Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to Raleigh area, did you make the right choice?
Yes 56 63.64%
No 17 19.32%
Between Yes and No 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:31 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Blue lines indicate inbound migration, while red lines indicate outbound:
I think your map post and your "similar threads" post are highly correlated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:53 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I linked this thread to one in the Long Island forum; in the half hour since I did, we've gotten 4 more NO responses on this thread.

Those NYers, such fun-loving heathens. So cranky when it gets hot out!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,974 times
Yes for me it was the right choice since the Quality of Life compared to NY is better FOR ME since I am close to my job in RTP and do not have to be in the rat race of driving to the Train Station to go to Penn Station then the NYC Subway to finally get to work.

Having a positive atttiude helps along way and make an effort to enjoy the area since I am amazed at some the responses here in what Raeligh needs or lacks compared to NY. Get out and enjoy Raleigh since there is alot to do and enjoy. It's not NY and that to me is a good thing with no slight to my hometown.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:51 AM

14 posts, read 74,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonlespaul View Post
Born and raised in Queens NY-Moved here 5 years ago due to a job relocation from Long Island. There are positives and negatives so guess I am a 50/50. Ask me tomorrow.

The negatives as compared to NYC are lack of public transportation, have to look to find your interests then drive to get there, beach is pretty far 2 1/2 to 4 hours depending on where u want to go, is way too conservative/family friendly, roads are not that great (lack of lights,ditches,not well marked) and very unfriendly to small business owners.

Positives as compared to NYC are the endless greenways, more laid back,no Guido's thinking they are members of the Soprano's, the fall/spring weather is awesome and the Biltmore Estate.

Overall depends on what you want and how you want to live your life. If you want non-stop action, nightlife,diners open 24/7, liberal views on social issues then Raleigh a tough spot. It's a conservative slice of Suburbia that caters to traditional family's that has awesome Universities and benefits from a highly educated population as a result of RTP business and the Universities. At times it's way too sleepy and could use some diverse cultural events such as a Salsa Night in Downtown Raleigh, a Pride Parade and a really good strip joint. Like a poster said good thing Jetblue is cheap so I can get a fix of NYC when I need my fix.

^^^^Pretty much agree with this (coming from Queens), with the slight exception about the roads. Roads are much better here even with the lack of lights and ditches.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
Yes, 6 years and love it...I'm honest and have to say I have my moments of "I wish I was back home around family and friends" {who hasn't in a new place} and considered moving back a few times over the 6 years here, but convinced myself to stay and that this is a better quality of life and his home now. I'm a long islander, born and raised there and have never lived anywhere else until moving to Raleigh in 2006.

I agree with the other posters, when I need a NYC/LI fix, I go back for a visit...but my visits have lessened over the years...going from 4-5 visits a year to 1-2...mainly because I don't yearn for NY as much and most of my family has relocated out of NY...I started a trend Also, there is plenty to do here, so much to see, from the coastal beaches to the mountains, to local eateries, DPAC shows, concerts, shopping, etc...My next visit is in September and I'm already dreading the drive up{have a dog}, but once I get there and I'm around friends/family it will be worth it.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do, but you won't be disappointed. I have never encountered a huge bible/religous influence here in the Triangle...Most of my colleagues are transplants from all over the country, including NY/NJ and of all races/cultures/etc...it's great...I'm still proud of my Italian/Irish heritage but it's nice to be around such a diverse group of people here....

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
2 words: bible belt. I visited Charlotte twice and the bible influence was super strong and made me super uncomfortable. I have no clue if it is still like that now. And no clue if the whole state is like that but it was too religious and preachy for me down there.
It is definitely still in the bible belt, we moved here from South Florida 5 yrs. ago ( born & raised in NYC) it was a big mistake, it is a beautiful state, but unless you have friends/family here it is very hard to make friends, also somewhat "backward" the natives hate change even if it's positive... Just my opinion, good luck!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
It is definitely still in the bible belt, we moved here from South Florida 5 yrs. ago ( born & raised in NYC) it was a big mistake, it is a beautiful state, but unless you have friends/family here it is very hard to make friends, also somewhat "backward" the natives hate change even if it's positive... Just my opinion, good luck!
I grew up here and still find some people to be backwards. I will say there is a huge difference between the central areas of the triangle and further out. From accents to attitude. I notice your location is Willow Speing, so that may have much todo with what you are seeing.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Have you considered selling your house in Willow Spring and moving further into the Triangle? You're out in the sticks. No wonder you're always unhappy.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 AM

103 posts, read 270,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
We moved here from Buffalo three years ago. My husband is a software engineer. He was telecommuting until recently when the company shut down his division. He recently accepted a position. There are software opposites, but it is quite competitive.

If you would like more info, please PM me.

How competitive are software positions in triangle?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
How competitive are software positions in triangle?
Highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary