Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying a BlueChart g2 Vision card for my Garmin GPS/FF. They're a bit pricy and I'm looking for input as to if they're worth it if you do most of your fishing here in the harbor. Any input, good or bad, would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
I love mine but I learned a big lesson while shopping for them.
There are lots of copied versions available all over the web for 1/4 the price of a new one from Garmin.

The first one I bought from an amazon private seller ended up being a Canadian map. I got my hundred dollars refunded immediately. The second one I bought from an ebay seller who advertised it as a new, unopened, original product. He even had pics in his ad of the Garmin packaging. I bought it for 100 and when I got it, it was a copied SD card. I emailed the seller and complained about his ad touting this as new. He refunded my money and let me keep it! Works great but it does show my position slightly off of exact. If I zoom in and stop the boat right next to a known marker piling, it shows I'm about ten feet off. I'd be very careful using it in the darkness.

But the detail is like looking at google earth imagery. And you gotta love paying "free-99".

Old 05-05-2014, 04:53 AM

114 posts, read 172,714 times
MikMal, I have a Garmin 4210 on the Pescador, and the Blucharts are good, however I find I use my Navionics app more for charting. The Garmin has a 10" screen, but the resolution is poor. I mostly use it for a depth sounder.

If you have an IPad, get a waterproof case, and download the Navionics app for $55. The accuracy is as good, and the resolution and options are much better.

If you don't have an IPad, any androis tablet will run the Navionics app, and it is only $10. For the price of the Bluechart, you could buy a cheap droid tablet and the app, and it will be multifunctional, touchscreen, and easier to use.

The fishing was slw last night, just a couple of Bonnetheads by Marker 2. I am heading out now to fish a side channel in the Myakka cutoff. There was a lot of action last time I went through. Hopefully, they are hungry this morning.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 AM

45 posts, read 63,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukenyc View Post
If you have an IPad, get a waterproof case, and download the Navionics app for $55. The accuracy is as good, and the resolution and options are much better.

If you don't have an IPad, any androis tablet will run the Navionics app, and it is only $10. For the price of the Bluechart, you could buy a cheap droid tablet and the app, and it will be multifunctional, touchscreen, and easier to use.
Am I correct in guessing that you need a cellular iPad / Android for the Navionics app to work? So the monthly connection charges are going to raise the price a bit.

Very nice boat BTW!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:16 AM

No, you don't need to be connected to the network for GPS to work on an iPad.
I would be concerned for the heat factor though. I've had my iPad in the car while working and full sun through the windshield has raised heat warnings from the iPad.

BTW, there's a big difference between a Bluechart and a Bluechart VISION card. The Vision feature is what gives you the google earth quality graphics.

Frank says the Redfishing will be good today on the east side keys from noon - 7 PM on the incoming tide.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:37 AM

114 posts, read 172,714 times
I think my plotter is to old for the vision card, the screen just doesn't seem to have that level of resolution. I think the ipad is ok on the boat, at least mine has been. The car gets a lot hotter through the windshield, the boat has ventilation. At any rate, it's worth considering.

Slow day yesterday fishing, we are heading out now for the morning.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:25 PM

Yummy Gulf Lane Snapper for dinner...paired with Zatarrains Caribbeans Rice.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM

704 posts, read 771,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Yummy Gulf Lane Snapper for dinner...paired with Zatarrains Caribbeans Rice.
I know I'm very new here, but that sounds so good. It makes me want to learn to fish.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 AM

This is a great place to learn. You have 12 months of the year to practice. Even when you're just fishing, and not catching, you get the added benefit of enjoying our clean air and beautiful sights in nature.

So, boater anglers...last time I put the boat on the trailer, while trouble shooting my engine issues, it was a very high tide. I didn't give proper attention to my outboard tilt and dragged my skeg up the ramp. Ouch!
The old owner had already put a hard plastic skeg cover on in the past and I tore that open. I researched welding a new one on but that was gonna cost about $140. I bought a stainless steel skeg guard online for $69 plus shipping, totaling $80.

It took me a while to get the old one off because it was glued or adhered in place with some really strong epoxy. A borrowed grinder helped cut it off. The original wasn't bad, save for one quarter sized ding in it. I scrapped all that old epoxy off, tapped the new one in place with a rubber mallet, drilled two holes and secured the new skeg in place. It comes with shear bolts, in case you suffer a blunt force strike, and is designed to give itself up in hopes of saving your lower unit. Let's hope I don't have to find out.

It matches nicely with my stainless prop, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  

Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
This is a great place to learn. You have 12 months of the year to practice. Even when you're just fishing, and not catching, you get the added benefit of enjoying our clean air and beautiful sights in nature.

So, boater anglers...last time I put the boat on the trailer, while trouble shooting my engine issues, it was a very high tide. I didn't give proper attention to my outboard tilt and dragged my skeg up the ramp. Ouch!
The old owner had already put a hard plastic skeg cover on in the past and I tore that open. I researched welding a new one on but that was gonna cost about $140. I bought a stainless steel skeg guard online for $69 plus shipping, totaling $80.

It took me a while to get the old one off because it was glued or adhered in place with some really strong epoxy. A borrowed grinder helped cut it off. The original wasn't bad, save for one quarter sized ding in it. I scrapped all that old epoxy off, tapped the new one in place with a rubber mallet, drilled two holes and secured the new skeg in place. It comes with shear bolts, in case you suffer a blunt force strike, and is designed to give itself up in hopes of saving your lower unit. Let's hope I don't have to find out.

It matches nicely with my stainless prop, I think.
Wow - like chrome headers on a big block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte