Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM

58 posts, read 286,183 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in the triangle. Currently we live in northern suburbs of Dallas TX. I'd like to get some personal experience from people who did the same in recent years. I am married and we have a 5 year old. Wife does not work, she might go back to school, I see there are several universities nearby.
How is the cost of living? I think it should be similar except there is no state income tax in TX. Which areas are similar to Richardson, Plano, Allen, Mckinney?
How are the people in the area? We are not going to buy a house in the near future, which places are reasonable for renting a house or townhouse? Are the public schools good? I think the climate is milder, but is it very humid in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
I moved my family here about a year ago from Frisco and we will be heading asap.
NC is not for us.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
my dad lives in denison and loves it out here. only thing keeping him moving is he needs to stay near his mom and dad to help them out...

Old 07-21-2011, 05:29 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
I lived in the N. Dallas area for four years prior to moving to Cary. Overall, I prefer Cary to N. Dallas.

Here are a list of what I consider Pros for each.

Cary: Pros
-the Triangle area has more natural beauty and diverse landscape.
-while both are miserably hot in the summer, Dallas heat is unbearable.
-being from the northeast, I prefer the people in the Triangle. Less pretentiousness and "keeping up with the Jones'".
-I don't consider the beach to be close to the Triangle, but you can get there in a few hours. Dallas is landlocked.
-I found Tx to be a bit "Christian conservative". Lot's of crosses hanging in people's homes, Christian businessmen (crooks). Religion is not as "in your face" here in the Triangle.

N. Dallas: Pros
-Cost of living is considerably less than the Triangle. Housing is at least 10-20% less for similar homes.
-Better dining options. TX bbq blows away E. Carolina bbq. TexMex does not exist here. TX steak houses are amazing.
-I love to play golf so this may not apply, but there are more/better/cheaper options in Dallas.
-Better entertainment options in TX.

Schools are similar, although we did love our elementary school in Tx. Your kids will be fine in either place.

Of course, YMMV.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
theS5 hit the nail on the head. I agree with everything he/she said.

My wife and I moved here from Carrollton (Marsh @ Rosemeade) with our then 10 months old son back in 2006. I had lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area for 21 years (Hulen area of Ft Worth, Bedford, North Richland Hills, and Carrollton). My wife was born and raised in Dallas.

We decided to move here after researching many areas of the US, looking for a smaller city, cooler climate, more trees, more outdoor activities, moderate cost of living, etc. But it had to have job opportunites for both of us and we wanted to have an international airport nearby. We love it here, except for a few things.

Job opportunities are less for both myself (telecom SW engineer) and my wife (occupational therapist). And this is not just because of the recession.

Not nearly as many restaurants to choose from here as there were in Dallas. Our opinion may be skewed though because we lived within 10 minutes of Addisson, which is probably the restaurant capital of the entire Dallas/Fort Worth area.

The cost of real estate is more expensive here, and there is a state income tax. On the plus side, property taxes are much less and your homeowners insurance is much less (not as many tornados/hail storms to worry about). Cost of living is similar otherwise, except for gasoline. NC has a high gas tax. We're currently paying $3.65 for regular unleaded now.

Cary is most like Plano and north Carrollton, IMO. Not sure about Frisco and Allen, as I didn't go that far north very often.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negtive View Post
I moved my family here about a year ago from Frisco and we will be heading asap.
NC is not for us.
You could actually help the OP by explaining why NC is not for you and what is better about Dallas. sorry things aren't working out here for you.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 AM

286 posts, read 685,453 times
I also agree with theS5's post. I moved here from the Houston area but lived all over Texas from El Paso to Waco, Corpus, Houston, etc. I miss the steaks, BBQ, TexMex, and my Texas income. I miss being able to walk into any hospital and be hired on the spot with a really nice sign on bonus.

With that said, I love fall in NC. I love that there is a possiblity of a white Christmas each year. I love being able to hike in the mountains one weekend and then hit the beach the next.

~Amy

Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM

30 posts, read 177,693 times
Moved from Dallas/Ft Worth area about a year ago, agree 100% with theS5 about the generalities (many reasons why I'm glad I'm HERE and not THERE) and NewUser about the jobs.

I am somewhat surprised by the number of ozone action days here, definitely comparable to Dallas area. And if you care about clean air and water, we've got fracking coming here soon, just like Texas.

Last edited by timd2010; 07-21-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
You could actually help the OP by explaining why NC is not for you and what is better about Dallas. sorry things aren't working out here for you.
I'd rather do that in a DM, my views would not be appreciated in the public forum.

OP, if you want you can DM me and I can share my view which is a bit different than the other posters.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
I miss the steaks, BBQ,
BBQ ?? Arguing about BBQ is almost a sport here. I assume you are talking about Texas style brisket, which is available at a few places in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary