Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I assume you are talking about Texas style brisket. . . . . .
Like she said. . . . . BBQ !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 AM

58 posts, read 286,183 times
We are not into the cultural or dining scene, those aspects don't matter. We do like outdoors and that's something I like about N. Carolina. Actually, I have been to the area 5-6 years ago for one day. There were lots of trees and I'd love the proximity of mountains and sea. DFW is pretty flat, honestly I don't like the artificial lakes and man-made parks here. You have to drive at least 5-6 hours to see some nice terrain.

From my brief reading the forum, Chapel Hill and Cary sounds like reasonable places. Since we are not planning to buy a house in the next few years, how is the rent situation? How much would it cost to rent a 3-4 bedroom townhouse or house in those areas, nearby good public schools?

The job is in Triangle Research Park. I assume the commute won't be a problem from those areas, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I lived in the N. Dallas area for four years prior to moving to Cary. Overall, I prefer Cary to N. Dallas.

Here are a list of what I consider Pros for each.

Cary: Pros
-the Triangle area has more natural beauty and diverse landscape.
-while both are miserably hot in the summer, Dallas heat is unbearable.
-being from the northeast, I prefer the people in the Triangle. Less pretentiousness and "keeping up with the Jones'".
-I don't consider the beach to be close to the Triangle, but you can get there in a few hours. Dallas is landlocked.
-I found Tx to be a bit "Christian conservative". Lot's of crosses hanging in people's homes, Christian businessmen (crooks). Religion is not as "in your face" here in the Triangle.

N. Dallas: Pros
-Cost of living is considerably less than the Triangle. Housing is at least 10-20% less for similar homes.
-Better dining options. TX bbq blows away E. Carolina bbq. TexMex does not exist here. TX steak houses are amazing.
-I love to play golf so this may not apply, but there are more/better/cheaper options in Dallas.
-Better entertainment options in TX.

Schools are similar, although we did love our elementary school in Tx. Your kids will be fine in either place.

Of course, YMMV.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommatidia View Post
From my brief reading the forum, Chapel Hill and Cary sounds like reasonable places. Since we are not planning to buy a house in the next few years, how is the rent situation? How much would it cost to rent a 3-4 bedroom townhouse or house in those areas, nearby good public schools?

The job is in Triangle Research Park. I assume the commute won't be a problem from those areas, right?
You should have no problem renting a 3-4 bedroom house/townhome in Cary or Chapel Hill near a good public school. The real question is: How much are you willing to pay?

I'm willing to bet that you can expect a commute time of less than 30 minutes to any part of RTP, any time of the day, from any part of Chapel Hill or Cary. Well. . . . . . you might be over 30 minutes if you try to go from Park at Westlake in far south Cary all the way to the north-west corner of RTP.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
Have you considered Morrisville? very close to RTP, and I know there are a good many townhouse communities there. I also know people really love Morrisville Elementary.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Have you considered Morrisville? very close to RTP, and I know there are a good many townhouse communities there. I also know people really love Morrisville Elementary.
Good point. I would rent in Morrisville (closer to RTP for that commute) and it does have good schools. However, if I was buying, I'd take CH and Cary over Morrisville.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 AM

58 posts, read 286,183 times
What rent should I expect? In my current neighborhood, you can rent a 4 bedroom house for $1600-1800, townhouse probably less than $1500.

We can choose a 3 bedroom as well. Not looking for sophistication, just an average place is OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
You should have no problem renting a 3-4 bedroom house/townhome in Cary or Chapel Hill near a good public school. The real question is: How much are you willing to pay?

I'm willing to bet that you can expect a commute time of less than 30 minutes to any part of RTP, any time of the day, from any part of Chapel Hill or Cary. Well. . . . . . you might be over 30 minutes if you try to go from Park at Westlake in far south Cary all the way to the north-west corner of RTP.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
you're probably looking at around $1200 for a 3/2 townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary