price and so forth.

The half an acre is going to be a dead-stop for most of these towns for new development. Older development, you may find something. I'll defer to folks who know these areas more to chime in on this as I'm more a Durham guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary