Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times

Advertisements

How do I remove the old gearcase cover? Looks really worn and kit came with new.
From looks of sealant on right side, maybe need to pry old sealant loose?
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:00 AM

I got it...just a little gentle prying.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I got it...just a little gentle prying.
That's good news....any other questions call anytime...you have my number.

Gary

Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM

After a breakfast break and a store run for marine lube....here's the new gearcase cover.

As I suspected, the entire lower unit had sand everywhere. I sues a tiny screwdriver and my shop vac to break it loose and suction it all out.

Onto the new waterpump install....
Attached Thumbnails

Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Quote:
After a breakfast break and a store run for marine lube....here's the new gearcase cover.

As I suspected, the entire lower unit had sand everywhere. I sues a tiny screwdriver and my shop vac to break it loose and suction it all out.

Onto the new waterpump install....
Looks good MA. Please don't use any RTV or you or the next owner will be cursing you next time! Nothing is needed but I like to use Napa aviation sealer on stuff like this...never dries and holds the gasket on. I'm sure you know to make sure you have the gear shift splines lined up correctly before slapping it all back together.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM

So all of that work went smooth but still I'm lacking RPM and power underway. Changed the lower fuel filter but that didn't do it. Found a small hole in the fuel hose from the fuel pump to the upper filter. Will seek a replacement tomorrow and give another trial run.

Water pump still needed changing so it wasn't in vane.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
So all of that work went smooth but still I'm lacking RPM and power underway. Changed the lower fuel filter but that didn't do it. Found a small hole in the fuel hose from the fuel pump to the upper filter. Will seek a replacement tomorrow and give another trial run.

Next step would be to check your spark plugs to be none are wet and your getting good spark.

Also a compression test is easy to do while you have the plugs out.

One other thing is when you run the motor make sure exhaust comes out through the prop, it is very very unlikely but is you have an obstruction that would limit the power.

Gary

Gary

Last edited by MartyGras; 04-27-2014 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 07:55 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,543 times
Quote:

Ya didn't think the water pump would fix your power problem, did ya?

Is this a carbed or FI motor? Either way, a pinhole in a fuel line probably won't cause that problem either, as a bowl (carb or vapor separator) full of gas is a bowl full of gas, and the problem would only show up after prolonged high rpm if it was a small hole in the hose (bowl not refilling fast enough because it's sucking air). Replace it anyway, obviously. Hoses before the filters would have a slight vacuum so a leak might not be evident unless you pump the bulb. Pumping the bulb while underway and the problem is happening is an easy way to rule out a bad pump or lack of fuel..which I doubt you have.

What motor? What is your WOT RPM? Is this a recent problem or was it always like this...if the later could be propped wrong.

I agree with Gary, pull the plugs and see how they look. Compression check while they're out. If you need to borrow a comp tester let me know. If the plugs are old replace them (NAPA!).

If everything checks out you may have some crap in your carbs.

Knowing if "lack of RPMs" means 5200 or 4000 would help diagnose.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
If it's a newer, meaning computerized system and not a "dumb" carbureted engine, the computer may be telling the engine to not run WOT as a means of self preservation. For instance, mine (a Merc OB) will cut the speed down automatically to 3000 PRM if it senses a restriction in water flow, water temp, oil PSI, oil level in the main tank, etc.

Last edited by MikMal; 04-28-2014 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 05:31 PM

By newer, I'm guessing 1995 doesn't qualify, lol.
So today the upper fuel filter and fuel hose were replaced.
Still not the power I'm used to enjoying. Couldn't get over 25 MPH and about 3500RPM at WOT. I'm accustomed to 37-39 @ 5200 depending on chop.

Going to run compression test tomorrow. This is the 2+2 cylinder. Supposed to fire all 4 at about 1700 rpm.
Wondering if I'm only running on 2 cylinders at all times?

Could change out fuel pump but then I'm likely gonna have to take it to a shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte